[XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass

• So how is this card after a week or 2 of testing?

• @fsecco not even that, having a lock game one vs dredge is also scary

• I did some little testing and so far the result are quite promissing. It is at its best in the early game but was never a dead draw so far. It is really great against DRS.

• TMD Supporter

I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but the fact that everyone seems to be so quiet about it, and few people are testing it on MTGO, makes me mighty suspicious it will be a champs breakout.

• I'm going to respect it and diversify my fetches a bit more, that's for certain. Curious to see what happens...

• TMD Supporter

@joshuabrooks said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but the fact that everyone seems to be so quiet about it, and few people are testing it on MTGO, makes me mighty suspicious it will be a champs breakout.

Or it's a dud. It's definitely no Thorn of Amethyst.

• TMD Supporter

Saturday's Vintage Challenge.

Four decks out of the top 32 were running 2-3 Sorcerous Spyglass in their maindeck, one of which ended up taking 2nd. The total size of this event was 44 people, so if Sorcerous Spyglass scaled to this size it would be in 5.5 decks, or effectively another deck or two. Vintage isn't exactly known for its fast adoption of role-playing cards such as this, so to see an eighth of the metagame already running it makes me hopeful for its place in the metagame.

Also of note, The Rich Shay showcased the card's power last night when he locked out two of Randy's Flooded Strands on the first turn, effectively winning him the game right there. This may pique the interest of those who get their metagame information from the VSL.

• It's an obviously powerful lock piece with an absurd ceiling, a reasonable floor, a terrific rate, good synergy with existing cards, and applications in multiple orthogonal matchups.

The silence on this is defeaning. And if I'm being honest, more than a little pathetic.

• @ribby said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

It's an obviously powerful lock piece with an absurd ceiling, a reasonable floor, a terrific rate, good synergy with existing cards, and applications in multiple orthogonal matchups.

The silence on this is defeaning. And if I'm being honest, more than a little pathetic.

A 60+ post thread with no fighting isn't silence.

• TMD Supporter

@hierarchnoble said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

Also of note, The Rich Shay showcased the card's power last night when he locked out two of Randy's Flooded Strands on the first turn, effectively winning him the game right there.

As a shops player, I had to laugh and then cry at this. Bring out the pitchforks!

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check it out.

• In my limited testing with the card, I very much like it. I'll be running some number at champs.

I think the double fetchland destroyer on turn 1 is rather rare. I haven't even been able to hit a fetchland with the card yet, or if I had the choice it was not the optimal line.

The information has helped somewhat more than I expected it to, but it's again not as valuable as it is to other lists.

• A lot of the discussion has been focused on slotting this into shops to pair with revoker. My question is for non-shops decks. Does this replace pithing needle in your sideboards?

That 1 mana difference can mean a WHOLE lot. In games 2 and 3 getting a turn 1 needle down naming bazaar vs a turn 2 can be the difference between stopping dredge and dredge going off. A turn 2 spyglass vs shops on the draw is a lot less effective at naming wasteland and stopping waste effects than a turn 1 needle. But then again casting spyglass and knowing if you need to name ravager or ballista could be great. Not having to guess at blind naming black lotus or jace or dack could be huge. So non-shops pilots - needle or spyglass?

• @khahan said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

A lot of the discussion has been focused on slotting this into shops to pair with revoker. My question is for non-shops decks. Does this replace pithing needle in your sideboards?

That 1 mana difference can mean a WHOLE lot. In games 2 and 3 getting a turn 1 needle down naming bazaar vs a turn 2 can be the difference between stopping dredge and dredge going off. A turn 2 spyglass vs shops on the draw is a lot less effective at naming wasteland and stopping waste effects than a turn 1 needle. But then again casting spyglass and knowing if you need to name ravager or ballista could be great. Not having to guess at blind naming black lotus or jace or dack could be huge. So non-shops pilots - needle or spyglass?

Dodging Mental Skillstep with Spyglass is some good.

• @seksaybish said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

@khahan said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

A lot of the discussion has been focused on slotting this into shops to pair with revoker. My question is for non-shops decks. Does this replace pithing needle in your sideboards?

yes, the standard reply to a discussion involving alternatives to any 1 drop. But what deck running misstep would you bring pithing needle or spyglass in for? Non-shops decks are bringing in needles to stop wastelands to help stabilize their own mana base or to stop specific strategies like bazaar or 2-card monte. Those don't run misstep. Maybe BUG (I board 1 needle in usually for either wastes or DRS) fits this category. But generally speaking with needle I'm not in the least bit concerned about it being misstepped.

• @khahan said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

@seksaybish said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

yes, the standard reply to a discussion involving alternatives to any 1 drop. But what deck running misstep would you bring pithing needle or spyglass in for? Non-shops decks are bringing in needles to stop wastelands to help stabilize their own mana base or to stop specific strategies like bazaar or 2-card monte. Those don't run misstep. Maybe BUG (I board 1 needle in usually for either wastes or DRS) fits this category. But generally speaking with needle I'm not in the least bit concerned about it being misstepped.

You nailed it with BUG and Pitch Dredge. There's also StoneBlade, Standstill, and UR Delver w/ Dack/JVP.

• @seksaybish said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

@seksaybish said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

You nailed it with BUG and Pitch Dredge. There's also StoneBlade, Standstill, and UR Delver w/ Dack/JVP.

Yes, those decks run missteps, but I'm not bringing in needle against them - or actually ever facing them in a quantity that concerns me (stoneblade is basically non-existent in my meta) and pitch dredge has usually emptied its hand after the first 2 turns or runs out of missteps fighting needles, nihil spellbombs and cages. In other words, misstep is hardly a concern for decks running pithing needle. So, putting aside misstep if for no other reason than to move the conversation forward and away from the obligatory, "You can't play one drops because misstep!!!" red herring - which do you use: needle or spyglass. My gut tells me the match ups I most want the effect in, speed is more important and needle is still the choice.

• I don't think I really want the Needle effect without the fetchland denial attached. And I think the rate is only good in Shop/Tomb decks. And the synergies only really exist within the decks also running Wastelands and Revokers.

So, not super interested in this anywhere other than Shops.

• New Vintage Challenge results on mtgo: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/vintage-challenge-10913701#paper

Doesn't look like any shops pilots care for the Spyglass at all! I'm surprised.

• @kenan said in [XLN] Sorcerous Spyglass:

New Vintage Challenge results on mtgo: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/vintage-challenge-10913701#paper

Doesn't look like any shops pilots care for the Spyglass at all! I'm surprised.

I'm not. That card is way overrated. It doesn't turn sideways and that is what Shops is so brutally efficient at doing right now. It doesn't shut off as much as a single sphere. Like it isn't THAT good a card folks. Sorry.

• @stormanimagus the lists I've seen are not eschewing Spyglass for creatures though - they're playing Tangle Wire again.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.