Where is Oath right now?

• @nba84 pretty much. Enchantment hate is obviously important against this deck, and artifact hate is a waste of time. With that being the case, I didn't see a reason to not go for the colorless option.

• @the-duressed fair enough. Also, what do you see Saheeli Oath's advantages being over Salvagers Oath?

• @nba84 The plan of "I'll just win by casting my dude" is much stronger. Griselbrand is too hard to cast and Salvagers don't go anything without Lotus and something else. With Titan you won't combo out to win on the spot, but you've got a big body and you're likely to get significant additional value.

In general, I don't think you can play Oath without a viable plan B. Show and Tell isn't as good anymore because of the popularity of Containment Priest. So I want to go another direction, and I think Sun Titan is one of the better options. The Salvager/Griselbrand deck doesn't have a viable backup plan without playing more black tutors than most builds typically can without decimating their own mana bases. It can just Oath straight into Grafdigger's cage, but it needs removal against other forms of hate. That's not as strong of a plan because hate can appear in duplicate or triplicate and you therefore need just as much removal - a much tougher situation than just casting one good spell.

(Edited like 6 times for clarity)

• @chubbyrain I'd have to double check my blue count, but I wonder if Engineered Explosives is better in this capacity - gets tokens when brought in from the graveyard, but infinitely more playable from the hand. It's still not much of an answer to planeswalkers, but it's actually useful in the other scenarios.

Edit: Although now that I see how the BR update shook out, I'm leaning more toward a main deck Stony Silence. (Stony instead of Null Rod because people pack MD answers to artifacts)

• Just got back into MTGO Vintage with the advent of the new leagues. I've tried Punishing Oath 4 times and Saheeli Oath once.

Saheeli Oath still feels way too clunky in spite of recent restrictions--the threat package is just too many cards. Not particularly happy with Punishing Oath, either. I have only played one Shops deck and instead have faced a ton of Paradoxical Outcome decks.

What play style do most people adopt? Sometimes Oath feels like it should play as a control deck, but then my hand is always full of crap. When I go aggro, I just get hit with multiple hate cards. I have died with zero artifact kills in the face to 2 Grafdigger's Cages waayyy too many times this past week.

• I have been enjoying Punishing Oath list with mixed results recently in the Leagues 4-1 and 2-3 (couple of great games I lost VS BKelly and a WEldrazi opp yesterday).
    Anyways, Im quite satisfied with the deck and I dont think it is too far off but I was thinking last night that "maybe" the sideboard plan should focuss on being semi-transformational rather than relying on more hate cards.
    Im honestly thinking of possibly throwing in 2-3 Pyromancer and maybe a Mentor in my Sideboard. Then to rely on Dack + PunishingGrove, etc... to generate value while chumping Spirit tokens and outdrawing my opp who loaded up on Priest, Cage, Natures Claim, Krosan grip, Ray of Revelation, Karakas, JtMS... At this stage, probably only thinking of trimming: 1 Grisel, Dragon's Breath, 1 Oath. From my side, remove 1 Natures claim, 1 Bolt, 1Misstep.
    I might give it a swing tonight.

• Mouhahahah just finished 5-0 in the league with my transformational side!
    Screw you Priest & Stuff. Below is pic of my last game!alt text

• and previous Opponent round 4 game 3. Screw you Cages! alt text

• This the Oath I played at a vintage trail. I went 4-0-1 and got 3rd place losing a game in second round of top 8 mainly due to mis-plays.

MAIN DECK:

4 Oath of Druids
    4 Saheeli Rai
    1 Dack Fayden
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Time Walk
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Imperial Seal
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Memory's Journey
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Preordain
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Sun Titan
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    SIDE BOARD:

1 Ancient Grudge
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Nature's Claim
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Show and Tell
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

I think winning the turn you Oath will be critical. I know there was Tendrils and Vault/Key but some way to just win the turn you Oath appears to critical. Also, board disruption over board control also appear to critical elements. I played Blood Moon and Pernicious Deed main deck and they were very important factors.

• List with transformational side here
    PS: And it seems that k_f_chicken also finished 5-0 on that day with a different Punishing Oath list

• @tribet It seems that you still play Oath after transformation boarding. Isn't it a pretty bad card then, possibly just getting a Pyromancer out of the deck?

• This is an individual who has clearly not accepted Griselbrand as their lord and savior... The salt is real out there folks! http://oi66.tinypic.com/33tkxvq.jpg

• @ephemeron said in Where is Oath right now?:

This is an individual who has clearly not accepted Griselbrand as their lord and savior... The salt is real out there folks! http://oi66.tinypic.com/33tkxvq.jpg

TheRuinsWeHold is the Phil Hellmuth of MTG.

• I remember seeing @tribet oath into DRS about 4 years ago. Everyone involved was surprised. I'm pretty sure that he won that game though...

• @rbartlet hehe yeah that was in semi against Brian Matthew on Moon Shop. Pretty ballsy plays! I dug up the old deck tech/tourney report, good fun reading it again.link here

@aelien, yep depending on the matchup, I often leave some numbers of Oath into the deck (roughly speaking 2 against Control or Mirror, 4 MUD/Eldrazi/Dredge). I adjust the number of Orchard as well, cutting on lands VS Control and 99% of the time swapping 1 for Mountain.
    If I suspect that Cage is their main answer, I Oath regardless to fetch/draw and play my Mentor or Pyromancer. If Im unlucky and draw Emy, I just Dack/Jace him away.
    Priest decks are a little more annoying to play around but I generally max out on Abrade against them or I dig hard to naturally draw and play Pyro & Mentor.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.