Studying for the LSAT, feeling pretty dumb. Help, or laugh at me for fun.

• @Topical_Island Set up rules like Wappla did and use linear programming.

• I remember that there was no subject matter to "memorize" and the gist of the LSAT was to assess general problem solving ability and critical thinking skills. The result of that was that there wasn't exactly anything needed to "prepare" for it. Someone could go in cold and do just as well or better than someone who spent a lot of time stretching their brain on practice exercises beforehand. Consequently, I don't know how much value there would be in dedicating serious time to preparing. My advice would be to avoid stressing over it, sleep well, eat appropriately, have coffee if you drink it and take the test with a relaxed frame of mind. From reading your posts here, you've never demonstrated a bankruptcy of observational, critical, or synthesis skills (quite the contrary) so I would cursorily anticipate you being able to achieve better than average results on most days.

• I'm predictably ignoring Brian's perfectly sound advice, and continuing to study. T- 12 days till test day. I have another question to share, if (the collective) you still finds this at all interesting. (Maybe Brassman can just savor another wildly dysfunctional social dynamic.)

4 Students will be assigned to a history project researching archives from years 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1924. Each of the four years will have exactly one student assigned to it. Six students - Louis, Mollie, Onyx, Ryan, Tiffany, and Yoshio -- are available for this project. The following conditions apply:
    -Only Louis or Tiffany can be assigned to 1923.
    -If Mollie is assigned to the project, then she must be assigned t either 1921 or 1922.
    -If Tiffany is assigned to the project, then Ryan must be assigned to the project.
    -If Ryan is assigned to the project, then Onyx must be assigned to the year immediately prior to Ryan's.

1. Mollie must be assigned to 1922 if which one of the following is true?
      A. Louis is assigned to 1924
      B. Onyx is assigned to 1921
      C. Onyx is assigned to 1924
      D. Tiffany is assigned to 1923
      E. Yoshio is assigned to 1921

(I solved this one... it took too long. My main question is just, is there a better way to solve this sort of thing than to just brute force it by plugging each of the five scenarios into the diagram?)

• @Topical_Island I took the LSAT twice because a higher score would mean scholarship money at my law school. I studied hard for over a month the first time around and did mediocre, scoring a 155. The second time I studied only a day out of the whole month before but I was well-rested the night before, and got a 157, the exact threshold I needed for some scholarship money. Small sample, tons of unknown factors, and perhaps not a significant difference, but Brian's advice is worth further consideration.

• @Topical_Island Brute force is probably the fastest way you can do any of these problems without thinking too hard about them.

In this particular problem, you should be able to eliminate A, B, D right off the bat based on the rules then you only have to brute force C and E.

• @vaughnbros Thanks for your help and attention to this thread.

• TMD Supporter

I know this is a few days old now, but holy cow it brought back memories! I took the LSAT twice (wasn't happy with my first score), second time got a 173 or something. My only advice (like others have said) is to buy all the official practice tests you can (not the fake ones), and grind. However, save 3-4 tests and shelve them until a few days before the exam, then take them right before. It's important they be tests you've never seen before. even if you tell yourself "I took that one 3 weeks ago, I won't remember the questions" you're lying to yourself, your brain will remember stuff and you'll get a slightly artificial bump in your scores every time you re-take the same exam. Good luck!!!

• Got the score back yesterday. I really needed a 160 or better. Got a 162 (85th percentile.) I just wanted to let you folks know and thank everyone who pitched in on this thread and in some private conversations on this site. I honestly believe that correspondence was worth a few points, or put a different way, I really doubt I would have cleared the score without the people on this site. I vaguely recall a debate in search of an operative definition of "Vintage Community" a while back, and whatever that may be, I am sure at least, that it includes some of the most kind and interesting and intelligent people around. Thanks everyone for all your help.

• Administrators

@Topical_Island Congrats!

• @Topical_Island Awsome! Congratz!

• I'm really late to this party but I am attorney myself and wanted to say congrats! It's a long road ahead but the LSAT is a big step out of the way. Stay confident and work as hard as you can in law school if pays off in the long run!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.