Mentor Control

• For those looking for more variants, there are Planeswalker heavy builds a la Joe Brennan's version from 2016 NA Champs, which verges on Superfriends in terms of play style: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/502539#paper

And there's Remora Mentor a la Kevin Cron (Cronestary Mentor): https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/315283#paper

As well as Paradoxical Mentor builds like this one: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/576761#paper

• TMD Supporter

I've been wondering about a Mentor variant that utilizes Baral to help position itself better within the metagame. Some Paradoxical Mentor lists have already adopted the tech, but is there a place for Baral in a more tempo oriented (Dack/Delve) build?

• Administrators

@john-cox said in Mentor Control:

One question, why is Force of Will in with the mana?

Oh, it's free and it counters spells they payed mana for so it's a tempo swing ....

(my mistake ... I fixed it :D )

• Administrators

@desolutionist said in Mentor Control:

I've been wondering about a Mentor variant that utilizes Baral to help position itself better within the metagame. Some Paradoxical Mentor lists have already adopted the tech, but is there a place for Baral in a more tempo oriented (Dack/Delve) build?

So I'm definitely not sure, I haven't tried it. My suspicion is that I don't want it. I have VERY few spells (4 total? 2 of which don't really count because they have Delve?) that have colorless in the cost, so it's not a cost reducer as much as it is a counter to Sphere of Resistance. Given that, I'd actually rather just have a removal spell ... another Fragmentize could kill Sphere, or kill a threat, and largely against shops lately I've been attacking their threats over their spheres. Baral is very cool, but I think the value proposition is different for this deck. .... not sure though!

• This post is deleted!

• @brass-man How have you been liking By Force in the board? I feel like it's a bit too costly with spheres out, and I didn't see many copies in the top 8 at NYSE (just two total IIRC).

• Administrators

@vintage_rage
    By Force has been great for me. I don't know yet whether I prefer 2 or 3 copies in the sideboard, but I'm very happy with the card ... but my approach to Shops seems to be a little different than some.

I wouldn't want to run By Force unless I was totally sure I had:

• a rock-solid manabase
    • enough cheap removal to survive long enough to develop my manabase

Postboard I'm running 19 lands (+5 artifacts) and 7 one-drop removal spells, which has been good for me. Typically I'm able to play a one-for-one By Force early, and get bigger value out of it in the late game.

I think if I were not already in a position to do that, I would run more lands or more 1-drop removal instead of By Force.

• Administrators

Monastary Mentor was restricted today, obviously requiring some pending edits to this topic. Removing from Decks-to-Beat for now.

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS IN THIS THREAD WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE WITH THAT DECISION

Discussion about how this archetype will adapt given the changes is completely welcome.

• To me the big question is, if you can't run enough mentors to be able to reliably find one quickly with velocity/ cantrips do you go with an inferior mentor (like pyromancer) or do you move away from velocity into an actual draw engine?

I think that's likely the big metagame defining question for blue.

Leading candidates for draw engine are paradox or gifts both of which have proven shells that have put up results. Remora is a slightly outside the box option that's allready been used some. As is standstill. And maybe something retro like intuition AK or FoF will come back, though I doubt it.

• I wonder whether this will cause a fork from URW to URW and UBW. Red will continue to lean on the greatest thief in the multiverse, together with pyro. Black will move towards tutors and tendrils. Tinker is likely to re-emerge too.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.