Leovold Bug

• Is it just me or is Leovold Bug really well positioned right now? With cheap creatures and lots of mana should be good against workshops and between leovold and the counters and draw spells should have game against other blue decks. Maybe I am missing something because I haven't seen it on MTGO much this week since the new restrictions.

• @mtgGreg

It's actually not fantastic right now and has gotten worse. Gush was its primary prey (as well as its own great means of getting to UBG with two duals) and the Shops match-up is abysmal, abysmal, abysmal. When I played a Leovold deck in the P9, testing showed it was essential to play Red, 3 Ancient Grudges, and a total of 9 specific hate cards for Shops just to be 50/50.

• Thanks for the feedback. I probably like leovold so much I'm just trying to find any rational to play him.

• @brianpk80 How bad can the oath match be if you play 4 abrupt decay mainboard?

With gush restricted, decay is a better answer to mentor, as it's going to be difficult for the mentor to generate more than 1 token before it dies.

• Just thought as grist for the mill that I'd pop up the list that made top 8 from Euro Champs by Javier Pozo. I really enjoy seeing decks that arent' MUD or Mentor. I never thought I'd LONG for the days of Noble Fish...

Not sure how one would adjust to fit the Non-Gushpocalypse

Either way. I miss Bob.

LANDS
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

CREATURES
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Vendilion Clique

INSTANTS and SORC.
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Demonic Tutor
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Mana Leak
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Ponder
    2 Snuff Out
    1 Time Walk

OTHER SPELLS
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    2 Null Rod

SIDEBOARD
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Dismember
    1 Dread of Night
    2 Energy Flux
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Nature's Claim
    1 Null Rod
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Virulent Plague
    1 Wasteland
    1 Yixlid Jailer

• @BandsWithOthers said in Leovold Bug:

I never thought I'd LONG for the days of Noble Fish...

Me neither. :(

• @hankzhong said in Leovold Bug:

@brianpk80 How bad can the oath match be if you play 4 abrupt decay mainboard?

With gush restricted, decay is a better answer to mentor, as it's going to be difficult for the mentor to generate more than 1 token before it dies.

Just remember, misD is starting to creep back into the format which greatly weakens abrupt decay. Now I'm saying that based only on one tournament, but multiple decks at the last DMIG ran 1-2 copies of Misdirection.

Just cast your Sun Titans the way Maro intended.

• @brianpk80

The shop matchup hasn't been that abysmal for me but then I also play 3 managorger hydras in my deck.
    Fatal push is an allstar against them as well as Null Rod. 3 Claims another Decay snuff out and murderous cut seemed to be fine for me.

Going forward I'm not sure how it might play out but when your main draw is painful truths and your just trying to play mana denial I'm not sure you can hang with Mishra.

After the gush restriction (as I've been playing gush BuG see EE6 results) I've been working on this...

1 Forest
    1 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Null Rod

2 Nissa , Steward Of the Elements

3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    3 Leovold Emissary Of Trest
    3 Managorger Hydra

2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Dig Through Time
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Gush
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise

Obviously I'll need adjustments but they will be very dependent on how the mentor and shop decks shake out.

• I've tested BUG Leo a bunch. Some with and without Bob. The deck is almost unwinnable vs Shops
    Sure you can have games where you have every answer, but they are highly favored and I wouldn't play the deck in a heavy shops meta.
    You really need to splash R for Grudge

• I play Leovold BUG in various forms. Im currently a fan of Bob + Grim Flayer. Flayer has great synergy with Bob and Dr. shaman, and is good in general as a 4/4 trampler. I also run Sylvan Library and Revoker to envoke delirium. I run 3 decay and 1 grudge maindeck. Any SB that has red I always inclue 4 Ingot Chewer and a Mountain. I find my mud MU favorable.

• Played this to 4-1 Top seed at Top Deck Games today
    Then lost to dredge :)

1 Forest
    1 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    2 Null Rod

3 Nissa , Steward Of the Elements

3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Leovold Emissary Of Trest
    3 Managorger Hydra
    1 Snapcaster Mage

3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Dig Through Time
    4 Force of Will
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Gush
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise

1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Damnation
    1 Energy Flux
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Snuff Out
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Virulent Plague
    2 Yixlid Jailer
    3 Nature's Claim

Have to fix up my board a little bit.

2-0 vs U/w landstill
    0-2 vs merfolk (Lotus TNN Land Acall both games)
    2-1 against Car Shops
    2-0 PO Storm
    2-1 Vs Jeskai Mentor

Then lost to dredge on some slight mana flooding.

A Nissa on 1 then scrying was strong every time I saw her she flipped a couple Leo's and Hydra's and was responsible for about 35 dmg over the course of the day. She caught quite a few FoW as well

I don't think Leovold has a bad Oath match-up at all. I've only seen that match play out a handful of times but it felt favorable to Leovold. Drawing a card for every Forbidden Orchard activation and Oath trigger was very swingy.

• @Fisken

Congrats on the finish! I wouldn't read too much into the Dredge loss since that's something that can be improved with a more robust amount of Dredge hate. I love the new Nissa; glad to see she's been working out.

Also, is that you, Jeremy? If so, pardon me for not recognizing you earlier from just the screen name.

• I'm in very early testing of BUG. I need a change of pace and Managorger Hydra is one of my favorite cards. I'm building slowly in earnest, since I only paper play once a month I'm rather patient with building this one.

Also I'm glad Jeremy is chiming in on this. We spoke at the TDG vintage this past weekend, as I gleaned some knowledge from him.

• @Fisken I'm really curious about Nissa. How often did you cast her for more than X = 1? What about X > 2? She can't really protect herself, which is the common complaint of all planeswalkers. I still feel like the flexibility is really powerful and Scrye 2 is highly underrated. I tried to make Kiora work before as a non-Jace BUG planeswalker, but new Nissa seems way better.

• @enderfall
    Most of the times were definitely X=1 then scry to set up dbl land drops for acceleration or to get an uncounterable Leo or Hydra.

Twice I cast her on X= 4 then scry to set up a lethal attack.
    She was forced 3 times Pyroblasted on the stack once and Pyroblasted after resolution on their turn on the draw once.

To me she's the 2nd best thing to get into play after Leovold. I play the hydras because if you stick one if they can't answer him they have to dig which just makes him bigger (this theory always applies to him IMHO) so his time can be at any point in the game.
    Whereas Leovold and now Nissa are going to generate some kind of advantage. Whether it virtual (not letting the opponent cast their draw cards,wasteland you effectively or target your permanents or the filtering from Nissa) or real extra land drops off Nissa free uncounterable flips or a "cycling" if you can't protect Leo.

So far I've had great success with my personalized version of this deck. It's long been a theory of mine that it's very rare anyone can pick up someone else's tuned deck and find the same success but if you try to keep the core the same and work on the cards that suit you that the same success can be found.

Right now we're working on a version without managorger and preordain. A few of my teammates prefer a less aggressive deck/play style so they want to add mana drain and a more controlling aspect to be able to cast Nissa bigger and just lean on her to win games. She very much is the planeswalker I've been waiting for for quite a long time.

It also helps I'm notorious for putting new standard/type 2 cards that are deemed "unplayable" in my vintage decks 😈

• @Serracollector I juste LOVE grim flayer as a card. Could you please share your current list ? Thanks !

• Played my first games with BUG today into shops. Still heavily proxied but went 2-3 in all games. Playing with Trygon Predator main was a goal of mine. Still a ton to learn.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.