Vintage Challenge 7/29/17

• TMD Supporter

@ChubbyRain

It wasn't really big blue. The artifact mana is basically useless in the deck because you go off with Frantic Search. And with Baral, all the draw 2s and draw 3s either generate mana or only cost a U. I only lost the match btw because I cast Will and forgot that my opponent had Helm of Obedience in play (forgot he gets to exile my Library) and then I just dropped because I didn't really want to play anymore.

Officially taking a hiatus.

• TMD Supporter

Thanks Matt.

Regarding your last bullet, think the Delver deck is worth keeping separate. If Mentor is restricted, it's conceivable that some of the Mentor pilots will switch to that. We will want to be able to track both that archetype and it's evolution through these B&R changes.

• My take on the winning list: it's interesting that he chose the exact configuration he did, and he was heavy on reanimation targets, but all of these cards are well-known options for Dredge. The list is not earth-shattering, but could prove an important refinement towards a more optimized list.

• @ajfirecracker said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

My take on the winning list: it's interesting that he chose the exact configuration he did, and he was heavy on reanimation targets, but all of these cards are well-known options for Dredge. The list is not earth-shattering, but could prove an important refinement towards a more optimized list.

Interesting is probably a reference to the 0 Serum Powders in the list.

• big drop off for mentor in this event. I think less people played mentor overall

• @BobbyVictory said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

big drop off for mentor in this event. I think less people played mentor overall

Definitely. Mentor was in 5 out of 39 decks, or 12.8% of the field. As always though, I caution against inferring too much from a single event.

• Administrators

@BobbyVictory even more than it looks. The meta breakdown shows 4 Mentor decks, but if you look at the decklists you'll see:
    1 Mentor/Pyromancer/Skullclamp
    1 Outcome Mentor
    1 Esper Mentor w/Night's Whisper
    1 Drain Mentor with Consecrated Sphinx, Chandra, multiple Fact or Fiction

If the outcome deck was classified as Outcome and not Mentor, then the remaining list is in the bottom 7 decks we don't have lists for

Literally no one played a traditional Jeskai Mentor list in the top 32, which was almost the entire field. The Pyromancer list was close, but still ran a lot of atypical cards. I'm unsure if this is an anomalous event or if it reflects changing deck-selection preferences among MTGO players.

• @ChubbyRain agreed.

• @Brass-Man I'm wondering if all the mentor shaming over the last couple weeks played a role in player's deck choices.

• @BobbyVictory was thinking exactly the same thing.

• I finished putting in the results from last week - Shawn Anthony (@desolutionist) did all of the data entry, I just had to put in the decklists from the Top 32 and proof it.

0_1501569798594_upload-a98ed0c2-e5d4-4cc2-829b-379f2cf3c82f

So it's interesting...Mentor was the most prevalent archetype last week, but had a pretty mediocre finish. Several of the players in this event played Mentor last week but switched archetypes this week and finished with better results. BryanFTW went 2-4 with Jeskai Mentor, switched to PO and finished second. Erik sensei went 2-4 with a "big" version of Mentor and finished 4-2 by cutting the Mentors and the rest of White. Maybe Mentor isn't as good as people thought after the restriction happened and are now transitioning away from it? Perhaps it was an anomaly and some of the best Mentor pilots weren't there? Time will tell.

On the flip side, Shops was a really good deck last week, too...

• TMD Supporter

PO is pretty disgusting honestly. I wouldn't want to play it because I don't to get stuck under Null Rod or beaten by inconsistent draws, but my PO opponents always seem to have 3 Mox and double outcome + snapcaster within their first 10 cards. So thats pretty good.

• TMD Supporter

It looks like the blue decks in the top 8 are still disrespecting Shops. It's no surprise to me that the deck is doing so well when the metagame is full of decks running <15 land, 0-1 basics, and 6+ dead cards in the main deck.

• @vaughnbros said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

@ajfirecracker said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

My take on the winning list: it's interesting that he chose the exact configuration he did, and he was heavy on reanimation targets, but all of these cards are well-known options for Dredge. The list is not earth-shattering, but could prove an important refinement towards a more optimized list.

Interesting is probably a reference to the 0 Serum Powders in the list.

Oh, I missed that entirely. Nice spot

• @desolutionist said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

, but my PO opponents always seem to have 3 Mox and double outcome + snapcaster within their first 10 cards. So thats pretty good.

The deck is fucking terrible without mana crypt or sol ring in it's opening 7.

The deck is pretty unbeatable iwth resolved Mana Crypt and Sol Ring.

It's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to force crypt if I know they're on Outcome.

• @BobbyVictory said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

@Brass-Man I'm wondering if all the mentor shaming over the last couple weeks played a role in player's deck choices.

I would guess its a meta-choice. Right or wrong, many feel that mentor falls too easily to shops. Many also feel that shops is on the rise and expect to see more of it. So I think a lot of people are just making a meta-call to beat what they expect to be the most represented deck.

This may very well be an anomaly (most likely is) or it could be the meta to starting to evolve where we see a spike of shops and then the meta shifts to decks that people feel can beat shops.

• Administrators

@Khahan said in Vintage Challenge 7/29/17:

@BobbyVictory said in [Vintage Challenge 7/29/17]
    I would guess its a meta-choice. Right or wrong, many feel that mentor falls too easily to shops.

That's definitely a possibility. Strangely, I feel pretty confident that Mentor is the best anti-shops deck right now. (Oath is possibly better, Oath is a deck I've never quite been able to understand).

Outside of mirrors, I don't feel like I've had a better shops matchup since before Lodestone was printed. If other Mentor players haven't been having the same experience, I don't know if that's just anecdotal luck on my part.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.