How good is Monastery Mentor as of this afternoon?

• If you look at what happened with standard yesterday, player feedback seems to most certainly be a driving factor in bans/restrictions. I don't play standard, so I could care less, but it's a pretty good example of future direction.

• The DCI's job is to make formats that people want to play. Its literally their only actual job. Their job is not to make fair and impartial decisions based on what decks are objectively better. I feel like some people forget that. Data from polls and complaints is just as valid as top 8 data if not more.

This restriction WAS data based. We had multiple polls going saying that people wanted something restricted from Mentor Gush. They decided that Gush and Probe were the correct cards to hit and not Mentor itself. They are trying to cure the disease, not the symptom.

• @vaughnbros People do forget that. You are right. However, people also forget that feeling as though the decisions are being made in a way that is rational and fair contributes exactly to people wanting to play the format... feeling that decisions are not made in this way makes people want to play the format less. I can prove that to you right now. Decisions being made in this way makes me want to play the format less.

In the last year I have played about 700 games of vintage magic. None of them on MTGO. (Because investing money with these guys directly seems crazy. They change policy based on reactions from twitter for cripe-sake. And they just promised me that they would continue MTGO for the foreseeable future. Not encouraging.)

I wonder how they are calculating me into their business model, or not at all. I suspect the second. Maybe they are actually uber-genius bean counters who calculate that the best way to extract value from me is just by utilizing the down stream economic value I add to the overall trade of magic cards, when I buy random singles or trade. But I doubt it. Seriously? They have that kind of actuarial skill but walked right into the Felidar Guardian mess... no way.

In fact the point, if one accepts this borg-like mindset that wizards is only there to maximize the profit margin of wizards, is that very mindset is counterproductive to its own stated goal. What kind of customer wants to be a part of something like that? What kind of slogan would that be? Play Magic! The best game in the world at extracting monetary value from its players!

The point is that the DCI has to be about more than just that. Even if there goal is only to maximize player desire, by stating it overtly and twisting in the direction of the prevailing winds... they almost surely lose players. The DCI should hold itself to something more, if for no other reason that it would be economically more effective, but also because it would just be better.

In fact, I think we all know that a pretty haphazard job gets done, and the profit margin argument gets used as a dodge more than anything else.

• @rbartlet very good point re our skewed meta! We have an over representation of landstill players in particular too. Let's see how it goes and hope you can make EW next year! :)

• TMD Supporter

Top 8ed with Jeskai Mentor in the MTGO p9 event, and my only loss in the swiss was the mirror match to @Brass-Man

My decklist: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-ngwYYUwAEx4WB.jpg

• @Smmenen nice! Looks to me like your +1 Scroll +1 Mystical are perfectly serviceable replacements for the -2 Gush. After the tournament is there anything else you would suggest changing in the list?

Entirely sidenote: I assume the 2 REB effects maindeck as opposed to just 1 was a meta choice (I'm trying to make sure I can consistently have game against a meta of Shops and Eldrazi pre-sideboard so I probably have to stick with 1 or 0)

• TMD Supporter

I got 2nd with DPS that splashed white for 4 Mentors.

• @desolutionist I just got done watching your win against Brassy. Cool deck. Very impressive.

• @wappla Ya, but common knowledge was that Gush Mentor was the best deck pre-restriction. Not enough people are gonna grow a pair and play something else to try and generate data. Now we have no choice but to be Guinea pigs.

• @desolutionist List looks sweet and would love to hear more about it!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.