SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review

• TMD Supporter

Would folks find it useful if we published a table with each podcast that included our final predictions? Or would it be a disincentive to listen? Just curious.

• @Smmenen publishing a table would be very helpful in a sense that if you see the table you will still need to listen to the 'cast to find out why such verdict on a certain card; plus the side comments and stuff : )

• @Smmenen I'd say you should publish a table in the yearly review of the cast. Publishing it every episode sounds bad to me. I love not knowing where you guys stand while you're talking about the card.

(edit: kinda like a Moxie for "Achievement in Predictions" :P )

• TMD Supporter

@Smmenen said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

Would folks find it useful if we published a table with each podcast that included our final predictions? Or would it be a disincentive to listen? Just curious.

If you included a "Do you agree with Kevin or Steve?" poll with each item it I could see it still engaging the audience. It would be fun to see how the players align with the hosts.

• @Smmenen said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

I think a table like that would be a way to engage players like myself. I can post from work and jump online a bit here and there. But I don't have 1 1/2 to 2 hours to listen. I'm very interested in what you guys have to say and follow these threads when they are posted, but don't have any real meaningful way to engage in the content.

• @Khahan I usually listen on my way to work, in several parts when they go longer. It's a pretty good way to pass time, actually. (tip: I also listen while doing the dishes, which takes away the boring part)

• TMD Supporter

@Khahan said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

@Smmenen said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

I think a table like that would be a way to engage players like myself. I can post from work and jump online a bit here and there. But I don't have 1 1/2 to 2 hours to listen. I'm very interested in what you guys have to say and follow these threads when they are posted, but don't have any real meaningful way to engage in the content.

Yeah, I recommend listening to the podcast, like any other podcast, when you are doing other things, like driving/commuting, working out, cleaning up, cooking, etc.

• (Un)Fortunately I only have a 7 min commute to work. And my work day is spent on the phone or reviewing with customers. I may get 5 mins here or there. I could use your table of contents and hit specific parts of interest but I doubt I'll get a chance to listen to a full 2 hour or even half hour portion of the show.

• @Brass-Man I'd be very interested in some feedback on your tests, if you had time to do some. Do you have enough gas to beat mentor ?

• Hey guys, great podcast as usual.

I was surprised that you found Tragic Lesson so interesting; it seems to be that it's a big dud. I listened to you discuss how it bounces lands so it actually loads your hand with 3 cards, and how it has similarities to Thirst for Knowledge and Gush, and all of that. At the end of the day, though, I think you missed the forest for the trees.

The forest is this: Tragic Lesson costs 3, and for that price, you get to replace the card and dig 2 deep into your deck. This is Divination territory in a format where we can draw 3 mana for U.

Yes, you can also bounce your lands to generate mana, save them from wasteland, or simply keep more cards in your hand if you need to do that. But, these are situation-dependent uses.

The only use case that is likely to come up reliably is generating mana. "Right," you say, "and that's a lot of the reason why Gush is so good." Kind of. Gush is also free to cast, so the act of tapping UU and Gushing to replay a land generates mana. With Tragic Lesson, you have to spend 3 to get the ball rolling, so all that a replay does is gives you the option to play it for 1U if you do so at sorcery speed (because it has to be your turn still to get the land drop). Is a card that is situationally a Predict good?

Spending 3 mana to counter a wasteland is generally not a workable solution, since there will be many situations where the mana denial strategy prevents you from ever getting there. I love me some Rack and Ruin, but it sees no play over 1 casting cost removal spells.

And then we come to the comparison to Thirst and Compulsive Research. Thirst at 3 mana digs 3 deep and puts them all in your hand; and then it lets you put an artifact halfway into play by binning it. That's a ton of reliable, non-situational value that is better than Tragic's best case scenario.

This smells more like Research. You trade sorcery speed and 3 cards with discard for instant speed and 2 cards plus shenanigans. And while, as you mention, people tinker with Research, it realistically sees no active play today.

All in all, I think you guys may have gone too deep into this card. It's not a very nice-looking forest.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.