[ANK] Cascading Cataracts

• @fsecco

1 of its abilities nets you -1 mana.

Another 1 of its abilities is on par with 95% of other land in the format.

• @gkraigher that's an easily testable statement because most decks run 10-20 lands so we can see if this is better than even 1 out of 20 lands in current strategies.

Gush of all varieties: no
    Shops of all varieties: no
    White bears of all varieties: no
    Old school combo control: no
    BUG control: no
    Paradox combo: no
    Dredge: n/a

Does it enable something new or exciting? Maybe... but you pay for it dearly. More than 19 of 20 lands in the format either tap for colored mana, tap for multiple mana, or have an ability worth at least half a mana.

• TMD Supporter

@ribby said in [ANK] Cascading Cataracts:

@fsecco nails it. Contrast Ancient Tomb, one of the absolute best lands in the entire format, to this.... yeah.

Ancient Tomb gets Wastelanded though...

• @desolutionist No one ever played Darksteel Citadel in Shops. We're really not playing this now.

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco

Darksteel Citadel used to be played in Control Slaver. The biggest knock on it is that it only generates colorless mana and is shut down by Null Rod. This new card is an indestructible, colorful mana source. It's ability to generate 5 of any color mana shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum. This land is kind of unprecedented because if you have 4 in your hand, you can pretty much guarantee you'll get 4 mana in that game. You cannot say that about any other mana source, other than maybe Sylvan Caryatid, since everyone in Vintage is after your mana.

• @ribby

I agree that this card wouldn't be played in any archetype right now. But that doesn't mean it isn't a vintage quality card.

This card could open up a deck with all the draw 7s, 4 grim monolith, multiple voltaic key, etc.

It also helps colorless decks splash 1 color a lot easier.

Is this totally unplayable in Eldrazi? It seems like it survives, adds colorless mana, and can be used to cast world breaker. There are a lot of good Eldrazi that require colored mana.

• Currently the deck with draw 7 and monolith is Storm, which would definitely like to occasionally convert all that colorless mana into a handful of black and extra blue. But. PO storm is going off turn one or two and usually you've already played a land by the time you have the opportunity to get this powered out. Not sure what other shell would want it? 5c Stax type build?

• I'm a bit surprised to see this land getting so much traction. Why does Vintage, of all formats, need to pay such a steep price for color-fixing?

• @gkraigher said in [ANK] Cascading Cataracts:

@ribby

I agree that this card wouldn't be played in any archetype right now. But that doesn't mean it isn't a vintage quality card.

This card could open up a deck with all the draw 7s, 4 grim monolith, multiple voltaic key, etc.

It also helps colorless decks splash 1 color a lot easier.

Is this totally unplayable in Eldrazi? It seems like it survives, adds colorless mana, and can be used to cast world breaker. There are a lot of good Eldrazi that require colored mana.

Because it needs 5 mana and nets you -1 mana resource it is unplayable in vintage.

• TMD Supporter

If this just said "pay four and tap: make five mana of any combination of colors" I don't know that I'd play it. Just sayin'...

I do think it's neat, and I'm sure it'll be sweet in a rainbow EDH deck.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.