Green/Black Deck Ideas

• Hey, I am new to Vintage and have been composing deck ideas. I am a fairly competitive Modern and EDH player, however since I am unfamiliar with a lot of Vintage cards and strategies I am at a disadvantage. I wanted to compose a Green and Black deck as those are my favorite colors to run. The idea of a discard deck seemed fun, but wasn't sure if that was a bad idea in the format. Feel free to educate me.

• @Essentialrennat said in Green/Black Deck Ideas:

Hey, I am new to Vintage and have been composing deck ideas. I am a fairly competitive Modern and EDH player, however since I am unfamiliar with a lot of Vintage cards and strategies I am at a disadvantage. I wanted to compose a Green and Black deck as those are my favorite colors to run. The idea of a discard deck seemed fun, but wasn't sure if that was a bad idea in the format. Feel free to educate me.

Welcome to Vintage! My first deck in the format was GB Dark Times, a Dark Depths list that used Dark Confidant for Card Advantage, disruption in the form of Discard, Leyline of the Void, etc and a quick kill with either Hexmage or now Thespians Stage, and Helm of Obedience to combo with Leyline of the Void. I'm not sure how viable the deck would be nowadays but you could certainly try it out. If you would like any assistance brewing up a list I'll gladly contribute.

• I think the best place you can start is a BUG Leovold deck. I guess there's an up to date thread here on the Drain. Plain Black/Green feels clunky. Dark Depths could work, but I'd say bet the monoB version is just better although I don't have much experience with the deck.

• @Essentialrennat Misdirection is at an all time low in terms of usage and Mind Twist is unrestricted! If you play competitive modern I assume you have access to Gyofs? When I first broke into vintage I played B/W Mentor with like 6 Durress effects and Cabal Therapies and a mind twist for the random blowout effects. If G/B is your preference you can try something with Gyofs, a similar discard package, Mind Twist(s) and Abrupt Decays.

Happy Brewing!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.