What am I doing wrong?

• I've gotten better and am now fairly consistently going 3-1 in the vintage daily tournaments on MTGO under the username jmabry0163, but I can never quite get to the 4-0 mark, or top the power nine challenge when those come around. I've been playing UW Mentor and getting the best results from that(after switching AWAY from dredge. Any suggestions from those who I've played against/general advice for someone newer to the format.

Thanks in advance.

To the admins: Not sure what category to put this in, move it if I chose wrong.

EDIT: Link to my decklist is here, http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-daily-2017-03-23

• @jmabry An issue with your version of Mentor is that you are missing a critical component of the Gush-Delve-Cantrip draw engine and that is the looting of Dack and JVP. Those two cards allow you to convert the extra lands you are putting in your hand into new cards and prevent the flooding that Gush decks used to run into before Dack was printed. That and Pyroblast is a critical card against the mirror and PO as its the most efficient way of dealing with opposing Planeswalkers. There is a reason the UWR version of Mentor have been putting up the most consistent results. If you feel like you've hit a wall with UW, I would consider adding the third color.

Edit: The looting isn't just for lands - it's also for the narrow answers the format requires. You are going to draw Flusterstorms and Missteps against Shops or Swords against Outcomes and they'll rot in your hand unless you draw that one of Brainstorm.

• @ChubbyRain That makes some sense, and the version I've been seeing topping more consistently has definately been UWr. I find that another card I'm losing to a lot is Eldrazi Displacer, which could still be fixed in red with maybe a Lightning Bolt or two in the 75.

I'll do some playing with the list and see what happens, but I've certainly been getting better results here than I was out of dredge.

• @jmabry said in What am I doing wrong?:

@ChubbyRain That makes some sense, and the version I've been seeing topping more consistently has definately been UWr. I find that another card I'm losing to a lot is Eldrazi Displacer, which could still be fixed in red with maybe a Lightning Bolt or two in the 75.

I'll do some playing with the list and see what happens, but I've certainly been getting better results here than I was out of dredge.

Depending on the exact configuration of your deck, I would consider Pithing Needle as an answer to Displacer, Ravager, Bazaar, Griselbrand, Dack, etc... Bolt has been somewhat underwhelming for me in Mentor builds. I like it with Pyromancer as you want some form of reach to augment your 1/1s, but Mentor is much more efficient at closing out the game.

• Administrators

@jmabry said in What am I doing wrong?:

Not that there's anything wrong with ChubbyRain's advice, but the difference between people who 3-1 and 4-0 consistently has a LOT more to do with playskill than decklist. For sure, you should try out some other cards if you don't think the cards you have are performing, but if your goal is 4-0's, your focus should be on play above all else.

There's plenty of resources online, written by far better players than me, teaching better play, but the basics are pretty universal.

• Play as many games as you can. Honestly assess why you win the games you win and lose the games you lose.

• When you run into a tough decision, remember or record that game state, and go back over it later (even if you win the game). Ask other people what they would have done - TMD is a great place to do this.

• Play the game against or alongside friends. Talk through your plays with them and figure out why you differ.

• Try playing problem matchups from both sides of the table to get a handle on what cards your opponent is worried about

The online metagame moves fast. In a week, your perfectly tuned list might be worthless. Learn to play with a variety of cards, learn to evaluate what's causing you to win or lose, and you'll start picking up those 4-0's soon enough :D

• I tried the red splash, and I am definately going back to the UW version, maybe trying a green splash. I've been having friends go back over the recorded MTGO games with me and see what they would do differently and why, and that's what helped me go from 2-2 to 3-1. The goal is definately picking up some 4-0's.

• TMD Supporter

Does it seem like you are losing a lot to thorn decks? You have 6 cards main that are completely dead to Shops and Eldrazi and the amount of cantrips you are playing can really be a liability. If you aren't going to play red for a card like Dack you should definitely play a Jace. Snapcaster mage is a great card but can really hurt when you are being taxed out of a game and can't cast two spells in a single turn. Just my two cents.

• I find that the card I lose most often to is Eldrazi Displacer, and second is Thorn of Amethyst. You've hit the nail on the head with that accessment. Jace is on the list of cards that I was considering definately.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.