[XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass

• @Khahan

probe is a problem because

1. its blue
    2. its free
    3. its a cantrip
    4. perfect information in combo decks can determinte whether or not you win the game

this card does none of those things.

• Im not even a MUD player but I am happy they get this. Its replacement parts for Chalice, and might just be enough to allow the slower more controlling versions of MUD to come back into existence. Anything that can lead tomore archeypes and diversity Im am totally for, whether it be for dredge, Oath, Dudes.dec, Storm, Big Blue or what ever may arise.

• TMD Supporter

@gkraigher I agree it's underwhelming, but definitely worth a sideboard slot or two. Would be interesting if it was legal when Chalice was still unrestricted though. I think then it could squeak into the maindeck.

• @gkraigher said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

@Khahan

probe is a problem because

1. its blue
    2. its free
    3. its a cantrip
    4. perfect information in combo decks can determinte whether or not you win the game

this card does none of those things.

I pretty much said exactly the same thing about probe. None of that contradicts what I said about probe. None of that contradicts what I said about spyglass. None of that contradicts the fact that like probe, sorcerous spyglass easily slots into a deck that can abuse the perfect information at a cheap cost. It slots into decks commonly playing foundry inspector to reduce its cost and workshop to accelerate its cost.

I'm saying right now that this card is going to lead to a lot of 'unfun metagame' complaints from a lot of people.

@Hrishi - Yes that is true that this card was probably in the books before probe restriction discussions. But I wonder if this card coming out had anything to do with the probe restrictions. I've always thought the timing of the chalice restriction had to do with sanctum prelate being released.

• @joshuabrooks

Except it's not worth a sideboard slot because pithing needle is better than it.

The only situation where this is better is vs an unknown opponent game 1 on the play. In every other situation this card is worse. That also means you have to play this card main deck.

No one plays pithing needle main deck. There is good reason they don't. I don't see how this card changes that dynamic.

• The reason people dont play Pithing Needle maindeck is because g1 its a guessing game, and it can be fucking derpstepped. This gets around both those issues. Totally different and BETTER card because of that. The information given can be HUGE for MUD. Oh is that a Chewer? Ill play sphere instead of thorn. Oh you got hurkylls? Revoker on ur blue mox instead of your red one. Oh thats your only land? Wasteland instead of mishras beat. Etc etc. This card is miles ahead of Pithing Needle. Its like calling Young Peezy Mr. Mentor.

• @Serracollector said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

The reason people dont play Pithing Needle maindeck is because g1 its a guessing game, and it can be fucking derpstepped. This gets around both those issues. Totally different and BETTER card because of that. The information given can be HUGE for MUD. Oh is that a Chewer? Ill play sphere instead of thorn. Oh you got hurkylls? Revoker on ur blue mox instead of your red one. Oh thats your only land? Wasteland instead of mishras beat. Etc etc. This card is miles ahead of Pithing Needle. Its like calling Young Peezy Mr. Mentor.

You might want to check some recent decklists before stating people don't play Pithing Needle main deck.

• I never stated that. I know some people do and I KNOW this is gonna see a lot more maindeck play than ppl are thinkn.

• I'll just say right now that this won't see any maindeck play.

• @Griselbrother said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

I'll just say right now that this won't see any maindeck play.

Of course it will! Hell, some idiot might see your post and run it as a fun-of just to spite you. Hell, maybe I'll be that idiot.

• I feel people dismissing this card are forgetting that it gets the exact fetchlands your opponent has in hand. It's a great mana denial strategy. Imagine a Workshop + Mox turn 1 play of these + sphere effect. You hit whatever fetch/moxen/lotus the opponent actually has to play and it's game over. Even if they have a second different fetch, you're still taking out one of this lands.

This card alone may make it important not to play 4-of fetches of the same name if you can do it. I can envision manabases of 2 Misty, 2 Polluted, 2 Flooded, 2 Tarn because of this.

• @fsecco

No I'm not forgetting about that at all. I'm just saying that isn't a significant reason to play this card.

It's also very easy to play 1 of every fetch land to make this a simple 1 for 1.

• Then they just name the turn 1 Dack, Jace TMS, Tezzeret, Time Vault, SFM, Wasteland, Strip Mine, JVP, Diving Top, Factory, Expedition Map, Bazaar of Baghdad, Grim Monolith, Voltaic Key, Library of Alexandria, Sylvan Library, Goblin Welder, Deathrite Shaman, Mox Monkey, or (enter something I missed)? Its not like fetches are the only lands, let alone cards used with activated abilities.

• @Serracollector

This doesn't hit mana sources.

@fsecco

No I'm not forgetting about that at all. I'm just saying that isn't a significant reason to play this card.

It's also very easy to play 1 of every fetch land to make this a simple 1 for 1.

Most decks with fetchlands want at least 4 of a particular fetch to have a consistent access to the sb basic land of their secondary color which is usually the color where the answers to artifacts are. It's difficult getting around that.

• @gkraigher I didn't name cards with mana abilities that would be shutoff?

• @Serracollector

Grim monolith

• @gkraigher You can shutoff its untap ability.

• @Serracollector

Against a paradoxical outcome you can only name voltaic key and sensei diving top. Everything else is total worthless unless they play time vault

@Serracollector

This doesn't hit mana sources.

That was more for me since I mentioned Mox and Lotus. You're right, this isn't Revoker. I still feel this can be good maindeck since you can name the fetch your opponent actually has, even if he's playing 1-ofs. It can also help when on the play against an unknown deck. I don't know if it's that good, but I'd give it a try.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.