Two Card Monte

• TMD Supporter

@cutlex said in Two Card Monte:

alt text

I honestly cannot keep my eyes away from this .gif.

• TMD Supporter

@mdkubiak said in Two Card Monte:

@hierarchnoble I never said I spoke for him, only was saying what possibly why he said that just for conversation sake. In no way do I speak for @Jaco or anybody else for that matter. Only for myself. Yet you started to attack my credibility, because we disagreed on the terminology of "act like".

It may be best to not make conversation for conversation's sake then. With @JACO having a monetary stake in the Eldrazi with his book, combined with your profile reiterating multiple times how much you love Eldrazi, I found your post to be defending him for who he was more than what he was saying. It didn't read well and I choose to speak on behalf of literal interpretation of the rules and his post. I don't deal in maybes, I work with the objective information that I have available. I'm sorry if this came off wrong.

• TMD Supporter

@hierarchnoble It had zero to do with my feelings on Eldrazi or Jaco. I don't know Jaco at all, honestly. I would have done the same others in the same situation if I cared enough for the subject.

• TMD Supporter

@mdkubiak Since I knew zero about you up until this point I couldn't have known that. I hope we can still trade high fives at EW or something along those lines.

• @mdkubiak prolly just missed it honestly. i knew about the interaction too from the Tusk Talk podcast but I was most likely just caught up in the game. I would have had mana too because in that specific game i had roughly 10 mana at my disposal.

• TMD Supporter

@hierarchnoble No worries, it wouldn’t be fair to expect you to know me. Or let this minor interaction sour my opinion of you before I get to know you. Hopefully one day, I won’t be able to attend EW this year unfortunately.

Maybe a better phrase earlier would have been City of Traitors has a sacrifice component like Legendary does. But let’s drop that.

• TMD Supporter

@studderingdave Heh, no problem was just curious. I just figured it was good to point out for the interactiot in case you may have not known. Hell it didn't dawn on me immediately.

• @hierarchnoble said in Two Card Monte:

@jaco said in Two Card Monte:

Workshop is very hit or miss in the deck. I have only been playing 3 recently as I test out other things. You could test out a Mox-heavy build instead, with something like 1 Workshop, 1 City of Traitors, 2 Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, and 1-4 Mox Opal in those slots. I would probably not play more than 1 City of Traitors if you go that route, because the fact that it is legendary, doesn't allow you to continue to make land drops, and doesn't provide any colors, makes it tough to use and build with.

While this is very good advice, City of Traitors is not legendary. It just takes a very odd game to end up with two in play at the same time, usually involving Blood Moon.

Yes, it is not legendary, don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. The effect is such that you can't afford to draw more than 1 in the first couple of turns though.

• TMD Supporter

@hierarchnoble said in Two Card Monte:

Workshop is very hit or miss in the deck. I have only been playing 3 recently as I test out other things. You could test out a Mox-heavy build instead, with something like 1 Workshop, 1 City of Traitors, 2 Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, and 1-4 Mox Opal in those slots. I would probably not play more than 1 City of Traitors if you go that route, because the fact that it is legendary, doesn't allow you to continue to make land drops, and doesn't provide any colors, makes it tough to use and build with.

While this is very good advice, City of Traitors is not legendary. It just takes a very odd game to end up with two in play at the same time, usually involving Blood Moon.

Yes, it is not legendary, don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. The effect is such that you can't afford to draw more than 1 in the first couple of turns though.

Thank you for clearing that up before @hierarchnoble and I get into fisticuffs. Haha

• TMD Supporter

One thing I want to start doing is collecting sideboard cards for 2 Card Monte. The cards I'm looking at is:

Tormod's Crypts
    Hurkyl's Recall
    Rest In Peace

Right now I play @Shaman-Ben's list and I'm trying to think about cards that could be slotted in.

Ben, are planeswalkers any good in your list?

• TMD Supporter

Not an expert, but I feel I'm going to start tinkering with @Shaman-Ben's list. I'm undecided on what I'm going to do completely. The thing I find about the deck, it's not a negative, is I'm hesitant on going all in as much as this list appears to want to do. I think that's a bit against my play style, so I think I need to tweak it there. My win rate with the deck is not good in my limited experience, but I'm going to chalk that up due to variance and misplays (not taking anything away from my opponents - I've played some extremely good players). I think my number one misplay is somehow managing to forget to put down Leyline turn 0 on ocassion. That cost me a round yesterday (Not guaranteed, but way higher percentage).

What I found about this list and feel free to chime in Ben. I talked to him a bit about this. I noticed a few things.

I have a tendency to draw too many lands or not enough. I end up with a lot of dead hands, mulliganing to oblivion. Obviously, there is variance that probably has more to do with it, but something I noticed yesterday. I never saw a lot of the draw cards or the tutors yesterday, so I was out of luck a lot.

I also end up a good percentage of the time always being one turn too late. Like one mana short (or a couple) to activate one of the combos and getting killed on the swing back. I get that it will happen, but I think that may make me want to drop down to try 3 Workshops and see how that goes.

I also would to see a little more game against people turning creatures sideways. I got knocked around a bit with this yesterday and had no answers quite a few times. I'm not quite sure what I want to do about this (if anything), but I'm going to try to look into it.

• I built my list to play the way I play magic. If you ask me, I would tell you this deck is terrible. In fact, I always tell people this deck is terrible. It has served me well and continues to do so, and I will continue to play it. But if you are trying to tune a deck to consistently win at magic, there are probably much easier ways to do it. The pay off of this deck is that it can do powerful things with broken cards, but that does not change the fact that the core of the deck is 16 terrible cards that require specific synergy, that are easy to answer and stop, sometimes difficult to get into play, propped up by carving out the rest of the deck with a list of restricted cards, and then trying to glue it all together with the most awkward mana base the format has to offer. This deck is not for everyone. It is not always friendly to its pilot. It is not always forgiving to its mulligans. It is full of highs and lows. Some days I feel unstoppable, others I cannot win a game to save my life.

This is all fine by me. This all falls into how I enjoy casting magic cards. If this does not speak to you, if this leaves you frustrated or always a turn behind, its possible that you should try something else.

I just want to cast Demonic Consultation more times than anyone else at every event that I play.

• TMD Supporter

@shaman-ben I appreciate the input, but I would not call it 16 bad cards. Leyline is great, Painter is decent, and the other two... well, they are there. heh.

Though, I'm not sure how I should take you telling me I should possibly try something else when I was just noting things from my last play through. Maybe just a misunderstanding. Painter is my all time favorite artifact, of course I want to play it.

• @mdkubiak my statement was in general, not specific to your post. I encourage you to try things out in the deck. There is plenty of room. I have tried oath, dark depths, all sorts of weird stuff. Play with the mana. Try dark confidants. You definitely gotta find a way to make it work for you if you want to win.

But you also have to put your leylines in to play.

Thats probably the most important part of the deck.

• TMD Supporter

@shaman-ben My apologies, I misread your statement. That's my fault. Of course I want to win, but I just want to start playing a list that really works for me. :) I find the deck a lot of fun and want to continue to play it. Just a little frustrated with myself for being on some awful losing streaks with the deck.

Yeah... those damn Leylines. Heh I wish I could say I only did that once (though only once yesterday).

• TMD Supporter

One other note @Shaman-Ben. Demonic Consultation is an awesome card. Love it. :D

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.