Hatebears with Mayor of Avabruck

• I saw these a while back. Did Chalice getting restricted hurt/kill this?

• Akash has been playing a 5c humans list feat. Mayor, Mantis Rider and Reflector Mage to some success:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/392570#online

• Thank you!

• Pyromancer and mentor did much more damage IMHO than restriction of chalice to hatebears (which often played stony silence over chalice btw). Typically hatebears base their strategy on a lock (soft or hard, depending on the build) coupled with mid aggro. Against token strategies the aggro kill is harder than ever, since a single token means that your 2/1 creature cannot attack without dying in the process. Mass removal is one of the best answers against those decks, but hatebears cannot use it.

Also aggro versions of mud and the increment of triskelion complicate existence of hatebears, same as oath decks that work against containment priest.

Those have been the problems of humans and alike, and not the restriction of chalice...

• Hatebears relies largely on white x/1s. With so many random Sulfur Elementals, Dread of Nights, and Bolts in the meta, it can't prey on the traditional lack of capacity to interact. It was a different world when everybody had Hurkyl's for Spheres and nothing for Thalia.

• One positive is I think in game one a storm deck is far softer to Thalia and Aegis than artifacts. We're talking Chain of Vapor as the only removal in most standard Internet builds.

The time period between Young Pyromancer and Illness of the Ranks was a very frustrating time to play GWB beats because of the anti-delver splash damage. People were playing Electrickery for god's sake. As for tokens, Illness helps immensely, the 3 mana solutions are pretty unreliable in a world where you are trying to stick Thorn effects. The MUD decks being mentioned come way down to Earth with Stony Silence in play. Ravager is pretty mediocre as Arc Bound Worker, Hangarback is susceptible to Swords and can't pump with a rod out. Trike is a bad Composite Golem.

If you suspect -X/-X effects there is a human. He's pretty vanilla. There's also many enchantments that pump your team. This highlights one of the Mayor's weaknesses, he doesn't pump himself and is a crappy 1/1. Why he couldn't have at least been 1/2 is beyond me.

alt text

• @nedleeds said:

One positive is I think in game one a storm deck is far softer to Thalia and Aegis than artifacts. We're talking Chain of Vapor as the only removal in most standard Internet builds.

The time period between Young Pyromancer and Illness of the Ranks was a very frustrating time to play GWB beats because of the anti-delver splash damage. People were playing Electrickery for god's sake. As for tokens, Illness helps immensely, the 3 mana solutions are pretty unreliable in a world where you are trying to stick Thorn effects. The MUD decks being mentioned come way down to Earth with Stony Silence in play. Ravager is pretty mediocre as Arc Bound Worker, Hangarback is susceptible to Swords and can't pump with a rod out. Trike is a bad Composite Golem.

If you suspect -X/-X effects there is a human. He's pretty vanilla. There's also many enchantments that pump your team. This highlights one of the Mayor's weaknesses, he doesn't pump himself and is a crappy 1/1. Why he couldn't have at least been 1/2 is beyond me.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually like True Believer in hate bears. Aegis of the Gods is a little easier to cast, but dies to Nature's Claim. True believer also turns off Ancestral Recall though so I guess there's that.

alt text vs alt text

• I've been running 5 colour humans for a couple years now. Been through a bunch of versions but my record with my current build is the best so far. Might just be because of the meta right now or maybe it's the build or maybe it's the addition of a few new humans (reflector mage and scab-clan berserker). Not sure at this point. What I do know is, the deck is still lacking 1 more 2 drop human that hasn't been printed yet with an enter the battlefield trigger.
    Mayor is great. I've tried versions without it but not as good.
    Older lists I've run played abrupt decay/stony silence/swords/bolts/tutors/ancestral recall... but playing all those spells takes a toll on your life total with the 8 rainbow lands. Not to mention, against blue opponents, there hand is full of counters since they can't counter any of the creatures. Stony silence is hit or miss so it's in the board.
    Reflector mage sort of fills the role of swords and bolts so I've gone to a mostly all creature list.

Here's the list I'm currently running. It's not perfect so any criticism is welcome.

4 cavern of souls
    4 mana confluence
    4 city of brass
    4 wasteland
    1 strip mine
    2 ghost quarter

4 dark confidant
    4 thalia
    4 reflector mage
    3 noble heirarch
    3 mayor of avarbruck
    2 deathrite shaman
    2 scab clan berserker
    2 meddling mage
    1 mantis rider
    1 containment priest
    1 manic vandal
    1 ancient grudge
    1 time walk
    2 sudden shock
    3 thorn of amethyst
    5 mox
    1 lotus

SIDEBOARD
    2 aegis of the gods
    2 stony silence
    2 containment priest
    3 grafdiggers cage
    2 ancient grudge
    2 rest in peace
    2 ingot chewer

• Chalice of the Void getting restricted is good for the Hatebears player, as facing X = 2 is a silver bullet.

• @taef said:

Chalice of the Void getting restricted is good for the Hatebears player, as facing X = 2 is a silver bullet.

You clearly know very little about Hatebears. There's this 4-of called Cavern of souls. There's also a card called Abrupt Decay. They both, umm. . . exist.

-Storm

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.