[XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass

• Sorcerous Spyglass - 2
    Artifact - R
    As Sorcerous Spyglass enters the battlefield, look at any opponent's hand, then choose any card name.
    Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can't be activated unless they're mana abilities.

Source: https://i.redd.it/r7yoylx9ht3z.jpg

A leak of a foil rare sheet just hit Reddit, and this card seems tailored perfectly for use in Vintage. Workshops can make some very real sideboard use out of a Pithing Needle that dodges Mental Misstep and creature removal, but does the inclusion of free information make it maindeck worthy? After all, leading on this against a deck running fetchlands could put your opponent out of the game nearly immediately.

• Yes, I think people will gladly pay 1 more mana for their Needle in order to never have to blind name something.

Pairing Pithing Needle with Probe seems like a snazzy thing to do. Particularly since the Git Probe restriction.

• Not just fetches, but a turn 1 this against a Divining Top, Engineered Explosives, or in the mirror versus an opposing Wasteland, Mishras Factory, or about any creature (ravager, ballista etc etc), could all be game ending. Also the fact that you can cast this AND a Revoker turn 1 to name Fetch X AND Manarock X, with 100% correctness on Revoker is broken as fuck. Very very powerful card.

• TMD Supporter

Turn 1 Spyglass on guaranteed fetchland into sphere effect seems pretty powerful.

Kind of funny that if this ends up being playable that we'll have swapped the perfect information paradigm from the blue mages to our robot overlords.

• THAT. IS. NOT. HUMOROUS. IT. IS. COMPLETELY. LOGICAL.

I. HOPE. WIZARDS. DOES. NOT. RESTRICT. THE. WORKSHOP. PRASIE. BE. ITS. NAME.

• @MaximumCDawg said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

THAT. IS. NOT. HUMOROUS. IT. IS. COMPLETELY. LOGICAL.

I. HOPE. WIZARDS. DOES. NOT. RESTRICT. THE. WORKSHOP. PRASIE. BE. ITS. NAME.

I got this from r/magicTCG, not r/TotallyNotRobots.

• Please be real, please be real, please be real . . .

• TMD Supporter

Can we please stop looking at player's hands!!!!!

• What you talking about, Im just gonna throw 2 Ancient Tombs and 4 of these in my BLLLLUUUUUUUEEEEEEE list, and fuck your Ravagers and Ballistas. Go the power of Blue!!!!!

• The fact that this card hits fetchlands makes it especially nutty. The main downsides are

1. awkward on the draw
    2. you are heavily incentivized to play it T1 on the play, and unless you have a surplus of mana (Workshop + Mox or Crypt + Tomb) the opportunity cost is a sphere effect. There will be awkward games where your opponent reveals a hand of artifact mana and a tutor or Tinker.

• @Serracollector if you want to hit ravager and ballista then play Null rod right? Playing Ancient tomb in sideboards does seem like decks should be doing this already.

If this card is real, it is strong; however, what do you cut for it in Shops? It should be tested. I will be looking to test this in White Eldrazi. Again, what gets cut? Displacer? TKS?

• In current lists of MUD, wat do you cut? The one of Hangarback, and 3 of the dude that makes all your artifacts cost 1 less? Honestly IMO, this card could bring back a more controlling version of MUD. 10 spheres, Chalice, 4 of these, 4 Tanglewire, 4 Forgemaster, 4 Revoker, 3+ Crucibles, Some fat things to Tinker into, and ur normal manabase. Seems to me these could just as easily be the 4 replacements for chalice/Lodestone that MUD has been wanting or needing based on your view.

• Is it crazy to consider cutting some Tangle Wires? Tangle Wire at the right time can be backbreaking, but it has lost a lot of its effectiveness with the rise of tokens, and replacement of lock pieces that keep opponent permanents off of the board (Chalice, Golem) with more aggression and the reactive Phyrexian Revoker.

• TMD Supporter

I think it's going to see more play in Stax type list.

• I'm not sure this card is better than pithing needle.

Except for the case of being on the play and casting it on turn 1 to hit fetchlands, this card doesn't have any improvements over pithing needle.

But, and here is the huge but:

No one plays pithing needle main deck. No one. Why would this card change that premise?

Let's compare this to a sphere on turn 1 vs mentor. The mentor player will have to figure out a way to deal with the sphere before winning. With this card they probably won't care unless their hand consists of multiple copies of the same fetchland.

• @gkraigher said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

I'm not sure this card is better than pithing needle.

Except for the case of being on the play and casting it on turn 1 to hit fetchlands, this card doesn't have any improvements over pithing needle.

But, and here is the huge but:

No one plays pithing needle main deck. No one. Why would this card change that premise?

Let's compare this to a sphere on turn 1 vs mentor. The mentor player will have to figure out a way to deal with the sphere before winning. With this card they probably won't care unless their hand consists of multiple copies of the same fetchland.

My friend, respectfully, you are wrong. This card is far more intriguing than pitching needle and, I suspect, will replace it. Being able gather perfect info on your opponent while shutting off "SOMETHING" more often than not is a very powerful effect.

• I am on the play with MUD and I cast this card off Workshop. I look at my unknown opponents hand and see mental Misstep AND bazaar of Baghdad. Do I finally have a chance game 1 against Dredge??!! I think so.

• @Stormanimagus

perfect information helps mud decks the least.

look, everyone loves perfect information. Especially game 1 against an unknown player in Vintage. That infomation is worth a lot.

But once we get past that point, the information becomes increasingly less valueable. I might not know every single card in your 75, but after turn 1, I probably know a lot of them.

Here, let me prove to you in a trial assumption about this. Play a MUD deck against a friend and give the MUD player perfect information on turn 0. That one time during the game. And then see how the match play out. I'd be willing to assume the game plays out 90% (or higher) of the time the exact same way it would play out without perfect information.

• TMD Supporter

@ssasala said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

I am on the play with MUD and I cast this card off Workshop. I look at my unknown opponents hand and see mental Misstep AND bazaar of Baghdad. Do I finally have a chance game 1 against Dredge??!! I think so.

If you're running 4x Ballista and 4x Ravager (which you should be), you already have a 30%+ game 1 against dredge. If you're able to shut off their Bazaar without activation, this probably goes up to a 50/50. I actually find this hilarious because of the historical stereotype you're referencing.

• This is one of the few times we get a playable card that I am NOT excited about. We just got rid of Probe and its perfect information problems. Now we take a probe affect and tack it onto pithing needle. Will Wizards never learn from their mistakes? Yes, part of probes was perfect info, plus card draw plus no need for mana. That is basically a perfect info+ card. Now we have the exact same thing - perfect info+ all rolled into a single card and only for 2 mana.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.