Doomsday post gush restriction

• An unfortunate collateral victim the recent Gush restriction is my favorite unrestricted Magic card, Doomsday. Can it be good without Gush?

I've been tinkering with several lists, and they're all pretty bad. The best I've got so far is some version of this kind of turbo-Doomsday list that wants to Ritual into bomb or Duress + bob on turn 1, and win before your opponent can get their act together. I feel like I should just be playing a dedicated storm list, though. (Sideboard is of course very provisional.)

2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Time Walk
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Gush
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Preordain
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

3 Mental Misstep
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Duress
    2 Thoughtseize

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta

1 Laboratory Maniac
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Doomsday
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Necropotence
    1 Tendrils of Agony

sideboard
    4 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Snuff Out
    1 Mana Crypt
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Yixlid Jailer
    3 Nihil Spellbomb

Anyone else tried anything? Any luck?

• I've been meaning to respond to this for literal months, but silly things like my wedding and honeymoon got in the way. I think the question is still relevant and worthwhile--so I'd rather respond than create a new thread asking the same question.

I know Soly streamed with a list jamming some Dark Petitions some time ago to mixed results--his twitch settings don't seem to be saving videos, so his list might be lost to time unless he sheds some light on it. I don't remember him being too happy with it, though.

In a similar vein, I whipped up a list three months ago following the b/r announcement that merged DPS and Doomsday. This is what I had sleeved up earlier this summer:

//Business--23
    1x Sensei's Divining Top
    3x Dark Petition
    1x Demonic Tutor
    3x Doomsday
    1x Necropotence
    1x Vampiric Tutor
    1x Yawgmoth's Will
    1x Ancestral Recall
    1x Brainstorm
    1x Dig through Time
    1x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Gush
    1x Mystical Tutor
    1x Ponder
    4x Preordain

//Kill--2
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Laboratory Maniac

//Protection--11
    2x Duress
    2x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    1x Hurkyl's Recall
    2x Mental Misstep

//Mana--25
    1x Black Lotus
    1x Lotus Petal
    1x Mana Crypt
    1x Mox Jet
    1x Mox Sapphire
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Cabal Ritual
    4x Dark Ritual
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Flooded Strand
    2x Island
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea

Didn't manage to put a sb together, but it would filled to the brim with cards for the shops matchup. Even looking back on this list, it's woefully underprepared for a known-bad-matchup--a matchup with an even larger market share of the format than three months ago. Bare minimum, a Duress should become another Hurkyl's Recall.

In any case, this is what I came up with after a lot of testing. It storms pretty well, it Doomsdays pretty well, but doesn't keep up with Mentor's draw-power like it used to. This is why I pushed more chips in the direction of DPS--I figured if I can't outdraw or outcounter Mentor like 4-Gush-Doomsday could, I could hopefully outpace them.

Hope you're still keeping the Doomsday dream alive!

• what gush provided for doomsday is irreplaceable with cards from the current pool, what it provided was speed in which to execute a game ending plan at an opportuned time.

Iterations that I have tested only led to mana problems post doomsday. If you try to address the mana issue by slotting more mana, then the build becomes too lackluster in terms of threat/bait spells and so on and so forth.

They could have restricted everything from misstep, preordain, mentor, probe etc., but could have spared gush and NOT totally wreck decks which were NOT abusive/degenerate, and at the same time permit old decks to compete, but such is life with the DCI. Months after restriction I'm still at the same level of frustration.

• I agree had a doomsday deck until gush was restricted.... dont really feel compelled to turn it into full on storm

• The loss of gush would not be so bad if probe was still legal as well. But now, not only does the deck lose on its mana base and its draw engine but it looses the ability to capitilize on openings and win on the spot (not even mentionning that constructing piles can be harder in some instances). TPS is probably the better ritual deck going forward, especially considering the prevalence of workshops in the metagame.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.