Ichthyan Taxonomy

• TMD Supporter

A flizzard! I also want to investigate why the average zombie isn't a zombie human, but there are zombie merfolk/goblins/etc.

• @The-Atog-Lord said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

Best of all, Naga are sometimes snakes and sometimes naga.

This is literally the worst thing ever. Naga should be snakes. Everyone reading this should immediately tab over to twitter (if they have it) and tweet mark rosewater that naga should be snakes. If you don't have twitter email him. If you don't have email go to wotc customer service and put in a complaint there.

• @walking.dude With Ixilan on the horizon perhaps all lizard beasts should be dinosaurs as well:
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[lizard]+[beast]

• @JonHammack If this were a Merfolk... ooo, the value with Merrow!

• @Brass-Man This is pretty much exactly why I don't play as much magic as I did a year ago. Thank you for finally calling out the Loxodon in the room.

• @The-Atog-Lord said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

Best of all, Naga are sometimes snakes and sometimes naga.

Please don't mess with snakes ... in french cards, 'snakes' and 'serpents' are both translated as 'serpent' and i saw so many (well at least one actually) people get desperate when they find out that their tribal serpent deck was just falling apart. ;)

• @albarkhane This is just begging for a format where rules interactions are determined differently based on what it says in the language printed on the card. Imagine all the weird price spikes of random, badly translated Portuguese cards from the mid-2000's. And certainly if we can agree on anything, it's that MTG needs more formats and more rules complications.

• And none of this really gets into the worst creature-type choice Wizards has made in years: All those stupid Gremlins should have been Atogs. People blame the decline in popularity of Magic on factors like terrible Standard decisions, poor card quality, and poor management of organized play. Those may be secondary factors, but I'm pretty sure the bulk of the blame lies on the shoulders of whichever person decided that Gremlins would be featured in Kaladesh over Atogs.

• I always confused Atogs with Tribbles.

• @Brass-Man said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

I know I'm not the first person to bring this up, but seriously. Why aren't Merfolk Creature – Fish?

Leonin? Cats.
    Loxodon? Elephant.
    Nezumi? Rat.

I think it's pretty well established that everyone thinks this a serious problem.

According to that logic shouldn't humans then be Creature - Primate? I think that is the great discrepancy - if you differentiate humans and apes/ monkeys then you have to differ between fish and merfolk as well.

• @Topical_Island
    Actually, my post was not very serious and i was kidding but still pointing at some very bad translations in foreign languages which leads to some confusion and errors for casual players who won't double check everything. (the exemple i gave did happen actually).

However, if a format like that would exist and produce a tier 1 deck based on some obscure and stupid tribe i buy for it. :)

• @albarkhane Firstly, I loved your post. Secondly, I'm willing to bet actual money that is was not less serious than mine - since that is impossible.

• TMD Supporter

Merfolk are fish if centaurs are horses. I do agree though that WotC is really messing up their nomenclature, Linnaeus would roll over in his grave if he saw that a group led by a mathematician thought they knew how to classify creatures. This is just the tip of the iceberg though, they insist on making "shiny" cards. Just like the merfolk, I am not a fish and am not enticed by your shinies. Remember when they made Chris Pikula a woman? Or when Bob Maher became Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg? For god's sake they printed trolls after Thrun. They need to be stopped, we need to secure our borders, and not just any borders, I mean pre-eighth borders.

• @Topical_Island my bad, i missread you.
    Well, since we agree that french tribal serpent deck can be a real threat for the meta, i would suggest we petition Wizard for them to publish more Mongoose since it is a real scandal that only three of them exist. I would also strongly advocate for a Suricate tribe so we could melt them both in the great Herpestes family. Every one knows that the egyptian mangoose (Herpestes ichneumon) is a great serpent fighter and now i have evidence enough that some old druid from Legends was actually a mongoose in hiding. I find it strange that Wizard never aknowledge that fact and suspect a serpent conspiracy there.

• @cutlex said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

Because Merfolk are a type of fish. You wouldn't label Leonin as mammals.

Hell no I wouldn't. Filthy Cat People.

• @tsoatt said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

For god's sake they printed trolls after Thrun.

This is magic's greatest lie.

• @garbageaggro said in Ichthyan Taxonomy:

A flizzard! I also want to investigate why the average zombie isn't a zombie human, but there are zombie merfolk/goblins/etc.

Similarly, Elspeth and a few cards make 'soldiers' with no 'species' type.

These have both always been explained to me that the zombie cards don't care what 'kind' of zombie they are, but the ones with 'zombie elf' type care that they are an elf (Glissa).

I think that's dumb. Grim-Grin should not be a human, but Mikaeus should.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.