RFC: Improving The Mana Drain

• I don't take the internet too seriously, one of the benefits of being old.

• @Brass-Man

I am curious what your vision of the site was, and what you woild find beneficial as a player. I am also of the opinion that this is ultimately your sandbox, the rest of us just play in it.

If you were to undertake steps to move tmd more in line with your vision, I'd be interested to see it. You've long been a reasonable voice.

• @revengeanceful

This is basically because this site has become very unorganized and not moderated at all...or not enough.

I've often used the Source (legacy forums) as a gold standard for organization. This site isn't what it used to be on orfanization or moderation. And this less quality posting happens.

• The sources standards for their deck thread discussion is abysmal. Massive flood of posters who don't play and haven't even read primers.

• If someone non-ironically makes a spoiler thread for the HOU reprint of Strategic Planning then they should be banned.

• Administrators

@The-Gremlin-Lord nobody got banned over the Anticipate thread, and that was much worse!

• @Brass-Man Wait, someone made a thread for the reprint of a downgraded Impulse?! That must've been before my time.

• I like a lot of these rules, however:

• Regarding the entire section E: do we really need to dance around certain topics here? Especially if TMD is intended to be an "academic forum" on Vintage-related forums, no topic should be proscribed outright (though discussions should be moderated if they become too heated).

• Regarding single card discussions: I don't see any harm in people posting dubious new printings for discussion. there is a lot of value in discussions about cards that at first seem clearly not playable in Vintage, including brainstorming on whether the card actually is playable, evaluation of what would have to change in the metagame or in the statistics of the card before it became printable, etc. As a point of comparison, I really enjoy the "So Many Insane Plays" podcasts that evaluate new printings: almost all of the cards end up with both podcasters predicting zero top 8 appearances, but I'm still never unhappy to listen to the discussion surrounding these unplayable cards.

• @evouga said in RFC: Improving The Mana Drain:

I like a lot of these rules, however:

• Regarding the entire section E: do we really need to dance around certain topics here? Especially if TMD is intended to be an "academic forum" on Vintage-related forums, no topic should be proscribed outright (though discussions should be moderated if they become too heated).

In my prospective rules, I've said you can talk about them but only in their own threads. I have no problem with the topics per se but when they come up in other discussions, those discussions often derail quickly. How many threads

• Regarding single card discussions: I don't see any harm in people posting dubious new printings for discussion.

I like discussing as many of the new cards as possible. However, spoilers have changed from a four-times-a-year "season" to a nearly year-round occurrence. These spoiler threads act as weeds chocking out the flowers that are the rest of the strategy discussion. If I want to find a deck discussion or primer from a month or more ago, I must wade through dozens of cards that have since been determined to be junk in order to find them.

Possible solutions:

• Higher minimum playability requirement for cards (I dislike this idea in general)
    • A subforum to act as a "graveyard" to which cards that have determined to not be vintage-playable will be moved (Requires frequent mod action. May require threads to be moved back and forth. Will make finding SCD's more difficult)
    • A subforum devoted to SCD

• @thecravenone said in RFC: Improving The Mana Drain:

• A subforum devoted to SCD

+1

People are looking for very different things when it comes to single-card discussion. Just lump them into a single forum so that the people who want to discuss "What mana cost at which this effect would be playable" can do so, while the rest of us can ignore that thread.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.