Two Card Monte

• TMD Supporter

@john-cox

@tattoocek would you like to confirm or talk about that list?

• @mdkubiak

I could for sure be wrong about who played that list.
    The great thing about it was that a turn one oath was great against shops and delver. The defense grids were really good against delver and mentor and the helm + leyline was great against unfair decks. I swapped out the helms for serum powders and went all in on the oath plan. The deck had enough copies of cards that you weren't worried about exiling too much.
    It was a great deck and very consistent.

• TMD Supporter

@john-cox

I do remember Josh playing a Helm Oath deck. Can't say for sure if he created the list or not, but I swore he played one. Either way.

• I don't play this deck (I just bought into it online over the weekend), but I think this gets better post restrictions.

Mentor can't clock you as fast now and so you should have more time to assemble combo.

Although if null rod replaces thorn that hits the deck as incidental hate.

What do people think of 2CM in the new world?

• TMD Supporter

@walking-dude Shops would need to retooled for null rod to be a deckable card. Obviously, very possible with a more of a STAX build, but you need to move away from the ballista's and ravager cards or you're playing with fire.

Though, @Shaman-Ben and @JACO would be more equipped to answer their feelings on the meta.

My guess if you start seeing more null rods, you may need to main deck more hate or try to speed up.

• I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment. If I knew everyone was packing 4 null rods, I would still play it. As such, my opinion about its positions is at least a little biased, if not down right insane. I am not going to win many games playing safe and strategic magic. I am going to win by killing someone on turn one while they still have a null rod in hand. I am going to win by destroying null rod with ancient grudge. I am even going to win by playing a painters servant, naming blue, and then casting demonic consultation for the last remaining red elemental blast in my deck. If it is not in the first six cards, I will red blast the fuck out of that null rod and grindstone my fiendish opponent for bringing such an offensive little weapon to this battle for justice and the future of our delicate species.

• @shaman-ben said in Two Card Monte:

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment. If I knew everyone was packing 4 null rods, I would still play it. As such, my opinion about its positions is at least a little biased, if not down right insane. I am not going to win many games playing safe and strategic magic. I am going to win by killing someone on turn one while they still have a null rod in hand. I am going to win by destroying null rod with ancient grudge. I am even going to win by playing a painters servant, naming blue, and then casting demonic consultation for the last remaining red elemental blast in my deck. If it is not in the first six cards, I will red blast the fuck out of that null rod and grindstone my fiendish opponent for bringing such an offensive little weapon to this battle for justice and the future of our delicate species.

... every inch of planet Earth

• TMD Supporter

@shaman-ben said in Two Card Monte:

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment. If I knew everyone was packing 4 null rods, I would still play it. As such, my opinion about its positions is at least a little biased, if not down right insane. I am not going to win many games playing safe and strategic magic. I am going to win by killing someone on turn one while they still have a null rod in hand. I am going to win by destroying null rod with ancient grudge. I am even going to win by playing a painters servant, naming blue, and then casting demonic consultation for the last remaining red elemental blast in my deck. If it is not in the first six cards, I will red blast the fuck out of that null rod and grindstone my fiendish opponent for bringing such an offensive little weapon to this battle for justice and the future of our delicate species.

You leave me inspired, sir!

• @shaman-ben said in Two Card Monte:

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment.

I have this great mental image of you in a metal music video flying through space with your magic cards, screaming "I WILL PLAY TWO CARD MONTE ON THE FUCKING SUN"

• TMD Supporter

@thecravenone Personally it's @Shaman-Ben 's fault he converted me as a follower of Two Card Monte.

• TMD Supporter

Finally have a completed version of @Shaman-Ben's list. I'm hoping to one day upgrade Mana Vault, Wheel of Fortune, and Balance one day, but not necessary anytime soon.

Mainboard
    0_1505788804933_2CardMonte_Main.JPG

Sideboard
    0_1505788868860_2CardMonte_Side.JPG

• @mdkubiak This is my kind of deck.

• TMD Supporter

@shaman-ben You made me a believer. Still waiting on your primer for this thread. :)

• Anyone want to give some advice for this build I run?
    2 card monte 2 :

Maindeck (60)
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Demonic Consultation
    2 Mental Misstep
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Tinker
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    4 Grindstone
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Helm of Obedience
    1 Memory Jar
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Mishra's Workshop
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    3 Nature's Claim
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Balance
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

Shared via TopDecked MTG
    https://www.topdecked.me/decks/668509d8-6baa-49c2-923f-da83bd232032

• As Ben has said, Welder is questionable.

Is Gemstone Mine preferable to City of Brass? As Sean noted before, Chromatic Lantern might also be a good option if you're worried about getting enough colored mana.

Why Jar and Wheel but no Twister or Windfall?

I like a bot if I'm gonna play Tinker.

Why the Pyroblast/REB split?

• @thecravenone said in Two Card Monte:

As Ben has said, Welder is questionable.
    Is Gemstone Mine preferable to City of Brass?
    With Urborg it seems better, tangle wire is still relevant as well
    As Sean noted before, Chromatic Lantern might also be a good option if you're worried about getting enough colored mana.
    Why Jar and Wheel but no Twister or Windfall?
    I don't own a twister and I could test a windfall but what do I replace?
    I like a bot if I'm gonna play Tinker.
    Tinker is an extra tutor for combo pieces but I'm willing to listen to any suggestions.
    Why the Pyroblast/REB split?
    An old habit I've done for years with meddling mage etc

• Why doesn't the deck also run a 1 of Rest In Peace or Planar Void in the main. It's easier to cast, which makes it a better Tutor option if you already have helm of obedience.

• @gkraigher Planar Void won't work with helm. I would guess that's an issue.

• TMD Supporter

@gkraigher Unless he wants to skim down on Leyline of the Void, I would not recommend it. I'm not sure 5 of the combo piece is a good idea unless you see a ton of Dredge or decks that use the graveyard heavily in your meta. If that's the case, an argument could be made for it.

• @gkraigher goblin welder is the main reason you don't want to play RiP

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.