New Vintage-relevant printing ideas

• Party People,

This is all "just for fun," but then given the often vitriolic postings here (quite unfortunate and laborious to sift through, btw), why not add a bit of levity?

I'm curious with this wealth of Vintage expertise on TMD to see what cards you all might design/propose specifically with an aim towards opening up the metagame. My sense is that virtually everyone here is at least somewhat disappointed with the Mentor vs. Ravager Shops dominance, and much has been opined in terms of recent and future restrictions. I also know that most of us would favor new printings over restrictions/bannings in terms of regulating said metagame. Not that it probably "matters" in the grand scheme, but to at least inject a fun exercise here I wanted to ask what card/cards might you propose to diversify the format? You can consider the effects on Standard, Modern, etc. OR NOT, but what dynamic(s) would you find helpful in cultivating realistically competitive decks outside the more popular motifs? I'll throw out a couple of silly suggestions just to get the ball rolling:

Land
    T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. This mana may only be used to cast enchantment spells, and any spell cast with mana from this land cannot be countered.

Creature - Merfolk UU 2/1
    While ___ is in play each opponent cannot cast more than one spell each turn.

As MTG experts I would assume there are some extremely creative minds on this site. What strategies/themes intrigue you, and specifically what new card designs might you propose to make them more viable in Vintage? Green Stompy? Infect? Merfolk? Elves? Death & Taxes? Mill? Infinite Turns? Land Destruction? Landstill? Etc.?

• Urza's Straitjacket
    Artifact (3)
    {This} can not be countered. Indestructible. Players cannot pay life.

Alternate Reality
    Enchantment UU
    You may discard your hand to put {this} into play; effects that alter casting cost has no effect. Play this ability only as a sorcery.
    All other permanents gain phasing.

• @Chronatog That's what I'm talking about! Cheers!

• Cerebral Slip - 2U
    Instant
    You may pay 2 life rather than pay Cerebral Slip's mana cost.
    Counter target spell with converted mana cost 3.

• I like how everybody goes right for U and artifact.

mystical hate bear 1G
    Creature - Bear
    When this comes into play destroy target artifact or enchantment
    2/2

Elf Lich GB
    Creature - elf lich
    Elves you control get +1/+1. All other creatures get -1/-1

If we are opening up the meta I'd like to see some other colors get better representation.

• Mefistofele ' succub 1B
    Creature human
    "Chain of mefistofele text"
    2/1

For reduction blu base deck

Restriction mishra workshop for artifact

• @Khahan said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

I like how everybody goes right for U and artifact.

mystical hate bear 1G
    Creature - Bear
    2/2

It's going to be a while before power creep gets to invalidate Reclamation Sage.

• @hierarchnoble said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

@Khahan said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

I like how everybody goes right for U and artifact.

mystical hate bear 1G
    Creature - Bear
    2/2

It's going to be a while before power creep gets to invalidate Reclamation Sage.

I wasn't even aware of that card. The sad thing is, that 1 single mana makes all the difference in the world. Of course being in G doesn't help. But that's the problem.

• Monkey Sliver RG
    Whenever a sliver creature comes into play, each player sacrifices an artifact.

2/2
    After the hive consumed a pack of gorillas it started to really hate artifacts

Assertive Sliver UG
    This can't be countered.
    Sliver spells can't be countered.
    2/2
    *Eventualy the hive stopped taking no for an answer *

• @walking.dude said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

Monkey Sliver RG
    Whenever a sliver creature comes into play, each player sacrifices an artifact.

2/2
    After the hive consumed a pack of gorillas it started to really hate artifacts

Assertive Sliver UG
    This can't be countered.
    Sliver spells can't be countered.
    2/2
    *Eventualy the hive stopped taking no for an answer *

An updated Harmonic Sliver and Root Sliver definitely weren't touched on with the M14/M15 Slivers. With Spring 2018 being Dominaria I'm hopeful we'll get to see them (yet) again.

• TMD Supporter

@Chronatog said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

Alternate Reality
    Enchantment UU
    You may discard your hand to put {this} into play; effects that alter casting cost has no effect. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

This is a really fascinating card. Is it intended to affect both Spheres and alternate casting costs?

• Doom's Shadow: B
    Flash

When Doom's Shadow enters the battlefield you may sacrifice any number of permanents, you lose two life for each permanent sacrificed this way.

Doom's Shadow's power and toughness are each equal to the amount of life lossed this turn.

I mean Death's shadow needs a brother, he's a lonely shadow.

• @cutlex said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

@Chronatog said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

Alternate Reality
    Enchantment UU

This is a really fascinating card. Is it intended to affect both Spheres and alternate casting costs?

I poorly worded it. The intent is to be able to put this enchantment into play without casting it and avoid paying any sphere taxes. Perhaps, spheres do not affect "put into play", but who knows what other cards will be printed in the future so I added a clarification, just in case.

Total sphere effect elimination would be too strong. Phasing all other permanents is fun :).

• @Chronatog said in New Vintage-relevant printing ideas:

Total sphere effect elimination would be too strong. Phasing all other permanents is fun :).

You'd probably enjoy using Teferi's Realm. It has a similar effect to your card, and now that Tangle Wire isn't played as heavily it's much more effective.

• Ravage the Herd
    B1
    Sorcery

Destroy target creature and all creatures created by target creature.

• 0_1501862318460_1495820759836114.png image url)

• 0_1501862387518_1495819183946521.png

• MONO-BLACK REBORN!!!

• Invincible Counter Elf G
    Creature - elf
    This can't be countered
    Tap: add G to your mana pool
    1/1

• Leyline of the Land
    Enchantment
    GR
    If -this- is in your opening hand you may play it for free.

Players may not cast spells with converted mana cost greater than the number of lands they control.

No Pain No Gain
    1R
    Enchantment
    Players cannot gain Life.
    When any player taps a non basic land, they lose 1 life and take 1 damage.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.