Replacing Probe Post Restrictions

• It might finally be time for Venarian Glimmer to shine.

• @The-Gremlin-Lord said in Replacing Probe Post Restrictions:

It might finally be time for Venarian Glimmer to shine.

That name always sounds like a STD.

• @Brass-Man Here is the storm list i ran in the daily on Monday (went 3-1, lost to landstill). I felt the vault and probe both played key roles in a couple of my wins in that daily, but in the long run maybe better off with 4 probes. Will do some testing both ways.
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    2 Swamp
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Tolarian Academy
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Duress
    2 Thoughtsieze
    2 Preordain
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Ponder
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Time Walk
    1 Timetwister
    1 Chain of Vapor
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Tendrills of Agony
    1 Mind's Desire
    4 Dark Petition
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Necropotence
    1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    SB:
    2 Island
    4 Defense Grid
    3 Ravenous Trap
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Massacre
    2 Mindbreak Trap

• TMD Supporter

@mourningpalace I like this list a lot, and at the risk of getting too far off-topic, are there other tweaks that you are considering or are you pretty happy with the list overall?

• @revengeanceful I really liked the list, but have only been playing it for a couple weeks now. I was toying around with adding in a badlands/volcanic for a wheel of fortune. But with all the MM's, FoW's, and traps, I'm not sure how good symmetric draw 7s are any more.

• So based off of the metagame breakdown from the Waterbury, my PO deck falls into the PO Tezz category. I like playing a little more tech and utility with Key/Vault and Tinker as backup plans. It doesn't storm as hard, but I like having more options and fewer Chrome Mox...

Spells
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Ponder
    1 3 Preordain
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Time Walk
    1 Timetwister
    1 Tinker
    1 Windfall
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    4 Paradoxical Outcome
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Force of Will
    1 Mind's Desire
    1 Tezzeret the Seeker
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 TBA

Artifacts
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Grim Monolith
    1 Voltaic Key
    1 Time Vault

Lands
    1 Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Tolarian Academy

Sideboard
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Island
    2 TBA

So I've left some spaces in the board and maindeck for suggestions! I have been toying with the idea of running one more island in the main, and or one more chain of vapor. I really like how @mourningpalace include Library, which I imagine is very nice with the draw sevens, but I'm not sure if it's what this deck wants to do.

Other thoughts have been throwing in a Tundra for a Fragmentize as I essentially fear spheres and null rods more than anything. I've also thought about adding Thoughtseize/Duress but would like to hear thoughts on what could fill those slots!

Also there are some marginal pieces like Mana Vault and Grim Monolith that this deck runs, but it is nice to have something else to do with Key as other people have noted.

• This restriction made me sad, I don't know that there is a true replacement for probe. Pay 2 life to know whether it's safe to go off and draw a card? I play PO storm, so I guess I'll add time vault, key, and tezzeret the seeker? I mean an alternate win condition is cool and all but I really liked the certainty the card provided.

• @SquirtMcGirt I like key/vault in this deck because it reminds me a lot of SCV which I loved back when. Also because it's nice that you can assemble it quickly. Though probe did often let me safely tinker for jar into fatal tendrils instead of conservatively into key vault.

• @SquirtMcGirt said in Replacing Probe Post Restrictions:

This restriction made me sad, I don't know that there is a true replacement for probe. Pay 2 life to know whether it's safe to go off and draw a card? I play PO storm, so I guess I'll add time vault, key, and tezzeret the seeker? I mean an alternate win condition is cool and all but I really liked the certainty the card provided.

Skill is the true replacement for probe. Its what people used to navigate blue decks before probe was printed and what we'll use to navigate playing against blue decks now that its restricted.

• Well I'm newer to vintage and have mainly been a legacy player. I am no stranger to the dangers facing storm combo but your right Probe was making me a bit lazy.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.