Taking suckiness to a whole new level...

• Anyone want to cheer me up? After starting 3-0 last week in the Challenge, I'm on a 11-match losing streak (discounting a bye), and I think a pitiful 2-22 in games, about half not even close. 0-7 with Eldrazi, 0-4 with Jeskai Mentor, stock lists. Anyone ever done worse?

I haven't drawn particularly badly (or well), but it's been an issue of my opponents have constantly had the right answer to whatever question I can pose. I'm actually not even particularly bummed about it, finding it more bizarre than anything else.

Tips anyone?

• Administrators

Man, I wish I did have tips for this. I have absolutely had similar losing streaks, that shit is tough.

Personally, when I'm getting ruined at magic I like to play board/video games that aren't too hard so I can have the feeling of winning for a bit :D objectively I know that grinding levels in a random RPG shouldn't make me feel great.... But it usually does!

• TMD Supporter

I haven't been able to play much recently. Every time I do things have gone mostly poorly and It's been frustrating. What I try to do is remind myself that I don't always know the contents of my opponent's hand, many games I felt great about just destroying someone might have been a game where they were having similarly bad draws/bad beats as to what I've been experiencing. Skill is very important in Magic but you also ":have to have it" too.

• I wouldn't put too much into it. It's still a small sample size and the variance in Vintage is much, much bigger than most people realize .

• I've had similar losing streaks in Poker. My advice is to go for a hike, step away from playing for a week or so, and try to push reset on your game playing brain. I know for me, when I run bad like that, it is almost always some combination of bad luck and bad play. A lot of times I start playing well and getting unlucky, and after that happens enough, I start playing badly or in a questionably unorthodox way, to try to play around the next bout of slings and arrows that you can almost feel coming. At that point, its time to stop and let your brain regenerate a belief in the possibility of normal luck again.

• @BazaarOfBaghdad said in Taking suckiness to a whole new level...:

Anyone want to cheer me up? After starting 3-0 last week in the Challenge, I'm on a 11-match losing streak (discounting a bye), and I think a pitiful 2-22 in games, about half not even close. 0-7 with Eldrazi, 0-4 with Jeskai Mentor, stock lists. Anyone ever done worse?

I haven't drawn particularly badly (or well), but it's been an issue of my opponents have constantly had the right answer to whatever question I can pose. I'm actually not even particularly bummed about it, finding it more bizarre than anything else.

Tips anyone?

Regression to the mean says you are due for a major win streak. :)

• People go on Losing streaks.

I went 6-2 in 2012 with RUG Delver at Champs.
    I went 1-2 Drop in 2012 at NYSE with BUG Vault
    I went 5-3 in 2013 with Doomsday at Champs.
    I went 0-2 Drop in 2013 at NYSE with (I can't even remeber)
    I went 2-2 Drop in 2014 with 4 Color Control.
    I went 2-2 Drop in 2015 with 4 Color Control.
    I went 0-2 Drop after a bye in 2016 with Paradoxical Control.
    I've 0-2 Dropped, 0-2 Dropped, 4-2 for 16th, and 5-1 for 5th in Power 9 championships.

I used to win everything - then I started losing a lot. The cards (Mistep, Flusterstorm, Mentor, Revoker+Friends, Paradox) Make this format much more forgiving than it used to be.

Bottom line, you could have the IQ of a shoe and still win games. That's something that wasn't true until 2008 when Time Vault was errata'd.

Don't let losing streaks get to you.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.