Vintage Challenge - 7/1/17

• Another week, another challenge. Congrats to MTGO user Scabs on a dominating performance, running the table with a version of Mentor featuring Night's Whisper. Also, congrats to Andy (@Montolio) on a second place finish following his month-long sabbatical away from crushing online Vintage tournaments. The top 32 decklists are available here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-challenge-2017-07-02.

The top 8 decks were:

1. Scabs - Esper Mentor
    2. Montolio - Blitzkrieg Shops
    3. WashableWater - Jeskai Mentor
    4. Butakov - Blitzkrieg Shops
    5. Jazza - Jazza Shops
    6. Neo_Altoid - Paradoxical Mentor
    7. BadBrain - Jazza Shops
    8. BrianPK80 - Brian Kelly Deck TM (loosely classified as Paradoxical Mentor)

The metagame report is slightly different this week. I added a column for Standard Deviation. If you are interested in the math behind it, you can check out Wiki's post on binomial distributions. The intent here is to provide a perspective on the variability of win rates in a single event (which is based on sample size). This was only done for archetypes - Ryan has been busy this weekend and I try not to touch his formulas out of fear of breaking everything.

alt text

alt text

Big Blue consisted of Grixis Thieves, Academy Combo, and BUG Tezzerator. Blue Control consisted of Blue Angels and UW Stoneblade. Other consisted of Workshops Combo and The Mountains Win Again.

For Americans reading this, happy July 4th weekend!

Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oCfKK1AzjCyFESsfWrHlJVUJPeDZJZC4S4xhFnC1knc/edit?usp=sharing

• TMD Supporter

Another dominating performance for big blue I see. #restrictGiftsUngiven

• This post is deleted!

• As I was told this was a weird Event. Apparently the pairings in the last round were totally random.

What I wonder is Why you, Chubby, conceded to Montolio in the last round. You don't Enjoy kicking people out but would rather collude? I guess you are friends; still this leaves a bitter taste of the competitive aspect. Glad the random pairings worked out for you....

• @Wintage said in Vintage Challenge - 7/1/17:

As I was told this was a weird Event. Apparently the pairings in the last round were totally random.

What I wonder is Why you, Chubby, conceded to Montolio in the last round. You don't Enjoy kicking people out but would rather collude? I guess you are friends; still this leaves a bitter taste of the competitive aspect. Glad the random pairings worked out for you....

This is actually not at all uncommon.

• TMD Supporter

@Wintage said in Vintage Challenge - 7/1/17:

As I was told this was a weird Event. Apparently the pairings in the last round were totally random.

Your kidding!!!! No wonder I missed

• @Wintage

First, that was not collusion. Matt didn't take a bribe; he conceded a match where winning would likely have netted him nothing but cost his friend the top8. If you're offended by conceding to a friend for no gain, I suggest you not look into what happens in situations where there are Pro Tour invites or points for Silver/Gold/Platinum on the line. You can basically bribe your opponent as long as you use the right phraseology.

Does it suck to be on the "X-1 and not paired down against a friend" part of the equation? Of course. I think this is misdirected though. A more constructive route would be encouraging Wizards to design tournaments without perverse incentives. As it stands someone is being called out for for streaming a tournament rather than having the concession happen in secret.

When I'm 3-0 and I get paired down against someone that's 2-1 in a daily I always concede because WOTC doesn't have a properly balanced prize pool. I don't feel bad about that, nor do I think anyone should be obligated to kick their friend out of the top8.

• Any time i hear someone talk about tournament collusion I wonder if they actually understand how real life works.

• Thanks diophan for the helpful response.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.