June 13, 2017 Banned and Restricted Announcement

• I'm still unsure how they ban marvel and don't unban emrakul

• Emrakul was also ran in BG delirium, where they could often cast it quite early, and there was simply no answer to it.

• @Khahan said in June 13, 2017 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

Pair bannings - not being able to play copies of 2 different cards in the same deck - could have serious trickle down affects on Vintage. Imagine if they go this route (which I see the benefit of for Standard) and somebody in the DCI decides that vault/key really should be pair banned. Or ravager/ballista.

I think the posterchild for such a banning would be Counterbalance / Top in Legacy.

• @Fisken said in June 13, 2017 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

I'm still unsure how they ban marvel and don't unban emrakul

I can't imagine them banning and unbanning something in Standard purely out of fear of the need to re-ban a Standard card.

• It's interesting that they considered reintroducing functional errata (a terrible idea, IMO).

• Wow, Standard really has been a full-on train wreck lately ...

• Rather than @-replying everyone that mentioned unique banning practices, especially as uncharted territory, I'd just like to remind everyone that a specialty ban has already happened in the past. Stoneforge Mystic was banned in Standard unless you played the exact decklist from the War of Attrition Event Deck.

• @evouga said in June 13, 2017 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

It's interesting that they considered reintroducing functional errata (a terrible idea, IMO).

Perhaps there's something in between no change and the previous instances of functional errata?

• Eratta that only applies to the card in Standard tournaments
    • Eratta that automatically goes back to the printed text when the card leaves Standard

• @thecravenone That would create insane confusion to a player who enjoyed a standard only errata'd deck and wanted to play the same type in Modern after rotation. This is extra true for younger players. Definitely outside the box though, which I always appreciate!

• @evouga said in June 13, 2017 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

It's interesting that they considered reintroducing functional errata (a terrible idea, IMO).

Interesting?

I think you mean terrifying.

Functional errata happens all the time. What they were batting around clearly seems to be the old school Power Level Errata. Like, the sort of solution they came up with to "save" standard in Urza block.

When I said Kaladesh was the second coming of Urza, I didn't realize the analogy would go so deep.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.