Standarized Tournament Annoucement Format

• TMD Supporter

I mentioned this in previous posts, but feel it is especially important in the Northeast meta (as some of us could drive to five states in less than 1-2 hours). A standardized format so that all Tourney Announcements look the same. For instance:

4/12 - Lancaster, PA (Eastern PA) - MVP Sports

I like the idea of a second markation for location, as states like NY or PA (or CA and Texas) might have small town gamestores, but nobody knows if they are close or 6 hours away.

• Would certainly make it easier for me to grab events and make sure they end up on the Calendar

• Administrators

I definitely want to make a sophisticated solution for this soon (an automated tournament posting/calendar updating function), but for now I'm just going to edit the crap out of some thread titles

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man Or even a 4-5 field form that they have to fill out to have it post?

• Administrators

@joshuabrooks yeah, that's the ultimate plan, I want a form to fill out that will easily format the post, and also auto-update a google calendar at the same time (which we'll post on the site)

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man Great work! Great rollout!

• Administrators

yeah, in the early days I expect to just fix a bunch of stuff manually :D once there's a whole board full of tournaments formatted the exact same way, hopefully people just pick up on it

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man said:

@joshuabrooks yeah, that's the ultimate plan, I want a form to fill out that will easily format the post, and also auto-update a google calendar at the same time (which we'll post on the site)

And probably getting too far ahead of ourselves, but maybe a Zip code/map feature when they enter the tournament, and then you could enter "tournaments near me." Just a thought for future. Great job!

• This is all functionality I'm working on for the Calendar App, so perhaps I should get on solving for events at the very least so the platform is useable while I figure out how to track players and their preferences for events

• Administrators

@darkr3x Calendar App???? DO GO ON

• My goal is to have an app that

• A player can use to track events they have attended and plan to attend
    • Will suggest other events to that player if they match their preferences(format/payout/distance/etc.).
    • Make other players in the area aware of those events, also on preference
    • Will allow TOs to easily promote events

The goal is to have a truly community cultivated calendar of events, such that you could go to another city and easily find out what store does drafts that evening or know before traveling if something like a PPTQ has been rescheduled since that information isn't updated on Wizard's site. I'm still working on the DB Schema, and probably should just focus on translating what I do now in Sheets into a Database so at least I'm not maintaining redundant data and can work on functionality while not losing the work I'm already invested in.

• @joshuabrooks said:

For instance:

I like the idea of a second markation for location, as states like NY or PA (or CA and Texas) might have small town gamestores, but nobody knows if they are close or 6 hours away.

I think I prefer having the location first. It put things in order of importance for me. For example, if I see a tournament thread title that starts with Bejing, CN, I know that I'm not likely to be going to that tournament regardless of the date.

I don't think that the second bit for locations is really necessary. If anywhere in the title is possibly in driving distance, I'm going to look up how far it is anyway.

My preferred format would be something like this:

• [USA-CA Los Angeles | 4/2/2016] Vintage for power at Sam's Games]
    • [Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas | 9/4 - 9/6 ] Vintage Side Events at GPDFW]

It might also be a good idea to specify whether proxies are allowed directly in the title. EG:

• [USA-CA Los Angeles | 4/2/2016 | 15 Proxy] Vintage for power at Sam's Games]
    • [Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas | 9/4 - 9/6 | SANCTIONED!] Vintage Side Events at GPDFW]

• TMD Supporter

@thecravenone said:

@joshuabrooks said:

For instance:

I think I prefer having the location first. It put things in order of importance for me. For example, if I see a tournament thread title that starts with Bejing, CN, I know that I'm not likely to be going to that tournament regardless of the date.

I don't think that the second bit for locations is really necessary. If anywhere in the title is possibly in driving distance, I'm going to look up how far it is anyway.

My preferred format would be something like this:

• [USA-CA Los Angeles | 4/2/2016] Vintage for power at Sam's Games]
    • [Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas | 9/4 - 9/6 ] Vintage Side Events at GPDFW]

It might also be a good idea to specify whether proxies are allowed directly in the title. EG:

• [USA-CA Los Angeles | 4/2/2016 | 15 Proxy] Vintage for power at Sam's Games]
    • [Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas | 9/4 - 9/6 | SANCTIONED!] Vintage Side Events at GPDFW]

I agree that a secondary location is extra info, but if you read through the tourney listings (at least in the Northeast, the cities are never as well known as LA or Fort Worth. It's mostly small town comic shops that could be 5 hours away). That said, not a huge point. Just something that I notice being an east coaster quite a bit.

• Administrators

I hope to solve some of this by aggressively tagging tournament threads by region - that way you can filter on location - but still this is all a stopgap until you can search by distance

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man said:

I hope to solve some of this by aggressively tagging tournament threads by region - that way you can filter on location - but still this is all a stopgap until you can search by distance

I mean that would be an absolute dream situation!!

[121mi away - June 7 - Newark, NJ - Vintage - 15 Playtest]

Not sure how you do distance, other than entering a zip or having it tied to your profile (as I am sure most TMD'ers probably don't change their physical location that often, as long as there is a workaround for those that do).

• Administrators

yeah, that sort of thing is a long term goal, but I think it's a ways off

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.