[AKH] Grasping Dunes

• @gkraigher They probably don't want Deserts as combat tricks for limited. There's that green uncommon that fetches a Desert when it cycles, for example.

• Administrators

Personally, I'm excited to try this out as an anti-workshop card in blue decks. This might have more utility than sideboard Wasteland. (though it's a lot worse against Dredge)

I'm less sold on its use in Thorn of Amethyst decks, as they already had problems fitting in the right nonbasics well before this was printed (if I don't have room for more than 3 Factories, it's going to be hard to justify this). I have to admit, though, the applications specifically in the Shops vs White Eldrazi matchup could be pretty interesting in the right meta.

• I love this card with crucible of worlds but I still find it narrow. Really needed to be instant speed, and even better not have a mana in its activation cost.

• @gkraigher Agreed, and on top of that, certain meta tendencies. For example, if Mentor should become restricted and disappear in favor of Grixis builds that, in consensus, sport Young Pyromancer as the next best thing.

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco said in [AKH] Grasping Dunes:

@Islandswamp I'd say there should be room for at least 2. Killing Kataki is great!

I just finished writing about this card. It should be up tomorrow evening late, or Friday morning early.

• This card is not very good. Sure, it puts a -1-1 counter on a card, but what do you really want to hit?

Young Peezy? Sure, I'll give you that.

Mentor? LOL
    Ravager? Sure, if there's literally 0 other creatures.
    Hangarback walker? Okay, and that's probably fine IF they play it at 1.
    Walking Balista? Sure, if they play it at 1.
    Anything else in the format? meh.

Kataki isn't a real card.

• TMD Supporter

@MSolymossy said in [AKH] Grasping Dunes:

Kataki isn't a real card.

It's very real in the eldrazi vs. shops matchup. That being said, in hindsight this card is terrible against Kataki.

• Administrators

I think the most important things that this card kills are Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Phyrexian Revoker (which can't name lands to turn it off).

There is a very high bar to meet for lands to justify their inclusion in a Workshop or Eldrazi deck, so I'm not sure it's enough, even though Revoker is a very important card in a lot of those matchups.

There is a much lower bar for lands in non-Workshop blue decks, however. Hypothetically I could imagine a deck that really wanted a sphere-proof, uncounterable answer to Thalias and Revokers, as well as the occasional Aegis of the Gods. Decks that have issues with Thalia often have extra lands in their sideboard already.

Do I think that a Sorcery-speed -1/-1 effect is good general-purpose utility in vintage? No. But I also kind of don't believe in general-purpose cards at all. If you run cards that push the game in a direction where X/1s AND making extra land drops matter (e.g. you'll definitely win unless your opponent sticks a hate bear) then this is a good card. If you don't, this is not a good card.

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man said in [AKH] Grasping Dunes:

I think the most important things that this card kills are Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Phyrexian Revoker (which can't name lands to turn it off).

There is a very high bar to meet for lands to justify their inclusion in a Workshop or Eldrazi deck, so I'm not sure it's enough, even though Revoker is a very important card in a lot of those matchups.

There is a much lower bar for lands in non-Workshop blue decks, however. Hypothetically I could imagine a deck that really wanted a sphere-proof, uncounterable answer to Thalias and Revokers, as well as the occasional Aegis of the Gods. Decks that have issues with Thalia often have extra lands in their sideboard already.

Do I think that a Sorcery-speed -1/-1 effect is good general-purpose utility in vintage? No. But I also kind of don't believe in general-purpose cards at all. If you run cards that push the game in a direction where X/1s AND making extra land drops matter (e.g. you'll definitely win unless your opponent sticks a hate bear) then this is a good card. If you don't, this is not a good card.

There are two places where I envision this card possibly having a home. Please note that I'm not certain this card is worth playing even in those decks, but I feel that theory crafting, discussion, and testing are worthwhile endeavors.

Anyway, I feel like this could be a one-of, maybe two-of, in a Null Rod Workshop Prison deck. Those decks are already very grindy, and they play Null Rod so they don't have Walking Ballista. They also play Crucible of Worlds which increases the killing power of Grasping Dunes a little bit. These decks don't mind a colorless land either, and it could probably slot in the place of a different utility land or something.

The only other idea I had was for Tribal Eldrazi. That deck also can't use Ballista, runs Ghost Quarters (one of which could easily become Dunes) and Crucibles. The deck also has to hurt itself dramatically with Dismembers and Tombs so perhaps a one of Grasping Dunes to take out Pyromancers might be good.

• I've been looking at the shops vs White Eldrazi matchup a lot more because of this forum. I don't think grasping dunes is the answer for MUD, I think spatial contortion is.

Contortion is good in the current meta and combines with walking ballista to kill thought-knot as well. The life you lose from dismember matters in this matchup.

Also skysovereign, consul flagship.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.