1 Yawgmoth's Will- Combo enabler
    1 Windfall- Big draw or Combo Enabler

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void- Anti Combo
    3 Chain of Vapor- Anti Control
    4 Echoing Truth- Anti Control
    4 Yixlid Jailer- Anti Aggro

The sideboard is completely customizable. Within the colors blue and black

Card explanations are in the dashes next to the cards. Now the problem is whether to use Gifts Ungiven, or try and use some alternative method for a tutor or combo enabler. The deck needs 3 more blue sources to be at tip top condition. Maybe a unrestricted brainstorm would help. I had a list earlier about TPS but forgot the one of cards it used. I guess slot something like Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time or possibly something like Windfall.

• Administrators

I love seeing a TPS thread on the site. Can you give any more insight into why you chose some of the cards? I mean every deck likes tutors and mana, but why pick the numbers you did?

It looks like you're running 4 Gifts Ungiven where other players might be running Dark Petition, any chance you could give any example typical Gifts piles?

A lot of players seem to have dropped off of TPS in favor of Outcome-based decks. Why have decided to stick with TPS, and how do you think it fits in the current meta compared to other options?

• Well TPS has a long history of being one of the most dominant decks in MtG history.
    It has the tools, skills, and atleast to some extent the flair needed to get it over the hump.

With recent restrictions like Chalice of the Void and Lodestone Golem; Stax has took a nosedive in tournaments so it's time to dust off a old deck of mine.

The cards selected show the raw power of TPS, and also show how it can be versatile in the SB with anti Combo, Control, and Aggro.

• I like it, I would personally switch to thoughtseize over duress.

• @Shax While stax may be low in numbers, shops is not. So expect a lot of spheres still.

• Administrators

@Shax In most metagames right now, Shops is still a popular and successful archetype, but of course that kind of thing varies in different metas. I still think a well-built TPS deck can handle the field, though.

If you haven't played a lot of vintage since the Chalice/Lodestone restrictions, I would look into the card Dark Petition. TPS had a small revival a few years back ... in fact a lot of newer players now call the deck "DPS" instead (Dark Petition Storm), but it's basically the same deck.

I'd also highly recommend Defense Grid against the field now. Control decks have largely shifted toward super-efficient, but specialized counterspells like Mental Misstep, Fluterstorm and Pyroblast. A well-timed Defense Grid can really beat up on modern control decks.

• Mental Misstep, while a good four of; can potentially hurt more than what it does with trick countering a spell.

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man

I think it's because Gifts is one of the best blue engine cards for a Storm deck; it's to meet the blue threshold for FoW. Otherwise you definitely play Petition.

• Since we are playing Tinker, and we have 4 leyline of the void in the sideboard, would it be good to also play a helm of obedience? It would make tinker win faster and not trouble us with needing to build storm. You could basically just tutor for tinker too.

• Helm is a route, but requires many sideboard slots dedicated to it and also maybe like Serum Powder. Serum Powder might rise in price and usage if people start needing mulligans in magic more often and more ways to find their combos. With new sets new combos emerge so serum powder is the perfect canidate for such a deck.

4 Leyline is to fight other Combo decks using Yawgmoth's will.
    4 Echoing Truth and 3 Chain of Vapor is to fight the Control decks basically toe to toe with whatever they throw out.
    4 Yixlid Jailer is to fight aggro decks that think they can fight with flashback or some sort of abilities from the graveyard. Dredge for example.

• TPS should be a strong contender in a metagame of shops and mentor. It's naturally favored against blue decks as long as it can somewhat keep up on cards (the restriction of gush opens this). It's far more resilient to hate than Paradoxical outcome. It also has a much better shops matchup than traditional ritual storm due to having more lands and FoW.

I feel like the list from the OP is a little outdated however.
    I was thinking something like this for the current meta:

3 Underground Sea
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Necropotence
    1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Gifts Ungiven
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Cabal Ritual
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Flusterstorm
    3 Mental Misstep
    4 Force of Will
    1 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Time Walk
    3 Dark Petition
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Mind's Desire
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Timetwister
    1 Tendrils of Agony

SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 Island
    SB: 2 Mystic Remora
    SB: 3 Pack Rat
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Ravenous Trap

• @Macdeath I should have known you were working on TPS too! I really like the direction you've taken, but I feel like you should play more than 1 Gifts. It's incredibly versatile and let's you grab either gas, mana or value. It also brings up your blue count for FoW, which from my experience tends to be a little bit of struggle for TPS!

• @Hrishi said in TPS 2017!:

@Macdeath I should have known you were working on TPS too! I really like the direction you've taken, but I feel like you should play more than 1 Gifts. It's incredibly versatile and let's you grab either gas, mana or value. It also brings up your blue count for FoW, which from my experience tends to be a little bit of struggle for TPS!

I really love gifts in the deck but there are only so many slots for combo enablers. The deck already runs petition and is very ywill centric so more gifts means more liability vs grave hate. I also wanted to make room for the singleton gush (to give the deck more blue on blue game)but slots are too tight.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.