Changelog 8/06/2017 - Tag overhaul, Archetype-threads added to Vintage Strategy

• Administrators

One of the top two priorities of TMD for me is providing a place where new players can learn about the format. One thing TMD did not do well before was clearly direct new users to threads that are important, rather than just recent.

"Unread" Page

Minor change, here, I replaced the little-used drop down menus on the "Unread Topics" page with a "Clear Selected" and "Clear All" button. Should save you some clicking and make the UI cleaner on Mobile.

Tag overhual

Tags are now being used in a more structured way. Some tags will apply specific behavior to their topics, which will let users navigate the site in new ways. While users could also filter by selecting a tag, I added logic that lets me style specifically tagged pages to be styled differently, and grouped into their own subcategories

Archetype Threads

Major vintage archetypes are going to be given their own topic. The top-level post of that topic will be a light, intro-level explanation of the deck, and the content will be a catch-all "megathread", like used on MtgTheSource.

New topics relating to that archetype can still be made outside of the main thread, if desired (e.g. tournament reports, variant builds). Every archetype thread will have a corresponding metadata tag (e.g. mentor). Adding that tag will add a navigation banner to the top of your post which will allow you quickly see other threads about the same deck. The archetype-specific tags are public and can be used by anyone in any thread they think is appropriate

Archetype is a reserved tag, and shouldn't be added to threads that haven't been approved (ask for approval in TheManaDrain Metadiscussion)

Decks to Beat

Deckst to Beat are a subset of Archetype threads,

Decks to Beat is a reserved tag, and shouldn't be added to threads that haven't been approved (ask for approval in TheManaDrain Metadiscussion)

Deck Techs

Deck Tech threads are higher quality posts intended to teach someone about a particular list. A top-level filter on the strategy page will allow new players to quickly see all Deck Tech threads.

unlike Archetype/Deck to Beat, Deck Tech is a public tag and you're encouraged to use it when appropriate.

As Always ...

If you notice any bugs or strange behavior please let me know! If you find the change unhelpful or difficult to use, please let me know! (though a reminder, the primary audience for this change is new players)

This thread (the one you're reading now), or a new thread in the Metadiscussion board, is the correct place to ask questions about the new system, which tags to use, which threads deserve tags and which decks deserve to be a Deck to Beat.

Discussion in the Strategy board should stick to ... you know ... strategy.

A more complete description in a new sticky here: http://themanadrain.com/topic/1398/

• Administrators

Note that the existing 3 Decks to Beat / Archetypes are not in any way intended to be the only three. I wanted to get the feature out the door and see people interact with it before investing too much time in writing up the primers.

I plan on adding more over time, but if you're interested in helping out, let me know. I have very specific intentions and requirements for the Archetype threads, so expect some heavy editing and nitpicking.

I'm currently planning on adding the following Archetype threads:

• Dredge
    • Oath
    • Eldrazi
    • BUG (which I'm leaning toward naming 'Deathrite Midrange')
    • Landstill
    • Storm

• love the changes, great stuff!

• TMD Supporter

Thanks for all the hard work, @Brass-Man. The changes look good. I'm optimistically looking forward to a TMD section without B&R arguments.

• BUG is probably more aptly called Team Leovold on MTGGoldfish. Deathrite sometimes gets played in Hatebears (or Fish, or Junk, another Archetype with some punch). Also, Deathrite Shaman just strikes me as not good enough usually, and if it weren't for Leovold in the deck, it's hard to justify DRS.

• Looks great!

• @brass-man said in Changelog 8/06/2017 - Tag overhaul, Archetype-threads added to Vintage Strategy:

I plan on adding more over time, but if you're interested in helping out, let me know. I have very specific intentions and requirements for the Archetype threads, so expect some heavy editing and nitpicking.

I'm currently planning on adding the following Archetype threads:

• Dredge
    • Oath
    • Eldrazi
    • BUG (which I'm leaning toward naming 'Deathrite Midrange')
    • Landstill
    • Storm

I've already begun work on Oath!

Any nitpicking on the 2CM Primer I posted last week?

• Administrators

@thecravenone Nope! the 2CM primer was awesome.

I'm hoping to make a clear distinction between "archetype" threads and "deck tech" threads, your topic was a great example of the latter.

I want to give people leeway to teach players a deck the way they want - it's hard to dictate format in vintage when what matters varies so much for different decks ... so I'm leaving that up to the experts (you).

The "Archetype" topics are the ones I want to keep a tight leash on, so that new users can reliably expect the same experience from each of them. Not every deck type will have one of these threads. 2CM is just on the cusp, I think. (though I'm certainly open to debate on that)

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.