[HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs

• @MaximumCDawg In principle... I think you are absolutely right.

It is kinda interesting to think though, about this thing being a creature. That lowers its effective casting cost against Shops a lot. Again, 5 of the 9 taxing cards they run have no effect on this... making it, in terms of probability, much easier to cast than even a Crucible.

Math: 31% of top8 decks run Thorn, and average 4 per deck. 28% run Sphere and run 3.9. 26% run Trinisphere. (Also 9.7 run little Thalia, at a 3.9 average)

So if your opponent draws a hand of 7 and stares at you, there is a 12.3% chance they're holding Thorn, 10.9% they have a Sphere, around 3% they have Trinesphere, and about 4% they're holding Thalia... also, a 0.00002% chance that the guy is some hapless standard player who is about to watch his dinky Mardu Vehicles get stomped off the planet by magic as St. Garfield intended it to be.

Getting all those taxing effects down to one number is tough for a couple reasons, but without getting into it too deep, I'd guess its something in the neighborhood of 23 or 24% that they are holding some taxing effect. (This is guestimation though, and can't really be derived with precision without sum'a uncle ray's down home big data scrappin'... but its close anyway.)

SO let's say that barring the Mardu Vehicles scenario, there's about a 1/4 chance you are facing some taxing effect... now consider that if they are holding a taxing effect, the only one that leans on Excavator directly is the Sphere... 10% they are holding it... and even if we know they are holding some taxing effect for certain, there is still only 74% chance that card is not Sphere, and thus has no direct effect on our casting the Excavator

Interesting anyway.

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man said in [HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs:

@MaximumCDawg said in [HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs:

Can we think of any time a Vintage-playable effect got legs and was worse? Seems to me every time they do this the effect gets better.

Magus of the Jar? Magus of the Bazaar? Magus of the Moat? Magus of the Abyss? Magus of the Library? Magus of the Tabernacle? Magus of the Wheel? Magus of the Will?

To be fair, the Magi that represent cards with activated abilities are naturally worse due to summoning sickness. Magus of the Wheel might have been better than Wheel itself had it been the same cost and with haste; you couldn't flusterstorm it or spell pierce it, also couldn't duress it. But yeah all those cards are markedly worse.

• I took Ramunap to a 3-1 in a daily with many outs to a 4-2 in the Challenge (that had other deckbuilding issues) so I can give some preliminary thoughts to the card. I played it in a hatebears deck powered by 4 Ancient Tomb, some Elvish Spirit Guides, and on-color Moxen/ManaCrypt. In hatebears, 3 feels like the right number: it felt marginal against blue, given artifact mana, blue's access to basics, and a propensity for the PO versions to combo out early. It felt very good against Shops, both defensively and proactively on the Wasteland axis; ditto for Dredge, but assuming a Wasteland and less margin-for-error.

In the end, I don't think it has sufficient value to justify a second color all by itself. If the hatebears base color is white, I'm not sure a blue (black?) splash wouldn't be better in the long run. The only other green cards I ran was Deathrite Shaman which I wasn't a big fan of for being slow and lacking punch as a graveyard management tool, and 3-4 sideboarded Manglehorns, which were fine but not as devastating as hoped (better against Shops than PO which will default to the Tinker game plan). If Gush had been unrestricted, I also would have played Gaddock Teegs.

In retrospect, compared to hatebears, I think it might be best suited for the (B)UG-still decks previously mentioned earlier in the thread. Having just one Wasteland source makes the card far more powerful so a good draw engine is indicated to increase the likelihood of finding one. He can attack, of course, under the Landstill soft-lock, and blue decks offer better filtering when his effect would only be marginal. Hatebears or Eldrazi wouldn't want to play GSZ, because of the taxing issues and the lack of targets. I have no opinion of the card in other shells.

Last thought, and don't underestimate it: he makes the value of Jitte go up for deckbuilding purposes.

• TMD Supporter

@BazaarOfBaghdad said in [HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs:

I took Ramunap to a 3-1 in a daily with many outs to a 4-2 in the Challenge (that had other deckbuilding issues) so I can give some preliminary thoughts to the card. I played it in a hatebears deck powered by 4 Ancient Tomb, some Elvish Spirit Guides, and on-color Moxen/ManaCrypt. In hatebears, 3 feels like the right number: it felt marginal against blue, given artifact mana, blue's access to basics, and a propensity for the PO versions to combo out early. It felt very good against Shops, both defensively and proactively on the Wasteland axis; ditto for Dredge, but assuming a Wasteland and less margin-for-error.

In the end, I don't think it has sufficient value to justify a second color all by itself. If the hatebears base color is white, I'm not sure a blue (black?) splash wouldn't be better in the long run. The only other green cards I ran was Deathrite Shaman which I wasn't a big fan of for being slow and lacking punch as a graveyard management tool, and 3-4 sideboarded Manglehorns, which were fine but not as devastating as hoped (better against Shops than PO which will default to the Tinker game plan). If Gush had been unrestricted, I also would have played Gaddock Teegs.

In retrospect, compared to hatebears, I think it might be best suited for the (B)UG-still decks previously mentioned earlier in the thread. Having just one Wasteland source makes the card far more powerful so a good draw engine is indicated to increase the likelihood of finding one. He can attack, of course, under the Landstill soft-lock, and blue decks offer better filtering when his effect would only be marginal. Hatebears or Eldrazi wouldn't want to play GSZ, because of the taxing issues and the lack of targets. I have no opinion of the card in other shells.

Last thought, and don't underestimate it: he makes the value of Jitte go up for deckbuilding purposes.

I saw your list on Goldfish and was hoping that you and the MODO person were one in the same. Thanks for your feedback! By any chance do you have a quick and dirty guide for how you boarded against your matchups during the daily?

• @hierarchnoble Not really, the deck is still too much in flux to be worth a guide. Just try to remember why each card was included in the first place. Try to remember when certain cards are weaker in certain situations and see if they apply also calculate the need vs. the penalty of using spells instead of creatures (like StP - MAYBE critical vs. Tinker, MAYBE a dead draw that is taxed). The maindeck is more metagamed against blue, the sideboard against artifacts. I'm not sure that matches the actual state of the meta, but the anti-artifact cards typically have less maindeck application so it's probably forced.

• I love this card. I've been testing it in a BUG Fish type build. With it being green, it combos very well with Fastbond. Since I'm also playing Demonic and Vampiric Tutor, I have a single Zuran Orb in the build. I've won some otherwise difficult games by gaining infinite life. So far, this card one of the best in the deck.

• Just got my play set of them. I have been very happy with this card in all decks Ive tested him in. Quite amazing.

• TMD Supporter

@Trius

I just scooped to the combo :D good games! Card was great in our games!

• @Brass-Man said in [HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs:

@MaximumCDawg said in [HOD] Ramunap Excavator - Crucible With Legs:

Can we think of any time a Vintage-playable effect got legs and was worse? Seems to me every time they do this the effect gets better.

Magus of the Jar? Magus of the Bazaar? Magus of the Moat? Magus of the Abyss? Magus of the Library? Magus of the Tabernacle? Magus of the Wheel? Magus of the Will?

Just a quick note that you can Oath of Druids Magus of the Moat into play while also having the back-up ability to cast it (unlike, say, Blazing Archon). Not dispositive, but relevant.

• Administrators

@jhport12 agreed, Magus of the Moat is definitely the best card out of that bunch ... it was just fun to rattle off so many :D

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.