Favorite Abnormal Victories

• Hey everyone. Just won a game against dredge on MTGO where I played a Merchant Scroll to get an Ancestral Recall to let them draw three while they were at 2 cards in library and set to win the next turn. That got me thinking what are some of the coolest abnormal ways people have won a game? I always love to hear an incredible win story and people love to brag so lets here them!

• @mtgGreg Certainly it's casting Dig on the end of their turn to Drain it, then untapping and hardcasting Emrakul. That tasted pretty sweet. (I've never actually decked someone with Ancestral. That is great, and the fact that it was dredge is even better.)

• At eternal weekend last year my opponent had a sphinx of steel wind. I tinkered myr battlesphere, tapped tolarian for a massive amount of mana, chain of vapor the battlesphere, twice and cast it again twice in a single turn. next turn I attacked and tapped 12 myr to kill him before lifelink damage. This was all from my paradoxical outcome deck which battlesphere is the only creature

• Playing UB Faeries against @brianpk80, I baited him into casting his Auriok Salvagers, Forced his Black Lotus so he couldn't kill me that turn, untapped and cast Sower of Temptation to steal his Salvagers. I then played the Lotus I had been sandbagging for several turns, made infinite mana, drew the majority of my deck with EE + Top, cast my remaining creatures, and killed him. Good times...

• Not vintage but once Wheel of Fortuned in a 4 man EDH pod with consecrated sphinx and Lab Maniac in play and decked myself for the Win :).

In vintage like 12-15 years ago I Old Man of the Sea's my opponents goblin welder and beat them to death with it over like 8 or 9 turns...this was back when mana burn was a thing and my opponent had taken a decent hit from un-spent mana drain mana.

• I have killed by swinging with Laboratory Maniac in Doomsday twice. Once after a just-shy-of-lethal Tendrils, and another after an opponent apparently forgot that Probes and Missteps can be cast for mana and burned the majority of his life away with fetches and phyrexian mana.

• TMD Supporter

I'm more of a Johnny than a Spike at heart, so I always love these threads:

1.) Was playing shops against a top dredge player. They were rocking the Arabian Nights City of Brass over Mana Confluence (which I can't fault, since Arabian Cities of Brass are about 10000x coooler). I had him low on life, but couldn't put it away. Was able to get a tangle wire out and metamorph it. He died to his Cities getting tapped. I think he changed to Mana Confluence shortly after.

2.) Was playing shops against Mentor. He put down an unprotected Mentor. I was able to Metamorph it, Ballista the original Mentor, and then drop a few artifacts into play. Got to taste the enjoyment of swinging with Mentor tokens. Not sure it was the "optimal play", but damned if i wasn't going to do it anyway.

My closest call:
    Was playing Shops against Oath. Oath player was down to the last three cards in his deck and a depleted hand before he got Griselbrand into play. I had a Jester's Cap in hand, ready to deck him, but came up one mana short of activating it. He won the game next turn. :(

Personal gripe: Why they made Mana Confluence strictly better than City of Brass I'll never forgive.

• Administrators

The year is 2003 and I'm piloting Dragon Combo, a graveyard-based combo deck based on the glitchy things that happen when you cast Animate Dead on a Worldgorger Dragon. Dragon Combo grinds through 4-color control decks, like the one my opponent is on, using Bazaar of Baghdad and Squee, Goblin Nabob as a powerful, uncounterable card-advantage engine. My opening hand has multiple Bazaars and multiple Squees, which leaves me confident in my ability to win a long game.

On the end of my third turn, turn my opponent casts a Vampiric tutor, untaps, and drops a completely unexpected Blood Moon. I have no basics, and Blood Moon completely cuts off my draw engine. We fight over it emptying our hands, and he wins. My beautiful board is now 4 Nonbasic Mountains and a Mana Crypt.

I sigh, untap, and draw
    Worldgorger Dragon
    The combo plan behind me, I tap out to play the Dragon, which exiles all of my mana and gives me a 7/7.

Two turns later, I've drawn blanks, but my opponent is at 1 life. I pass, and he has one turn to find an answer.

He draws his card and casts a Cunning Wish. Wish resolves, and he goes to his sideboard to pull out:

Hero's Reunion

I look confused for a moment, until he smiles and announces:

Isochron Scepter

With Hero's Reunion on a stick, he goes up to 8 life each turn, leaving my Dragon (still the only permanent on my side of the board) one power short of killing him.

Unless, of course, the top card of my library is

Black Lotus

which I immediately use to cast

Squee, Goblin Nabob

which attacks for 1 and wins the game.

• I don't remember the board state specifically, but I once piloted a brew of Noble Fish to win a Mox Pearl that involved the nonbo of 4 Shardless Agent and 4 Daze in the maindeck. I knew I was running hot when I won a game by cascading into Daze off of a Shardless Agent, cast the Daze on my Shardless Agent, elected not to pay the mana, and used the +3/+3 on my Tarmogoyf by an added artifact, creature and instant to swing for the win.

• One of the greatest games I've ever seen...

It's 2011 or so, and Mike Egan, on U/W Landstill, is playing Visna Harris, on some form of Grixis Control. We're at a fairly developed board state, Visna has some number of Underground Sea and Volcanic Island in play, Egan has a Mishra's Factory and some number of Tundras/basics.

Egan taps and casts Standstill. Visna cheers. Literally cheers.

Egan, confused, asks if it resolves. It does. At this point in the game, all Egan has seen is typical blue stuff. Fetches, duals, Force of Will/Mana Drain, etc. Nothing is out of the ordinary. But this is Visna Harris.

Visna untaps, and plays Bazaar of Baghdad for his turn. Is he on Dragon? Nope. He taps the Bazaar, draws two, and pitches THREE BLOODGHASTS, then passes.

What the hell is going on here?

Egan untaps, activates the Factory, and swings for two, then passes.

Visna untaps, plays MISHRA'S FACTORY to recur his three Bloodghasts.

The game becomes an utter blowout. Egan pops his Standstill to try and handle the Bloodghast/Factory army from the Grixis Control deck, but it's too much, too quickly.

There are other good stories, but that one's great.

• Turn 3 of turns. I have one Mentor token in play. They have a host of White creatures.

Lotus Petal > Monk trigger

Massacre > Monk Trigger (he lives), kill all your dudes

Swing lethal

• Went long with U/W Landstill against a Mentor-Top-Tinker-Bot brew. The board was locked down and we were both pretty close to decking ourselves. We were at the point where we were fighting on the stack over NOT drawing cards from Standstill. At some point I had so few cards left in my library and enough cards left in hand that the only way for me to win was to ultimate Jace, targeting myself. It worked.

• Couple of recent amusements:

Round one of tourny playing leyline para belcher. Lose die roll, opponent plays. I start with leyline in play, probe to discover he's playing shops, kill him in his upkeep.

Oldschool tourney playing twiddle vault. Have done mirror universe exchange to put opponent on 2, but time is called. I spend 4 turns looking for fireball with no joy. 5th turn still no fireball. Am about to regrowth for twist or wheel after a wheel and notice I have 2 twiddles in hand. Normally you'd just keep chaining turns, but this was the last turn. Tap your city of brass with twiddle. Untap your city with twiddle. Regrowth twiddle (cue swearing.)

Again playing twiddle vault, playing against green aggro in game 2. He unexpectedly brought in a crypt and removed my fireball plus some less relevant stuff from the game. I get to chain turns and have sink backup, but need a plan b, as he has no cities to tap and the fireball is the only spell that deals damage. Mirror opponent down to 8, let him have a turn. Gain control of ghazban ogre, he goes for the near alpha strike (he wisely keeps a factory back so I can't just swing back repeatedly with ghaz. I cast fog. I untap vault as Garfield intended and let him have another turn, this upkeep he has to give my ghazban forest walk from the ernham - he sees the problem and goes full alpha with berzerks for lethal. Except I'm holding another fog. Proceed to take 4 more turns, beating him up with the ghazban ftw.

• If we are diving into insane wins we have seen, then one of my favorites was a player attempting to donate his illusions of grandeur with a platnum angel in play. Opponent proceeds to misdirect the donate to platnum angel and forced a scoop right there.

• @p3temangus Donate is not a legal target for Misdirection. Misdirection requires it's targeted spell to only have one target whereas Donate has two; the permanent and the player. I guess they both missed it.

• This thread is great!

• @Aaron-Patten wow! They missed it, i missed it and there had to be at least 3 others standing around...though the player casting donate did scoop rather quickly if memory serves.

• 2001, Im playing 4 color Keeper using Jesters Cap as my win con, using Fact or Fiction and Gaeas Blessing Recursion. My opponent is on MonoBlack LD. I cast Moat. I cap him. No flyers. No disks. I ask him to concede, he refuses. I say fine I am going to exile your entire deck. Commence game. I had 2 cards in hand, I ask him how many cards left in his deck, 7 he says. I braingeyser him for 7, cast balance, zuran orb away my lands, leaving him w no cards in hand, and no permanents, Tormods Crypt his grave, and pass the turn. Why you playing when you got no cards in the game bro?

• ^ Well, if you're going to mill your opponent, you better do it right.

• @Prospero said in Favorite Abnormal Victories:

One of the greatest games I've ever seen...

It's 2011 or so, and Mike Egan, on U/W Landstill, is playing Visna Harris, on some form of Grixis Control. We're at a fairly developed board state, Visna has some number of Underground Sea and Volcanic Island in play, Egan has a Mishra's Factory and some number of Tundras/basics.

Egan taps and casts Standstill. Visna cheers. Literally cheers.

Egan, confused, asks if it resolves. It does. At this point in the game, all Egan has seen is typical blue stuff. Fetches, duals, Force of Will/Mana Drain, etc. Nothing is out of the ordinary. But this is Visna Harris.

Visna untaps, and plays Bazaar of Baghdad for his turn. Is he on Dragon? Nope. He taps the Bazaar, draws two, and pitches THREE BLOODGHASTS, then passes.

What the hell is going on here?

Egan untaps, activates the Factory, and swings for two, then passes.

Visna untaps, plays MISHRA'S FACTORY to recur his three Bloodghasts.

The game becomes an utter blowout. Egan pops his Standstill to try and handle the Bloodghast/Factory army from the Grixis Control deck, but it's too much, too quickly.

There are other good stories, but that one's great.

LOL. Visna blew me out at EW by transforming into tribal Vampires in game 2. I kept Decay in for his Animates which sort of kept me alive but you know Nighthawks fly and such.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.