True-Name Nemesis

• Why isn't this card a solid beater in a control deck? It seems to be simply because of Monastery Mentor, but i am not really sure if it was played before Mentor was printed.

It dodges basically all removal ever, pitches to force, 3 power, great with equips, kills/dodges Jace.

Mentor still fills similar roles, in regards to effective evasion to removal and power.

So it is ever worth playing? Worth playing if you aren't playing white?

• @Sovarius it saw quite a bit of play in fish I believe. I know Eric Froelich ran it in one of his fish decks with a lot of success. It does see play in that deck still I believe, that just isn't really part of the meta right now, or a very small part.

I do agree with you though it is a very good card.

• I think this card is probably a little under played. So I take your point. I do believe that it's at least perceived to be not good against the two dominant decks in the format. Against Mentor it's probably just worse than Mentor, and kinda begs the question - at 3cc why isn't that card slot just occupied by actual Mentor... against Shops, it can be somewhat hard to cast, and not fast enough to compete against Ballista and Ravager. It feels like Shops can often just ignore it, and attack past it to just throw all the modular counters on whatever doesn't get blocked.

• @Topical_Island said in True-Name Nemesis:

against Shops, it can be somewhat hard to cast, and not fast enough to compete against Ballista and Ravager. It feels like Shops can often just ignore it, and attack past it to just throw all the modular counters on whatever doesn't get blocked.

That's a big problem for this card, and another bonus Mentor has (bring blockers, sort of).

I guess, how acceptable is the card is non-white blue decks? There aren't many of course...

Giving serious thought to playing some for EW.

• I run a full playset of TNN in Merfolk, but obviously it fits in very well with its own tribe. It's uncounterable off of Cavern of Souls and is an excellent target for Phantasmal Image. The clock speeds up with lords pumping it as well. The problem I've found is that if Merfolk's mana denial strategy (wastelands/null rod) or pseudo-control aren't disruptive enough, it just gets outclassed by what the opponent is usually doing. You need to untap a few turns with it in play, which is sometimes a tall order. Still, it's one of my favorite cards in my favorite deck and often wins the game when resolved.

• TMD Supporter

@Sovarius

Edu Medrano won the last LCV thanks to some TNN :)

http://themanadrain.com/topic/1373/lcv-2017-july-25-players-barcelona-top16-decklists

Packed with a Noble or two he is a really powerful clock.

If you add some cheap countermagic to the mix you will get a full flavoured savage beating.

• i could be wrong but i dont think true name would be to good in a control style deck, yes it is an amazing card but it dosnt help with the plan to control the game, but in a fish style deck, it would be amazing, so it really depends on the actual deck your trying to slot it into.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.