@thecravenone Personally it's @Shaman-Ben 's fault he converted me as a follower of Two Card Monte.

Finally have a completed version of @Shaman-Ben's list. I'm hoping to one day upgrade Mana Vault, Wheel of Fortune, and Balance one day, but not necessary anytime soon.

Mainboard
0_1505788804933_2CardMonte_Main.JPG

Sideboard
0_1505788868860_2CardMonte_Side.JPG

@shaman-ben You made me a believer. Still waiting on your primer for this thread. 🙂

Anyone want to give some advice for this build I run?
2 card monte 2 :

Maindeck (60)
4 Goblin Welder
4 Painter's Servant
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Demonic Consultation
2 Mental Misstep
1 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Grindstone
1 Mana Vault
1 Sol Ring
4 Helm of Obedience
1 Memory Jar
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Gemstone Mine
4 Mana Confluence
4 Mishra's Workshop
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard (15)
2 Containment Priest
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
3 Nature's Claim
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Balance
2 Defense Grid
1 Trinisphere
4 Leyline of Sanctity

Shared via TopDecked MTG
https://www.topdecked.me/decks/668509d8-6baa-49c2-923f-da83bd232032

As Ben has said, Welder is questionable.

Is Gemstone Mine preferable to City of Brass? As Sean noted before, Chromatic Lantern might also be a good option if you're worried about getting enough colored mana.

Why Jar and Wheel but no Twister or Windfall?

I like a bot if I'm gonna play Tinker.

Why the Pyroblast/REB split?

@thecravenone said in Two Card Monte:

As Ben has said, Welder is questionable.
Is Gemstone Mine preferable to City of Brass?
With Urborg it seems better, tangle wire is still relevant as well
As Sean noted before, Chromatic Lantern might also be a good option if you're worried about getting enough colored mana.
Why Jar and Wheel but no Twister or Windfall?
I don't own a twister and I could test a windfall but what do I replace?
I like a bot if I'm gonna play Tinker.
Tinker is an extra tutor for combo pieces but I'm willing to listen to any suggestions.
Why the Pyroblast/REB split?
An old habit I've done for years with meddling mage etc

Why doesn't the deck also run a 1 of Rest In Peace or Planar Void in the main. It's easier to cast, which makes it a better Tutor option if you already have helm of obedience.

last edited by gkraigher

@gkraigher Planar Void won't work with helm. I would guess that's an issue.

last edited by hardy

@gkraigher Unless he wants to skim down on Leyline of the Void, I would not recommend it. I'm not sure 5 of the combo piece is a good idea unless you see a ton of Dredge or decks that use the graveyard heavily in your meta. If that's the case, an argument could be made for it.

@gkraigher goblin welder is the main reason you don't want to play RiP

@hardy oh man you are right. That's a shame that it's not a replacement effect. Ok well I guess my idea was bad.

@gkraigher You could perhaps run Yawgmoth's Will, though.

@hardy

A long time ago I saw a player who was unfamiliar with this interaction die by casting Will against a player with active helm. I don't think it was helm combo, just a fun of winconn in a control deck.

The keeper player was way ahead and had resolved recall and other big effects but had gotten one morphing countered early and had pitched the other to force of will. So he tutored for yawg will to set up a big turn that would have featured lotus, ancestral, timewalk and morphling out of the yard. Then when he cast will his opponent activated helm and the game was over. It was the first time I ever saw that interaction, pretty hilarious.

@walking-dude

That is hilarious. It brings to mind something, I think, @nedleeds once said

Magic is a zero-sum fun game.

i just top 8'ed for the first time on 10+ years with Ben's version of this deck. i didn't drop a game all day. Played into Shops, Outcome Tendrils and RUG.

@studderingdave Fuck dude, let's hear a tournament report!

I am missing 3 copies of Mishras Worshop. Is there a possible substitute for these lands?

@scrum I would probably try a second urborg and 2 city of traitors, but it definitely is far from optimal. If you change around the cards, or move closer to Jaco's planeswalker version, you could probably do it with 2 spire of industry and 1 extra urborg.

@thecravenone I have to be one of the worst people to ask for a tourney report since i didn't anticipate getting very far and I didn't take any notes, but i will go from memory to the best of my ability.

I tend to go to Top Deck Games for Vintage as my monthly event. Past that I might get some testing with a really good local who usually pilots something with Paradoxical Outcome in it but he keeps it spicy so i never really know what to pin him on. I have been "off" Vntage for the past few months, the combination of other games and too much FB saturation (BnR whining mostly) soured the format a bit for me so I opted to step away for a bit. I had Shops built still, taking a cue from Will Dayton and Nick DiJohn by adding more threats, chaning the deck from a prison deck to an aggro deck with prison elements. I also play BUG, but I was 2-3 months into my break and started to feel like I wanted to play something else. I don't have a huge collection, but I could piece together 2 Card Monte for under 100 bucks while proxying the Ancestral Recall and Timetwister. Naturally I opted for Ben's list because its what I have seen. I follow Ben since he plays Old School and I also enjoy that format. I asked him for his list and I built it.

I end up driving to TDG myself. I often pool down with Dan Miller, but he was staying for both events and I was not so I opted to drive. After arriving I greet the crowd, knowing most of them quite well (I feel the Northeast Vintage scene is very open and friendly, and we all seem to know each other). After greeting Dan Miller, Joe Brennan, Sullivan Brophy and a few others I write down my decklist and pay, readying myself for round one. we ended up with 23 players for the day, which was on the low side compared to other events i have been to at the shop, but it didnt matter to me.

Round one versus Miles Agag

Miles is one of the staff from TDG, and he gives me a playmat to use since I forgot mine. I know he often plays shops, so I prepare for that. Game one he wins the die roll and opens with Workshop, Mox Jet and an Arcbound Ravager, and passes. I open with Mana Confluence, Mox Ruby and Black Lotus. I then cast Painter's Servant naming Blue. On his turn he plays a wasteland, destroys my Confluence and plays a Revoker, naming Helm of Obedience, he swings with Ravager and passes. On my turn I play another Confluence and a Mana Crypt, cast Demonic Consultation for Grindstone, cast it and grind him for the game. After a bit of confusion on what he just faced we sideboard. I bring in the usual MUD hate, plus balance and Sphinx. He opts to go first and he ends up mulling for to 5 or 4, keeping a hand with lands but no threats. We durdle for a bit, my hand is mana heavy but light on action. He plays a few threats that I answer in time with my effects, and i am slowly losing life to my own Crypt. After some measur eof time I manage to tutor into Painter/Stone and kill him.

Round two versus Mike Gutner

Sorry if your first name isn't Mike, I am terrible with names. Mike is a guy I see often at these events and we always end up chatting. He often pilots something blue based and I saw he was playing with PO during my walking around time before the event. Our first game I put Leyline into play from my opener. He opens up with a fetchland and passes. I open with a Workshop and a Mox, casting a Grindstone and passing. We dance a bit for a few rounds, he is missing land drops while I Grind him each turn for value. I start playing Helms as well, drawing the wrong pieces and tons of sources but no tutors. Once turn he opts to go off with a Yawgwill, forgeting I have Leyline in play he fizzles out and passes. I end up drawing a tutor for the right piece and Grind him down. Game two was a mull to five for him that banked on a single Mox that I Claimed. He sat on no lands for the rest of the game as I slow grinded him with a combination of Stone and Helm, manually milling him out of the game.

Round three versus JP Kohler

This match was very quick. We chatted through most of it so my memory of it is poor. Game one I assembled Painter/Stone very quickly, I lose the Painter to a MM/RED/Fluster battle but topdeck another painter to kill. Game two was the same effect but I had Leyline in play and had a Helm countered and I played a second to kill. JP gave me some pointers and pitfalls of the deck, as he ran it to great success before. I opted to adhere to his advice, adding a tormod's crypt to my board, cutting the city.

Round four ID with Sam Canstrucci

We opted to ID, which is the first time I ever ID'd in an event

Round five ID with Sullivan Brophy

We also opted to ID, securing out spots in t8.

T8 - Everyone split.

The Top 8 had a lot of Shops, Dredge and BUG in it, so I feel if I had played the games I might have been able to pull some more wins but I was just psyched to get to where I was.

I hope this report was interesting and helpful. I will definitely take notes at EW.

Views