How many artifact mana sources can you play before Null/Stony wrecks you?

• If you are not playing Workshops or Tezzerator or Paradoxical, what is the most artifacts you are safe with and don't convince your opponent to bring them in (or leave them in when maindecked)?

Specifically i was thinking of playing a deck around lands with 4 Mox Diamond, but was probably not going to cut Lotus/Sol Ring/3 Moxes. Is 9 too reliant, or possibly fine with 4 Deathrites and the land recursion?

What if that number was 12-13, and those above 9 might be some Zuran Orb and Engineered Explosives?

• I would recommend not to build around hate cards unless your building for a specific meta. You may build a deck that beats null rod, but find your self in a meta with very few decks that that matters against.

• TMD Supporter

I think you want less than 10-11 if you're worried about Rod

• @john-cox said in How many artifact mana sources can you play before Null/Stony wrecks you?:

I would recommend not to build around hate cards unless your building for a specific meta. You may build a deck that beats null rod, but find your self in a meta with very few decks that that matters against.

As far as i'm concerned, the specific meta is any time that you play, your opponent could have them.

It looks as though Paradoxical has fallen out a little bit, and Shops have moved away from Fleetwheels and Ballistas, and towards Metamorph and Precursor. Scouring decklists, i see very little Stony Silence and Null Rod.

But everything warrants an analysis, it's all about the tiny edges and maximizing knowledge.

While you are totally correct, decks that can be blown by a single card must prepare for that. You don't not play Nature's Claim in Dredge or Chain of Vapor in Paradoxical.

@desolutionist said in How many artifact mana sources can you play before Null/Stony wrecks you?:

I think you want less than 10-11 if you're worried about Rod

Not super worried, John Cox raised a good point and i looked into more concrete data about these two and there is very little dampers in decks at the moment. But like i mentioned to him, it's worth playing a few less if it's too easy to be blown out, and have that tiny edge in addition to prepare a removal.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.