[XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass

• I would rather play in a world with no perfect information as the guess/bluff is an important part of the game in my mind. That being said, i think the card is well balanced.

I would not play it in MUD since the opportunity/tempo loss is not worth what you may gain. OK, you might hit a fetchland or something critical, but how many times you will find a hand with moxen or bilands or nothing relevant to name ? Nowadays, MUD has no other choice but try to go as quick as possible and won't change its plan whatever he sees in the opponent hand. As a MUD player, i rather blind name Dack with a revoker than play that card.

On the other, it could be an interesting card in STAX. I am not yet sold on the card but it could be something that might lead to viable STAX decks (maybe not yet but with future cards). In close games, you often find yourself in front of a critical choice : must you keep on putting the opponent out of the game or can you afford for one turn to play card that will makes you win later (crucible for exemple). It is even more important with red-stax IMHO.

I am not sure what is the future of this card but i will definitively get a playset to be on the safe side. ;)

• TMD Supporter

• TMD Supporter

Might slot in for missing thorns now. Pairs very well with revoker if you have 4 mana on turn 1.

• Interesting. Depending on how common this gets this might finally be a reason for people to try mana bases other than dual fetch.

For a two color deck, you can put together enouph comes into play untapped dual lands to not require any fetches.

For 3+ color decks, this gives them a reason to diversify fetches, but a diverse fetch cluster makes it hard to find off color basics. E.g. With 4 flooded strands and two deltas all your fetches and tundra and island and 4 get plains. If you have misty, scalding, 2x delta, 2x flooded then only 2 of your lands get plains. So you are twice as vulnerable to blood moon cutting off a color.

If this is played a lot it has a lot of interesting secondary implications.

• Someone in a Legacy article called this a two-mana Sinkhole, which is accurate. Except with all the Sol lands in Vintage it's more like a one-mana Sinkhole.

Honestly. What in hell is this horse crap. Vintage needs less effects like this. I've frequently advocated for Wasteland restriction, not because it's dominating, but because easy access to multiple colors is a good thing, and encouraging people to play with lands is healthy.

• @ribby I don't agree with your view on wasteland but I do agree we do not need an artifact like this. If it were an enchantment in either white or green, costing a generic and one color mana, it would be great but as an 2 generic mana artifact , its probably going to be restricted within the year, smh.
    I might be exaggerating a bit, I may be hitting it on the nose. Only time will tell. I can see myself running this alongside sol-lands in big blue or Spaghetti shops.

• TMD Supporter

Wow, so much for getting rid of locks! I could see this bringing Stax back from the dead (in addition to there being a lot less tokens running around now (presumably)). Plays very nicely with Revoker. Can allow Cotv to be more complex. And really helps with a Stax decision tree of when to go for the Crucible lock, aggro, or run out the Smokestack. I hate cards that let you see your opponent's hand, but this certainly improves on the currently playable Pithing Needle. Only downside is shops decks usually want a card that does two things (has a body or slows down multiple spells). This might be a little too slow for maindeck shops. But looking forward to testing it!

If nothing else, blue decks might have to mix up their fetchland assortment a little more thoroughly. It's certainly an "unfun" card.

• Anyone who ever complained about "shops not letting ppl play magic" should be terrified of this card. This as a 3 or 4 of in shops means I need to strongly consider mulling a 7 card hand with 2 of the same fetches on the draw without a force of will. Diversifivation of fetches can help, but also make you softer to wasteland effects if you cant reliably grab your basics. Cards like this make me nervous, because they lend themselves to complete and total blowouts.

• @ribby said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

Someone in a Legacy article called this a two-mana Sinkhole, which is accurate. Except with all the Sol lands in Vintage it's more like a one-mana Sinkhole.

Honestly. What in hell is this horse crap. Vintage needs less effects like this. I've frequently advocated for Wasteland restriction, not because it's dominating, but because easy access to multiple colors is a good thing, and encouraging people to play with lands is healthy.

This card stops Wasteland, did you even read it? What are you complaining about?

• This card is testing better than I thought it would.

• Curious if people think this card is still strong post board when you know what your opponent is running vs the mana saving on pithing needle (assuming you are not up against a bunch of Missteps.)

• Wouldn't use Needle - it doesn't sinkhole fetchlands on the play with devastating regularity.

It's a good thought, mana efficiency is premium, but the fetchland destruction is the real hook.

• @Protoaddct @ribby A Needle or two could be an effective compliment to 4 Spyglass for after the initial reveal.

• I'd say 4 Revoker and 3-4 Spyglass is the better choice, even after sideboards. Not running into Missteps is actually great.

• So how is this card after a week or 2 of testing?

• @fsecco not even that, having a lock game one vs dredge is also scary

• I did some little testing and so far the result are quite promissing. It is at its best in the early game but was never a dead draw so far. It is really great against DRS.

• TMD Supporter

I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but the fact that everyone seems to be so quiet about it, and few people are testing it on MTGO, makes me mighty suspicious it will be a champs breakout.

• I'm going to respect it and diversify my fetches a bit more, that's for certain. Curious to see what happens...

• TMD Supporter

@joshuabrooks said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but the fact that everyone seems to be so quiet about it, and few people are testing it on MTGO, makes me mighty suspicious it will be a champs breakout.

Or it's a dud. It's definitely no Thorn of Amethyst.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.