Magic the pulse

• Hey

I used to used the site MagicThePulse (or some similar name) to make a quick search for a player on mtgo and the decks he pervius has played. I cant find the site anymore. Anyone who can help? And/or maybe suggest and alternative.

ReneRandrup

• Administrators

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/[username] will give you recent results. It doesn't go back super far but it's an option!

• I kind of wish they'd keep player names anonymous during events (especially 2-man queues) for the scouting reason. I can't see what play or learning experience it offers, and it saves the pressure of everyone having to do this chore and/or going out of the way to avoid it with multiple accounts.

• @BazaarOfBaghdad said in Magic the pulse:

I kind of wish they'd keep player names anonymous during events (especially 2-man queues) for the scouting reason. I can't see what play or learning experience it offers, and it saves the pressure of everyone having to do this chore and/or going out of the way to avoid it with multiple accounts.

It allows me to "select" someone I'm trying to play against or avoid someone I don't want to play against. It's also necessary for reporting bad users.

Scouting isn't much harder in real life events. I've seen many matches won due to someone recognizing a name on the pairings sheet and letting their friend know what their opponent will be on.

edit: and besides that, many (most?) large scale events have decklists as public knowledge in the Top 8 and sometimes earlier.

• @thecravenone said in Magic the pulse:

@BazaarOfBaghdad said in Magic the pulse:

I kind of wish they'd keep player names anonymous during events (especially 2-man queues) for the scouting reason. I can't see what play or learning experience it offers, and it saves the pressure of everyone having to do this chore and/or going out of the way to avoid it with multiple accounts.

It allows me to "select" someone I'm trying to play against or avoid someone I don't want to play against. It's also necessary for reporting bad users.

Scouting isn't much harder in real life events. I've seen many matches won due to someone recognizing a name on the pairings sheet and letting their friend know what their opponent will be on.

I don't understand your points. Why should people have the power to "select" their opponents (assuming you mean 2-man queues)? Why would you think a name is essential to reporting? Is there something wrong with event numbers, game numbers, or user names like USER1234 (or whatever random moniker they could give you for the event)? How does the viability of real life scouting affect the question of whether or not they should turn it on or off on MTGO? Are you arguing that MTGO scouting would improve your cardboard play skills? If so, how?

• @BazaarOfBaghdad said in Magic the pulse:

@thecravenone said in Magic the pulse:

@BazaarOfBaghdad said in Magic the pulse:

I don't understand your points. Why should people have the power to "select" their opponents (assuming you mean 2-man queues)?

Kevin and I want to play a game against each other.

Jack is an asshole and I don't want to play against him.

John is playing Workshops tonight, which I already have adequate practice against.

Why would you think a name is essential to reporting? Is there something wrong with event numbers, game numbers, or user names like USER1234 (or whatever random moniker they could give you for the event)?

Because we're talking about MTGO. Given previous development history and the fact that we can't even agree whether this is a problem, it's almost certain they're not going to build a name obfuscation system in.

How does the viability of real life scouting affect the question of whether or not they should turn it on or off on MTGO?

MTGO is supposed to be a digital analog (heh) of the real thing. Why remove this aspect of real life?

Either way, my argument isn't so much that they shouldn't hide names but that given the difficulties and the fact that this problem can't be solved in real life, why should they.

Are you arguing that MTGO scouting would improve your cardboard play skills? If so, how?

No.

This has given me an idea for an app: Get a bunch of trusted people scouting together. Check your pairings then check the app to see if anyone has reported what that person is on.

• @thecravenone

I still don't understand your objections...

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to just challenge your friend then instead of using the queues?
    2. The asshole will soon be reported and therefore will soon cease to be an asshole (plus use the blocking feature helps).
    3. We're talking about should they implement this (at least you argued against it), and you resort to their hypothetical incompetence in execution as a reason why not. If it's a matter of incompetence, then won't they just not roll it out? I don't see how an incompetence argument affects the "should" question.
    4. There are lots of problems in cardboard Magic that MTGO fixes. Shuffling, rules enforcement, cheating - why should scouting not be among these? What depth of enjoyment do you get out of scouting a player beforehand that would be turned off if no one were able to do so? Why should we emphasize non-aspects of the game to the disadvantage of beginners, computer-illerates, and people who need their time for other aspects like parenting or food? Other than hoping to maximize an edge which is largely negated if your opponent is doing the same thing, why force the rest of us to stoop to such low methods (yes, I do it too, even though I'm against it)?

• Scouting is bad for the game as a whole but if my objective is to win and scouting is allowed, I do myself a disservice by not scouting.

Removing scouting will certainly create a better tournament but given the realities of how we play Magic, that is likely all but impossible.

• @thecravenone Please explain why you think scouting is bad for the game.

• @Topical_Island It's a chore with no direct game experience. It (probably unfairly) favors those with large networks and more free time. As a father and attorney, I'd rather use my downtime to catch up with the news, feed my kids, spend time with my kids, get work done, etc. Why waste it on scouting when in theory people could hide this information anyway with multiple accounts? Magic should be about the game, not about who can do fast searches at a third-party web site.

• @BazaarOfBaghdad If that's the case, with due deference to your being a good dad and the fact that doing that takes time, I'm all for scouting... since it would seem to favor people who practice and collaborate. I don't think that games which favor practice, research and collaboration are worse. I tend to think they are better... right?

• @Topical_Island You want to reward people for doing a time-consuming 4th-rate clerical skill? (If not clear, I'm limiting my comments to MTGO.)

• @BazaarOfBaghdad I don't want to reward anyone. I'm fine with competitive environments rewarding people who study. If their study is 4th rate... then I assume there are three levels of study that would be rewarded more. So I don't think the 4th rate studiers are really going to be the problem either way. If you mean that study itself is low on the hierarchy of skills by which winning is decided... then why even worry about it right? Anyway, I'm pretty sure all of the best players do this to some extent. (Largely because I observe very good players who stream actually do it.)

A person started a thread asking for information on how to scout magic players and decks. They asked on a website dedicated to sharing information about magic. I have no problem with that. Some people in the thread responded by criticizing scouting itself, which is fine too. But let me say that I'm fine with scouting, because it rewards people who do extra work and want to win. Every other competitive environment that I know of, already does that. I don't see why MTG should, or even could easily be different.

I think the short answer to your question is yes... yes I do.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.