[AKH] Harsh Mentor

• @Griselbrother While the card doesn't directly punish planeswalker activations (wish it did), it still cramps them somewhat in so much as you can redirect the damage from Harsh Mentor, if say the opponent fetches with a Walker in play. I suspect that will catch a few people out at first.

• @titus I think this is the best point so far. I like very much the design in that regard: It doesn't trigger for PW's abilities but in exchange it kills them.

Other than that, I hate that they imprinted such ability on another bear (how about Enchantments) and freaking human. How about Goblins or other tribes that make you dream as a kid. Humans are so lame & unmagical

• I can't wait to ask players to be more specific when they are talking about Mentor.

• This post is deleted!

• I want to combine this with one of my favorite old school cards: Ankh of Mishra. Nice fetch land you got there, take 6 damage to play a mana producing land!

• I think this might be the most hateful hatebear (flavor-wise, at the very least).

"Fight through it." hotdamn.

• Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm not sure if another 2/2 with a Pillar effect was what Mono Red (RW or RG) is lacking. You can draw out some scenarios where this card is pretty powerful, like your opponent have a hand full of fetch lands, or they are trying to win with vault/key, ect. However, in games where it could be super impactful your opponent can in fact just use their removal on it. There will probably be just as many games where it does almost nothing. It notably doesn't work on planeswalkers, which is a pretty big hole. It also doesn't work on mana abilities. So if your Blue opponent doesn't have a fetch land that game, it might not do anything.

The RX aggro decks still lack the overall brokenness, and explosiveness that every other Vintage deck has. Sure, you can go 1st turn Blood Moon followed by turn 2 Null rod (winning the die roll, dodging force and not being killed on turn 1), but even in that scenario you still have to close the game out and your opponent has the out of any Shatter, or Basic land. This card really does nothing to change that. Your opponent will just take their couple of Shocks while they do something way more degenerate than you are doing, and the game is over.

• @evouga said in [AKH] Harsh Mentor:

Comparisons to Pithing Needle, Revoker, or Null Rod are red herrings. The two occupy completely different tactical roles.

Agree. You are probably playing him with Null Rod. His ability doesn't impact Moxen and his nemesis is certainly Walking Ballista. I get that if you have a Rod out he's not generating damage, but if you stick a Rod vs. Ravager based shops you are probably ahead anyway.

• @nedleeds If it sees play at all, it's gonna be similar to how Scab-Clan Berserker did. It comes in against a deck that has to (correctly) answer it or play through it, and the damage that stacks up as a result ends up being outcome determinative.

I think we're all saying the same thing, really, which is: against what decks does the extra damage actually make a big difference in the current metagame? Berserker hits Gush decks where it hurts (kick'em in the cantrips). Other than a handful of fetches, what activated abilities of non-walkers do most decks right now need to use in order to win? If hurting fetches was enough, then Arbiter would see more play. It DOES see play, just not a ton.

Still, you could easily imagine metagames where the damage DID matter. Like, say, if Time Vault makes a comeback and now you're burning them 4 points a turn as they dig for an answer. This card is one you get copies of and then sit on until the time is right. At least this much is true: it's probably never going to be any more useless than Suppression Field!

• It's a true fisting for Bomberman, until Pyrite takes it out.

• TMD Supporter

Was super excited to see mono red top 8 the P9 challenge (not sure why, haven't played mono red since the days of jackal pups and fireblast), but has anyone seen a list yet? Can't wait to see it.

• TMD Supporter

@joshuabrooks List is here:
    https://twitter.com/johngofett/status/858501531162730496
    Looks like Harsh Mentor didn't make the list.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.