[AKH] Harsh Mentor

• 0_1491954239847_17880087_10154766594404215_6849230998753467246_o.jpg

Well this card is a game changer!

• TMD Supporter

Not sure how viable this it, but I'll be darned if this doesn't bring back the fondest memories of my TNT-Pyrostatic Pillar deck.

• @joshuabrooks

fetch lands, wasteland, bazaar - each opponent is playing at least one of those types of lands.

sensei's top - trashed

time vault key - nope, it's no longer an autowin.

• Is this bettor or worse than Pithing needle? Better b/c of misstep but worse b/c of plow everywhere? This does do work against Ravager Shops, heck even trying to ballista this to death costs 4 life.

• I dig this guy. I dont have anything constructive to add, but I also like the rest of the folk hanging out in the art.

• TMD Supporter

I think this is the first true card from this set that will see Vintage play.

• I dont know how much impact this will have in vintage, but this is a legacy game changer for sure. Lands, DnT and Miracles get punished in a very real way.

• This is the exact kind of card that I would hope Wizards prints more of:
    --A non-Blue, non-artifact card that has Eternal format impact
    --A disruptive creature that isn't White or Colorless.

I particularly like that it hurts durdling cards like Divining Top and planeswalkers.

The fact that it is only for opponents is particularly impressive. I don't even mind that it hurts Saheeli Oath.

Now just make a Green flash creature pitch spell that counters blue/artifact spells!

• @rikter
    How does Legacy Lands get hit? It doesn't hit dredging and 2 damage to activate Thespian's Stage for a Marit Lage is mostly fine.

• TMD Supporter

I like it as a sideboard card against shops decks, time vault key, and a few other fringe decks I'm sure.

• @gkraigher said in [AKH] Harsh Mentor:

@joshuabrooks

fetch lands, wasteland, bazaar - each opponent is playing at least one of those types of lands.

sensei's top - trashed

time vault key - nope, it's no longer an autowin.

The flavor text is exceedingly apropos.

"Fight through it."

Shocking your Dredge opponent a couple of times is unlikely to change the fact that you die on turn 3.

The immediate thought with this guy is certainly hatebears. I could see him in a more aggressive deck. Played early enough, he could deal enough damage to allow your Elementals or Monks to win a turn earlier.

Quick note on Vault+Key - there's two activations required to take each extra turn. Facing down this duder, from >=17, a player only has 4 Time Vault turns to find an answer and that answer can't require something that will trigger duder again.

@p3temangus said in [AKH] Harsh Mentor:

Is this bettor or worse than Pithing needle? Better b/c of misstep but worse b/c of plow everywhere? This does do work against Ravager Shops, heck even trying to ballista this to death costs 4 life.

Neither. It's just different. It doesn't shut anything off. But it does put a tax on everything. If a well-placed Needle is your out, this guy won't help you.

• TMD Supporter

Mono-Red could become a thing? Berserkers, Magus of the Moon, shops hate, this guy. While maybe not tier 1, could certainly crush some dreams on the hatedeck circuit.

• @joshuabrooks said in [AKH] Harsh Mentor:

Mono-Red could become a thing? Berserkers, Magus of the Moon, shops hate, this guy. While maybe not tier 1, could certainly crush some dreams on the hatedeck circuit.

8 Moon in Vintage.

His will be done.

• @jhport12 said in [AKH] Harsh Mentor:

I particularly like that it hurts durdling cards like Divining Top and planeswalkers.

It doesn't affect PWs.

• @jhport12

in legacy lands it hits:

wasteland
    rishadan port
    horizon canopy
    thespian's stage
    karakas

• Turn 1 this guy + Turn 2 Scab-Clan Berserker is GG versus like 97.6925% of Vintage decks. I am in love.

• This card is pretty obviously playable. First obvious one in the set to date for Vintage, even more so for Legacy.

However... how much does it actually do in the current metagame? Against shops, it burns them as they Ballista it dead. Against dredge, it burns them as they Zombie you dead. Against Mentor it does... not really all that much, really.

I'm not saying its bad or even that it's not playable, I just don't see what it brings to the table in the current metagame.

• @thecravenone I agree, but in my head if I am slotting this into an existing deck, my Pithing Needle or 2nd/3rd rod effect is what I am looking at dropping. If this is the missing link in a deck that does not exist/is not playable at this moment, then color me interested.

• @jhport12 Its the cards like port and maze that they use to stall you out. As explosive as the deck can be I have played many a game where they just dicked around behind port and maze.

• This makes all fetches bolt your opponent. With most non mud/dredge decks running 7+ fetches, git probe, Derpstep, fow, and other life takers, I cant see how this isnt shy of amazing. You cast this guy turn one and they git probe you and fetch thats already a quarter of thier life gone. Follow up with Kabal or Scab-Clan, and you got them halfway done turn 2. And all this being uncounterable off a single cavern.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.