@mdkubiak I didnt really do all that much. My build is customized to the way I like to jam magic, based on what was out there, cut into pieces, and stitched back together to resemble my likeness.

I love this deck. I love this thread.

I have no poetic words to offer, nor pictographs. Just hazardous technology, which the FAA never ceases to let go unmolested every time I travel through airport security.

I have played tons of different versions of 2 Card Monte over the years, including at the past couple Vintage Championships, and done pretty well with it in general. One of the issues I would run in to when piloting the deck was the fact that if your couple threats got countered, you would often just get outdrawn by the blue decks, or planeswalkers. This was an ongoing issue no matter what I tried. Because of this, I have played Dark Confidant in most versions I have played in tournaments (going back to 2011 even) , as another bomb to play on turn 1, and as another draw mechanism to pull even with the blue decks. I am not a fan of the Draw 7s in here, because if you can't muster the mana to cast both that and your kill condition(s), and activate them in the same turn, it will most often result in your own demise when your opponent untaps with mana in play (and a fresh full hand). I have sideboarded in Timetwister from to time, as another weapon against Dredge. Memory Jar floats in and out of my builds, and with the abundance of delve spells the past 2 years has been mostly out, but will probably make its way back in.

Unlike Ben, I still love Goblin Welder in this deck. Missteps abound, but Welder has immense synergy with your own Grindstones (Grind yourself, then Weld back in a relevant card, often for the win), and in most of my recent versions, with Dack Fayden and/or Bazaar of Baghdad. It also lets you play through decks packing tons of countermagic. I played something like this at Vintage Champs 2016:

I used to play multiple Ancient Grudges main, but found that Daretti proved much more beneficial at dealing with hate coming from different angles, and dealing with the Workshop and Eldrazi menace over the past year. Daretti is harder to cast, but you can definitely retool your manabase to accomplish whatever you want with this deck (hence my 3 Workshops, and multiple Urborgs currently). I have a love/hate relationship with Mox Opal (mostly hate), so it's sitting back on the shelf for now.

Over the years I have tried everything from Kuldotha Forgemaster, to Chromatic Lantern, to Thoughtseize, to Notion Thief, to Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (which is slow, but actually very interesting for the effects it provides, and problems it solves). I have tried versions utilizing lots of pitch counters (aka Pitch Monte). I have tried Oath of Druids variants (both main and sideboard). So there is definitely a lot of room for innovation and latitude in design, depending on what you're trying to combat in the metagame.

I think the next version I am going to build around will probably incorporate an angle of attack using Dark Depths. I have tested this before, but never found a variant I thought was consistent enough. But I think it's probably possible with enough testing and tuning to get a very competitive version. Now that Solemnity has been printed, I think this offers some real potential (especially as yet another tool against the most popular individual deck currently - Workshop Aggro).

last edited by JACO

@jaco

Do you feel that Dark Confidant is still worth it given the ubiquity of Walking Ballista?

@senor_bisquick said in Two Card Monte:

@jaco

Do you feel that Dark Confidant is still worth it given the ubiquity of Walking Ballista?

Dredge and Workshops have been the easiest matchups for this deck, including the current metagame. So I'm not really worried about Confidant dying to Ballista (as does Welder). This means they A) have to have Ballista in hand (or draw in to it immediately), and B) take a turn off of any other disruption they may have to deal with Confidant. I have tons of cards to help combat the Workshop matchup, as well as appropriate mana to power through Spheres, so I'm not going to sacrifice Confidant when Workshops only amount to 30-40% of the field, and Force of Will decks occupy 60%+. It's just too good everywhere else, and Confidant can easily be sideboarded out against Ballista (or Oath decks).

Also, regarding Confidant and average converted mana cost (ACMC), in the list above, the total casting cost of the main deck is 79, divided by 60 cards, equals an ACMC of 1.3167 (rounded).

last edited by JACO

I'm fairly new to 2 Card Monte (like, I played it for the first time less than a month ago). I only ever played against @Shaman-Ben's version of the deck.

One thing I've found interesting is the different builds that are out there. I honestly didn't know there was this much variation in the deck.

I started out with @JACO list from 2 years ago, and most of the changes I made initially were for budget reasons and I eventually evolved into the mess I have now because it suits the way I play magic, which is usually heavily inebriated or medicated. I still like to dabble with variants, and had a lot of fun with the list above. Black Daretti is a bad ass motherfucker. The best part about this deck is how many different ways you can play it, how many different things you can do with it, and in the end how awesome it is to exile your opponent's library.

#BurnLibrariesNotBooks

@shaman-ben it's because of Daretti that I had 5 Ensnaring Bridges in play once.

Does anyone know anything about the list that was running around a while ago with Oath of Druids? I really want to do a serum powder into Oath thing again.

Thats the list I think. I remember it being Josh Potucek who was playing it, but I think that was the event.

last edited by John Cox

@john-cox

@tattoocek would you like to confirm or talk about that list?

@mdkubiak

I could for sure be wrong about who played that list.
The great thing about it was that a turn one oath was great against shops and delver. The defense grids were really good against delver and mentor and the helm + leyline was great against unfair decks. I swapped out the helms for serum powders and went all in on the oath plan. The deck had enough copies of cards that you weren't worried about exiling too much.
It was a great deck and very consistent.

@john-cox

I do remember Josh playing a Helm Oath deck. Can't say for sure if he created the list or not, but I swore he played one. Either way.

I don't play this deck (I just bought into it online over the weekend), but I think this gets better post restrictions.

Mentor can't clock you as fast now and so you should have more time to assemble combo.

Although if null rod replaces thorn that hits the deck as incidental hate.

What do people think of 2CM in the new world?

@walking-dude Shops would need to retooled for null rod to be a deckable card. Obviously, very possible with a more of a STAX build, but you need to move away from the ballista's and ravager cards or you're playing with fire.

Though, @Shaman-Ben and @JACO would be more equipped to answer their feelings on the meta.

My guess if you start seeing more null rods, you may need to main deck more hate or try to speed up.

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment. If I knew everyone was packing 4 null rods, I would still play it. As such, my opinion about its positions is at least a little biased, if not down right insane. I am not going to win many games playing safe and strategic magic. I am going to win by killing someone on turn one while they still have a null rod in hand. I am going to win by destroying null rod with ancient grudge. I am even going to win by playing a painters servant, naming blue, and then casting demonic consultation for the last remaining red elemental blast in my deck. If it is not in the first six cards, I will red blast the fuck out of that null rod and grindstone my fiendish opponent for bringing such an offensive little weapon to this battle for justice and the future of our delicate species.

@shaman-ben said in Two Card Monte:

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment. If I knew everyone was packing 4 null rods, I would still play it. As such, my opinion about its positions is at least a little biased, if not down right insane. I am not going to win many games playing safe and strategic magic. I am going to win by killing someone on turn one while they still have a null rod in hand. I am going to win by destroying null rod with ancient grudge. I am even going to win by playing a painters servant, naming blue, and then casting demonic consultation for the last remaining red elemental blast in my deck. If it is not in the first six cards, I will red blast the fuck out of that null rod and grindstone my fiendish opponent for bringing such an offensive little weapon to this battle for justice and the future of our delicate species.

... every inch of planet Earth

You leave me inspired, sir!

I will play 2 card monte in any and every environment.

I have this great mental image of you in a metal music video flying through space with your magic cards, screaming "I WILL PLAY TWO CARD MONTE ON THE FUCKING SUN"

Views