So obviously, I was very pleased with the deck VS the blue match-ups. But clearly, I must do some more work against the Aggro + Sphere decks:
- Maybe remove Opal and put 16th Land
- Maybe cut 1 Salvager for 4th Mentor (but I really don't want to be known as one of those guys never running less than 4 Mentors)
- Maybe find room for 3rd Sword MD. That would leave some space for a least 1 Fragmentize in SB
- Maybe remove Skullclamp which is mostly for the Blue match-ups and probably too cute against aggro (Note: I wanted to stay at 14 Artifacts minimum MD to fuel Thirst, PO, Tolarian).
- Maybe play a Meekstone as a Trinket Mage's silver bullet. It's an artifact so possibly a half-decent permanent answer against some Spheres & Wires and it fuels Thirst, PO, Tolarian.
- Maybe replace Pyrite Spellbomb with Aether Spellbomb as it can deal with Smashers, Oath dudes & TinkerBot that seems to regain popularity recently and accessorily bounce my own dudes to rescue them or simply for some extra value (Trinket Mage!). Pyrite provides another answer in case of Moat & Planewalkers but thinking about it further, I will definitely swap for Aether Spellbomb next time. Smasher is the worst.
All in all, the deck was thrown together the night before so doing some real testing & tuning against the Aggro + Sphere match-ups is probably half the secret. It was a tonne of fun regardless and 2 x PO + 2 x Remora (in side) played very well. I think it is the correct recipe and "2 PO only" might become more of a thing in Control decks.
I've been tinkering with Paradoxical Bomberman builds since the PO was available on cockatrice. Its not a bad deck but I usually abandon it because I find I win a VERY large % of my games by just mentoring them out and the bomberman package turns into 1 or 2 dead draws. But its a fun deck and resilient against other U strategies.
You mentioned removing skullclamp but wanting to keep the artifact count up. I would go -1 skullclamp +1 pithing needle. G1 if you get needle you are simply name wasteland, ravager or ballista depending on the deck/situation you are up against. I've played skullclamp in mentor myself. Its simply too cute. It can work wonders and can sit as a dead card for long periods of time. Chalice@1, misstep, null rod/stony silence - there are just so many answers to this particular card that I've found the cons outweigh the pros.
May also want to consider -1mentor +1 trinket mage if you want to focus on bomberman. 1 or 2 mentors should win the game (1 usually does if you have protection against ballista (ohhhh, pithing needle!!) or stp). Another trinket mage just makes getting the pieces for bomberman more consistent.
Also -3 thirst, +2 paradoxical, +1 dack. Both will draw you so many more cards than thirst.
I imagine your counter package is more meta-dependent but I'm surprised by the complete lack of flusterstorms MD. Also since you have Dack you are running red. 1 or 2 By Force or even ancient grudge helps a lot against shops (and can even disrupt some of eldrazi's disruption like revoker and null rod).
Congratulations on the finish. Sounds like it was a fun day for you.