[HOU] Solemnity

• Enchantment 2W
    Players can't get counters.
    Counters can't be placed on artifacts, creatures, enchantments, or lands.

At 3CC this card is not playable as a hate piece (no matter how amusingly it interacts with Ravager Shops) but it is comboriffic enough to merit some discussion.

It instantly triggers Dark Depths and lets Thing in the Ice flip after one spell. Cumulative upkeep costs are waived---free permanent Remora or Glacial Chasm. There are a ton of color hosers with cumulative upkeep too. Undying and Persist creatures are immortal.

• This is an amazing card. So so many combos. Im excited.

• It's interesting. It would have a better chance if infect was a player in the format, as it is in legacy.

The cumulative upkeep stuff is great.

I don't know what this combos with outside of dark depths.

• So happy to see nice Enchantments getting printed
    PS: an horrible combo with Celestial Convergence

• This is a cool card. Great design folks. Keep it up.

• Note that I don't think it will remove any Dark Depths counters, so always play this first.

• TMD Supporter

I guess the best cumulative upkeep card to use with this is Glacial Chasm. And obviously it has the same infinite combo loop with Murderous Redcap/Kitchen Finks + sacrifice outlet

• @gkraigher said in [HOU] Solemnity:

It's interesting. It would have a better chance if infect was a player in the format, as it is in legacy.

The cumulative upkeep stuff is great.

I don't know what this combos with outside of dark depths.

Actually DSC is slowly popping up more often. This does stop him. Its a bit late so I can't wrap my brain around - with this in play will DSC just not do anything to a player at all or will infect revert to just dealing damage?

• This post is deleted!

• This has very exciting general utility in Zur EDH, and combos nicely with the also-fetchable Phyrexian Unlife.

• @Khahan I'm pretty sure it does nothing to either creatures or players. Infect replaces damage with counters, which then can't be placed.

• @evouga

This is correct. Creatures with infect will effectively do nothing in combat.

However, they still trigger things like swords (of light and shadow, etc.) and lifelink even though 0 damage is effectively being dealt.

(That's like level 5 judge stuff)

• Shop hate vs Smokestack, Tangle Wire and all their creatures with counters... Interesting. Some 3CC permanent shot hate cards have seen play.

• It removes time counters from stuff with Vanishing as well.

Rulings:
    If the last time counter is removed from a permanent with vanishing and the sacrifice ability is countered, that permanent will remain in play indefinitely with no time counters on it. Neither of vanishing's two triggered abilities can possibly trigger again. Similarly, if a permanent without time counters on it that's already in play becomes a copy of a permanent with vanishing, it will stay in play indefinitely. If a permanent with one or more time counters on it that's already in play becomes a copy of a permanent with vanishing, it will vanish as normal.

Shouldn't that mean

• Chronozoa + sac outlet will go infinite.
    • Ravaging Riftwum and Waning Wurm are cheap fatties
    • Lost Auramancers becomes Academy Rector (ish)

• I have a play set of signed Jotun Grunts I have been dying to dust off.

• Time to dust off my Japanese foil Aboroths!

• Also hates out Engineered Explosives.

• @The-Gremlin-Lord I know this is going right into my Zur EDH deck. My buddy that plays Atraxa is already cursing me lol

• Absolutely brutal hate card against Ravager shops. Ballista? Nope. Ravager? Nope. Hangarback? Nope.

Combos with Depths and numerous other things.

So it seems it has promise in Vintage.

• TMD Supporter

@vaughnbros said in [HOU] Solemnity:

Absolutely brutal hate card against Ravager shops. Ballista? Nope. Ravager? Nope. Hangarback? Nope.

Combos with Depths and numerous other things.

So it seems it has promise in Vintage.

Wouldn't you rather be playing Energy Flux at this CC?

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.