Bomberman 2017

• TMD Supporter

Hi everyone,

Did Bomberman still compete in the current Vintage scene ?
    I just (finally) finished to get into Power for this specific deck, but since I havent played vintage for years (literally), I'm really not up-to-date on what's good and what's out of favor.

I saw here a list with Skullclamp. This is a fantastic card with which I had a lot of fun back in Mirodin era. Since I have to remplace 3 creatures because of Mentor restriction, I thought Skullclamp would be a nice addition with Young Pyromancer. I would love to add the Tinker/Colossus couple, but cant find rooms for it :/

For reference, here is the list I was planning to build.

//MAINDECK
    2 Auriok Salvagers
    2 Trinket Mage
    1 Monastery Mentor
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 Snapcaster Mage

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Mana Drain
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    2 Dack Fayden
    1 Skullclamp

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tundra
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Strip Mine

//SIDEBOARD
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Steel Sabotage
    2 Hurkyl’s Recall

Since I'm literally on "Level zero" of Vintage, all constructive critic are most welcome ;)

• So stretching with another delve card like treasure cruise is out? Thats just what i noticed in bomberman. But i would playtest it with dack fayden, nice with drain mana too. Id add a second mind sculptor too, instead of a young pyromancer. Jace wins more games overall, but depends on if your meta is aggro or not. Im not too sold on pyromancer tech; you lose the card Balance in it, which is a great hitter these days when there are guys like Leovold etc, and can work if you start with moxes or cheap artifact spells.

Why mindbreak trap? Is the storm or more likely Paradox outcome matchup bad?

Id definitely run that gitaxian probe too, to know when to land trinket mage to find pithing needle cards, recall safety or just anything.

• TMD Supporter

So I listen to your advises, and removed Skullclamp, Young Pyro (all) and an Auriok. This let the deck with the following creatures package and 5 slots :

1 Auriok Salvagers
    2 Trinket Mage
    1 Monastery Mentor
    2 Snapcaster Mage

I then added a "light" Tinker Package (Tinker and Colossus), and a Mana Crypt. I tweaked also some other cards to fit Lightning Bolt and Flusterstorm.

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Mana Drain
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Lightning Bolt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle

1 Tinker
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Crypt
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Strip Mine

Will test this list on the next casual vintage ;)

• May be a meta-dependent call but I would -2 lightning bolt +1 salvagers (getting hit by swords sucks) and +1 walking ballista. Ballista is the best win-con this deck packs. If you draw it, you can 'waste' it as a 1/1 or 2/2 and get some board control or early beats in. Then when you need it out of the graveyard, you have salvagers to bring it back.
    If you really want a lightning bolt still then -1 bolt and - 1 aetherspell bomb. Lets face it, if you have salvagers and lotus which would you rather draw - aether spelbomb or walking ballista?

• Agree with Khahan. Ballista is huge with mana drain too. (And less likely, a tinker target.)

But goddamn man, id recommend you to read my post carefully you really need that gitaxian probe etc.

• TMD Supporter

@yakuzaxrock Gitaxian Probe added.

• It's a competent list. The premiere Bomberman pilot, Justin Kohler, never played Snapcaster Mage and after piloting Bomberman for a while, I fully appreciate why. Without the proactive cantrips that other decks use, the card is often inactive in the early/mid game.

While Jeskai is the most common color combination for Blue Stew.dec, Bomberman historically has been UW or Esper. The Dacks, Pyroblasts, and artifact hate might be more compelling in today's meta, though Dark Confidants and Demonic Tutor are also exceptional in Bomberman lists that support a Cavern or two.

We would definitely see a lot more of this deck if Wizards would deign to make some of the marquis maneuvers (anything repetitive, ie Bomberman, Dragon, "CopyCat," Twin) in their paper product available digitally. Too much to ask, I know.

• Ok so what i noticed is no Brainstorm. You only have jace, which you upped 1 recently, and 2 faydens to shuffle in the colos? Hmmm. Brainstorm also works with trinket mage as a small detail shuffler.

• I've piloted this deck to some respectable finishes as well. 17th at 2015 Vintage champs after losing both of my win and in's being the largest tournament I entered with the deck.

I played snapcaster and brainstorm in that list and they were amazing. I'll never cut brainstorm just because of the power it has to find sideboard cards in games 2 and 3. I don't think I need to explain why snapcaster is good in a deck with ancestral, missteps, stp and possibly flusterstorm alongside dack.

I was testing a list with P.O. recently but I don't think it's quite good enough but mentor is an excellent addition to the deck.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=10341&d=259211&f=VI

If I were to run this in a tournament anytime soon it would be close to my list from 3 years ago with a sideboard overhaul.

• From what I see, most players not familiar with Bomberman, try and add the combo to a blue control shell, or cram three decks into one. That might work here and there, but in that case, why even go Bomberman?
    Just my two cents.
    Also, more Jace, The Mindscultor/ Sensei's D. Top, over cantrips and Snapcaster in this deck is best. Jtms IS the back-up plan. Tinker->BsC is good post-board against specific MUs but I wouldn't do it main. Too much tempo loss. The games where you would win with Tinker, you could've won through Bomberman/Jace anyway.

WAF/WHF