[AKH] As Foretold

• alt text

*As Foretold
    2U
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a time counter on As Foretold.

Once each turn, you may pay 0 rather than pay the mana cost for a spell you cast with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of time counters on As Foretold.*

Is this what finally makes Ancestral Vision playable?

• perhaps even more disgusting with Restore Balance, considering you won't need lands anymore.

• Pretty sick in Legacy with those free brainstorms.

• Hooray it's Aether Vial for spells! Except it costs 2U instead of 1. That's pretty bad.

I do think it has a significant edge in Vintage it does not have in other formats, namely, that here we are often shoving so many instant speed cantrips into our decks anyway that being able to cast spells each turn can start to generate significant mana and cards over time. So there's that.

Still, this takes soooo long to get moving. 2U, do nothing. (Unless you're playing Ancestral Visions in Vintage which is a Bad Time.) Wait a turn or 2, okay, now we can start doing stuff. Is there a control deck in Vintage that could do that?

• This post is deleted!

• @MaximumCDawg it's better than Brain in a Jar though. Also, there's Restore Balance and Lotus Bloom. I'm not at all saying it's good enough for Vintage, but between those 3 cards and the ability to play 2 free spells per turn is interesting.

• It says once per turn, meaning you can also cast a spell on your opponents turn.

This card is a game changer. It's one of the single best cards I've ever seen them print. I'm not certain that the card is as broken in vintage, but this card single handily revolutionizes both modern and legacy. Yes, and legacy.

"Or less" most impressive words on the card. I cannot believe they printed this.

• TMD Supporter

Does this mean Ancestral Visions is getting a reprint soon? Or would that be too degenerate in other formats?

P.S. Dang, $30 on the pre-order!!

• I love how this doesn't care where the card is cast from. JVP'ing back an Ancestral Vision in Modern seems sooooo good. Pretty sure this doesn't work with Snapcaster Mage, though (can anyone confirm?)

• @ChubbyRain That would be correct. I'm not a rules lawyer or a judge, but the definition of flashback would seem to prevent this from working:

"Flashback is a keyword ability on instants and sorceries that allows the player to pay an alternative cost to play the spell directly from his or her graveyard."

In this same vein, it would allow a card to be cast from your graveyard after casting Yawg Will for free so long as it has casting cost less than or equal to the number of counters on As Foretold.

• I just got my preorder playset for $89....cause, yeah, it's going to be that good. I can already think of a dozen ways to abuse this. I'm more into Modern than anything now, and this card just broke that format open.

• Administrators

I get that people are excited about the card in Modern, but does anyone actually think the card has any use in vintage? The appeal of As Foretold+Ancestral Vision/Restore Balance is a lot smaller to me in a format where you could just run extra tutors for Ancestral Recall/Balance in that spot.

• Between this and the split card rules update it's time to give Vintage Hypergenesis another shot.

• Great.It helps great but heavy cards like Whir of Invention.

• @Brass-Man said in [AKH] As Foretold:

I get that people are excited about the card in Modern, but does anyone actually think the card has any use in vintage? The appeal of As Foretold+Ancestral Vision/Restore Balance is a lot smaller to me in a format where you could just run extra tutors for Ancestral Recall/Balance in that spot.

I agree. This card is too slow for Vintage.

In other formats, it's also probably too slow for its "normal" application. Would anyone play Aether Vial if it cost 3 mana? The only hesitation I have is that, in Modern, it actually can function as a quasi-Show and Tell with spells like Hypergenesis. You don't even need the Genesis in hand immediately, because you can start firing off your dig spells (Slight o' Hand, Serum Visions, whatever) each turn and find it. Seems like that could be a legitimate deck.

However, I think people pre-ordering at $30.00 based on that use case are going to be sorely disappointed. Look at the price trajectory of all sets since Return to Zendikar (Masterpieces start) and take note that NOTHING is breaking the 20 barrier over the first few months.

• @MaximumCDawg said in [AKH] As Foretold:

The only hesitation I have is that, in Modern, it actually can function as a quasi-Show and Tell with spells like Hypergenesis. You don't even need the Genesis in hand immediately, because you can start firing off your dig spells (Slight o' Hand, Serum Visions, whatever) each turn and find it. Seems like that could be a legitimate deck.

Hypergenesis is banned in Modern.

• The card in Modern that can break this is Restore Balance, although it's a deck yet to be proven. In Vintage, I hardly think this is good enough, being way too slow. There's something to be said about playing 5 Ancestral Recalls, but paying 3 mana to do nothing is not great at all.

• @The-Gremlin-Lord said in [AKH] As Foretold:

@MaximumCDawg said in [AKH] As Foretold:

The only hesitation I have is that, in Modern, it actually can function as a quasi-Show and Tell with spells like Hypergenesis. You don't even need the Genesis in hand immediately, because you can start firing off your dig spells (Slight o' Hand, Serum Visions, whatever) each turn and find it. Seems like that could be a legitimate deck.

Hypergenesis is banned in Modern.

That is a fair and relevant point. I guess it's only the black reanimator spell and maybe Balance-for-2U that modern cares about, huh?

• @MaximumCDawg There's also Ancestral Vision and Lotus Bloom. :)

• It's a shame that we don't have anything playable that proliferates. If only Tezzerets gambit was 2 and a phyrexian :)

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.