[AKH] Pull from Tomorrow

• alt text

Mana drain your spell, draw a lot of cards on my turn seems ok. Probably still not as good as gush or paradoxical outcome engines though. Still a step in the right direction for traditional big blue decks.

Thoughts?

EDIT: nvm, forgot Mindspring and Braingeyser were cards lol....

• :(

alt text

• @Dumpsterac1d oh nvm. Maybe the instant part helps. Guess this card isn't as good as I thought.

• There are a lot more "draw x cards" cards too... I wish this kind of thing was a blowout (it would be a super interesting state of Vintage) but we've had unrestricted geyser for... how long, folks? (IIRC it was restricted at one point) and there's been no place for it.

Either way, the fact that you could generate ~50 mana and deck someone is probably the best use for geyser, and that's not possible with Pull from Tomorrow. Not sure yet about AKH limited yet, but these kinds of cards are pretty good there.

• I don't think it will actually see much vintage play. But the instant speed does give it a leg up over braingeyser. A pretty significant one in my eyes. In a blue mirror of draw-go this can be done on opponents EoT. He either gives you massive card advantage or blows thru some counter magic stopping it.

• So, is discarding 1 extra card drawn better than simply drawing one less off Stroke of Genious? Not to mention double blue vs just one blue. Stroke dont see play anymore, I highly doubt this will.

• You should play Old School. There you can actually Drain something into Braingeyser.

• Braingeyser is not really a fair comparison, since there is a world of difference between tapping out on your main phase vs opponent's EOT. The card is nevertheless unplayable in Vintage, though it's interesting to see WotC continue to print such strong instant-speed card draw (see also: Sphinx's Revelation) in Standard. Maybe they've realized that the pendulum has swung way too far in the direction of midrange decks and will now throw some bones to control decks.

• @evouga I agree this is probably unplayable. Instant Speed Braingeyser is better than Braingeyser, but this card is almost always just worse than Stroke of Genius. Stroke only has one U in it's casting cost, making it easier to cast off of lots of artifact mana, and it can be used on your opponent to end the game in decks like High Tide. This card can't do either.

There is a corner case where this card is good, though, and that's where you want to dig in your deck deeply and put a particular card in the yard. I could see Worldgorger Dragon considering this card, for example. Mana Drain into this in a Dragon deck might legit end the game, since you can draw protection and possibly Animate dead, then bin the Dragon. At the same time, EOT pay UU to bin my Dragon to set up a win next turn is not horrible in a pinch, either.

Now, all we need is for Dragon to be good again :)

• Bulk rare

• It's not bulk rare because it can be great in Standard. Just not in Vintage.

• Don't some controlish lists (standstill etc) use a singleton Fact or Fiction/Forbidden Alchemy. Could this work there? Possibly for the same reason that Walking Ballista is good in shops?

• (to clarify, I mean the modality that comes with a varying casting cost, not the ability to dome your opponent)

• @John-Cox said in [AKH] Pull from Tomorrow:

Don't some controlish lists (standstill etc) use a singleton Fact or Fiction/Forbidden Alchemy.

No they don't...

edit: even if they did, FoF is better than this, as are Thirst for Knowledge and Gifts Ungiven.

• This is the 1st place deck from a daily on the 7th. Also note its the only hard control list on TC Decks front page. It has Gifts. I don't want to get into a fight over this vs Gifts et al, but I think this card might be worth trying in the right deck.
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=22845&iddeck=176705

• This card is completely unplayable in Vintage.

• This card is completely playable in Vintage.

• It will see no play.If the cost were "XU" then maybe.

• @MaximumCDawg said in [AKH] Pull from Tomorrow:

@evouga I agree this is probably unplayable. Instant Speed Braingeyser is better than Braingeyser, but this card is almost always just worse than Stroke of Genius. Stroke only has one U in it's casting cost, making it easier to cast off of lots of artifact mana, and it can be used on your opponent to end the game in decks like High Tide. This card can't do either.

There is a corner case where this card is good, though, and that's where you want to dig in your deck deeply and put a particular card in the yard. I could see Worldgorger Dragon considering this card, for example. Mana Drain into this in a Dragon deck might legit end the game, since you can draw protection and possibly Animate dead, then bin the Dragon. At the same time, EOT pay UU to bin my Dragon to set up a win next turn is not horrible in a pinch, either.

Now, all we need is for Dragon to be good again :)

Whether the cost is 2U or 1UU won't matter in 99% of the cases.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.