Am I crazy or does The Locust God (HOU) work?

• So this started as an amended Grixis Thief deck with the Locust God, but I went through a few modifications and it seems to path out pretty well. It's a bit challenging getting TLG out without some counter hate but once it hits it seems to line up pretty well. The Skullclamp really nails it in. Am I missing anything? It runs like clockwork when I test it. Maybe I'm Missing Something.

• @TheGuild979 Are you able to consistently cast him? I feel like the biggest drawback to TLG is the he costs 6 and you still have to do something after he hits the board. He isn't scary enough to just say go. He is also a little small at that 4/4 number so stuff like dismember looks great against him. What have you been play testing against?
    I think he is a viable card if you can make it work. Bident of Thassa does seem a little slow though. A four drop that doesn't do anything by itself seems really expensive as a draw engine.

• Administrators

So many 4s!

No matter what you take away from the rest of this post ... you're running a LOT of 4+drops. With 11 cards that cost 4 or more (not counting Blightsteel Colossus and Force of Will). You're going to have a lot of games where turns 1-2-3 you'll be stuck without a lot of options. I would strongly recommend dropping some number of these cards for something cheaper to smooth out your curve.

Locust Gods vs Locust God-Enablers

So you're running a TON of cards that are great with The Locust God out, which don't really do anything if you don't have a Locust God out (Porphoros, Skullclamp, Bident)

I think this is a little misbalanced, which gives you 2 options:

• cut some of the Locust God-support cards, so you're not stuck drawing them without a Locust God in play
    • add more cards that are synergistic with them, so that if you draw the support cards, they won't be dead.

Maybe there's a version of your deck that runs Young Pyromancer to make Clampable tokens before you've resolved a Locust God?

Better enablers

On the subject of Locust God support cards - I think you can do better. There's some universal magic law in here some where, so I'll try to abstract it.

With the list you've posted, you're in a situation where you have [Card A] (Locust God) and [Card B] (Clamp, Bident, Purphoros), where Card B is ONLY good if you already have Card A in play. There's nothing wrong with that, there are lots of great decks built with that pattern.

When you have a deck with this pattern, though, you really want the synergy of those two cards to be maximized. You want [Card B] to be the best possible thing to combo with [Card A], which means it's a little awkward to have 3 different cards there ... surely one of those three options is better than the other two?

Imagine a Time Vault deck that ran 1 Voltaic Key and 3 Twiddle. Twiddle+Time Vault is actually pretty fantastic synergy. An extra turn for one blue mana is pretty amazing. The problem is, you could just be running extra Voltaic Keys instead, which is significantly better. There are a few situations where Twiddle is better, but largely speaking, you'd be wrong to run a mix of Twiddles and Final Fortunes (which also combo with Time Vault) and so on, when you're not already running a full set of Voltaic Keys and Tezzeret, the Seekers. I worry that this is where your list is.

Bident + Locust God is pretty awesome, but I suspect it's a lot worse than Skullclamp. Purphoros + Locust God is the same. Obviously you're at 3 Skullclamps though, so you can only do so much by adding more, and to be fair, your other cards aren't Null Roddable. But I think you're missing a bigger opportunity here.

The card Beck (Beck/Call) is just a kill with Locust God. As awesome as it is to draw 2 cards for 1 mana and probably overwhelm the opponent with card advantage over 3 turns, Beck wins immediately. I think it's pretty splashable in this list for you, and if it isn't, it's probably better than what black is giving you here.

conclusions

Of course, if you're going with the earlier strategy of adding more token generators, this is less true. Beck is much better with Locust God than Skullclamp is, but Skullclamp is better with Young Pyromancer, so I think there's a list there, too.

So if I personally were working on this deck, I'd go down one of two different paths:

• U/R/x tempo control with Pyromancers, Clamps, and Locust God at the top end
    • U/R/G/x combo control with Locust God/Beck as one-turn finisher

• Brassman covered most of it. But, for one, Gitaxian Probe is restricted, so scratch one of those. I would be running 4 Preordain, and would most definitely be running Dig Thru Time. I also think you should drop black for Green, which gives you Beck//Call for the instawin, and also gives you Ancient Grudge for the MUD mu, and Sylvan Library which is obv great for a plethora of reasons, and Natures Claim to help versus Oath and MUD. I also love Gaeas Blessing and the draw 7s, but that might just be me and be "win more" or "cute" but who knows til you try? I like the concept tho, good luck!

• I like all of this advice and didn't even know Beck was a card, or forgot at least. I was only sitting on black for the tutors anyway and was starting to lean away from it. THanks for all the ideas!

• If you are going to go green for beck/call you should also consider sylvan library. Not only does it help you dig for the cards you need to get Locust god out and protect him but its 3 triggers after you resolve him.

• As far as Green Goes running Gaea's Cradle might be a mana engine option as well, just a thought, because the list is really mana intensive. Crop rotation would not be a bad option either to get to your fast mana like Tolarian and maybe a Gaea's ...

• Wow Sylvan Library is actually bonkers with this card. I genuinely hope The Locust God becomes Vintage playable. It seems like it could easily slide into the Oujati, Dromoka, Consecrated Sphinx family of playable creatures on the top end of the curve.

• why not have the draw 7's ( timetwister wheel of fortune and maybe memory jar ) and also notion thief, it would work great with dack fayden and if you have notion thief plus a draw 7 thats 14 1/1s and 14 cards in hand. also imho i think having just two skull clamps as the enablers is more than enough, if you really wanted bident i would suggest just as a one of to tinker for but i feel like skull clamp is your best bet, and personally i dont think purphoros, god of the forge would be to good in the deck , there are better things to tap out for with four mana. another card i would like to suggest is library of alexandria. to me the locust god seems to be a more grindy control type card and not so much a combo card, but i could be wrong about that, good luck on the deck :)

• @letseeker Dack is side board right now. I pulled out notion thief in a push away from Black to include Green. I do think Id add wheel, but what I like are the different win conditions so room is tight. Also if I dont have Notion Thief then Im weary of the everyone draws.

• @TheGuild979 so your wanting the deck to be red blue green?

• @TheGuild979 I think it makes sense to be weary of the draw sevens in this set up. With TLG being a bit of a glass jaw at4/4 it might not be the best idea to give the opponent 7 cards at a time. Some decks you'd be fine other decks you would just get destroyed. I think the way the deck is set up if you get going with the draw you have it's plenty to reach a critical mass on a well flowing turn.

• @POXEVERYTURN There is plenty of potential to whip out a giant swarm and slap it on the table but my thinking is more like yours. Especially if Purphurous is on the table when TLG hits the board. 6 tokens given that situation is game, which is a brainstorm and Jace, so it doesnt
    take much.

• @letseeker said in Am I crazy or does The Locust God (HOU) work?:

why not have the draw 7's ( timetwister wheel of fortune and maybe memory jar ) and also notion thief, it would work great with dack fayden and if you have notion thief plus a draw 7 thats 14 1/1s and 14 cards in hand. also imho i think having just two skull clamps as the enablers is more than enough, if you really wanted bident i would suggest just as a one of to tinker for but i feel like skull clamp is your best bet, and personally i dont think purphoros, god of the forge would be to good in the deck , there are better things to tap out for with four mana. another card i would like to suggest is library of alexandria. to me the locust god seems to be a more grindy control type card and not so much a combo card, but i could be wrong about that, good luck on the deck :)

I think the draw 7's are win-more with locust god. There are other cards like beck and sylvan library and dack that grind out the win without giving your opponent more answers.

• @Khahan with the draw sevens i meant along side notion thief as well, so as to not give your opponent cards, i wouldnt play just the draw sevens unless you have a way to not make it so symetrical.

• Administrators

@Khahan said in Am I crazy or does The Locust God (HOU) work?:

@letseeker said in Am I crazy or does The Locust God (HOU) work?:
    I think the draw 7's are win-more with locust god. There are other cards like beck and sylvan library and dack that grind out the win without giving your opponent more answers.

Sounds to me like you mean "win less" :D

• @letseeker said in Am I crazy or does The Locust God (HOU) work?:

@Khahan with the draw sevens i meant along side notion thief as well, so as to not give your opponent cards, i wouldnt play just the draw sevens unless you have a way to not make it so symetrical.

Even more so a "win more" situation except TLG is the win-more card in this case

• @letseeker It seems like needing the notion thief in order for those to not benefit both players is dangerous. I'd prefer focus on individual draws instead of alldraws.

• @POXEVERYTURN In my testing TLG hasn't been very tough to get out if you focus on him. The bigger issue is counters but I feel that the deck has a couple of different alternative win conditions.

• If you're moving into green anyway, does Oathing him out become an option or is it just cute?

Upkeep, trigger Oath. Cast Beck. Bin cards to Locust God, draw card on ETB and you're off to the races. Just remember to leave something in your library for the draw step.

edit: Beck is a sorcery, laaaame. Okay, so you need a cantrip in hand to go off. Seems way less interesting.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.