Emojis

• TMD Supporter

The old TMD actually had emojis. (And mana symbols) Is this something that can be easily added in?

• Are emojis something that is actually wanted? I'm not a fan of them in general though mana symbols might be cute.

• TMD Supporter

πŸ€”

Definitely. Each one is worth 1000 words. Imagine Smmenen's posts reduced to a sequence of emojis.

πŸ•ΊπŸ»

Mankind is evolving. We're all invested in social media and everything. The times of hand writing in cursive are over. We use LOL πŸ˜‚ and emojis now.

• πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ‘ŒEMOJIS ARE πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―

• @thecravenone How do you type emojiis? I don't see it in the editor or Markdown guide

• @desolutionist said in Emojis:

The old TMD actually had emojis. (And mana symbols) Is this something that can be easily added in?

@boxian said in Emojis:

@thecravenone How do you type emojiis? I don't see it in the editor or Markdown guide

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux emoji, is in fact, GNU/Linux emoticons... (For those who didn't get the reference and have time to waste)

Don't feel bad about the confusion. The first words on the Wiki article for Emoji is "Not to be confused with emoticons"

Emoji are a part of the Unicode standard. Most modern software can store unicode without issue, so as long as your computer can produce it, you can post it. As long as your computer understands the emoji, you'll see it.

You're probably most familiar with using it on your cell phone. On your desktop, you can type emoji using cmd+ctrl+space on MacOS or by adding a keyboard on Windows 7+

From a quick Google, it appears that the developers of NodeBB (the software being used for this forum) have opted not to include emoticon support specifically because of the prevalence of emoji. That saves them a lot of coding for emoticons that already have an emoji equivalent but does leave out the possibility of custom emoticons.

I wasn't able to quickly find an emoticon plugin for NodeBB and I suspect that one does not exist. Emoji should be enough for everybody - or at least, it covers a large portion of the use-case for emoticons in a forum.

I personally don't think they need to be added. If they are added, I hope it's either via an easy method or after some of the other feature requests have been implemented.

While having custom emoticons is neat and having mana symbols is useful, I think they're not very necessary. Everyone knows what you mean when you say Force costs 3UU - I don't need the blue mana symbol.

• Administrators

There are no built-in emoji on TMD right, now, though as you can see, unicode emoji work just fine.

Custom TMD-specific emoji have been on my own personal desired-feature-backlog list, so if there's enough interest I'll move it to the top of the queue.

I'm not interested in spamming the site with Slack/Twitch emoji everywhere, but I think a few carefully chosen options (mana symbols among them) could spruce things up a bit

• @thecravenone thanks for the explanation, good stuff to know.

Where is the list of unicode emojis?

• TMD Supporter

@boxian http://emojipedia.org/ is pretty πŸ’― πŸ‘Œ

• @nucleosynth πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

now just to memorize the unicode alt + whatever for the 6 or so emojis i like

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.