Abrupt Decay vs Abrade (Decklist Included)

• @letseeker No worries, I like your style. Brain-Geezer would love to see some play like the old days. I know that Legacy high tide uses Blue Sun's Zenith in that role now, if you're interested. But I've never played it.

• @topical_island This is a paper event, so Salvagers combo is very doable. The only thing I'm afraid of is hitting GB when I want Salvagers and Salvagers when I want GB. Also, the Salvagers makes me slightly more vulnerable to Null Rod.

As for the original question (Abrupt Decay vs Abrade), you have convinced me that Abrupt Decay is the superior card.

@letseeker said in Abrupt Decay vs Abrade (Decklist Included):

but the uncounterable on abrupt decay is a huge reason to play it over abrade, also looking at the deck it seems like red is a very light splash while green and black are more prominent, so it seems like you are more likely to have mana to cast decay, so imho i would say decay would be the better of the two.

This made alot of sense.

• @xxhazardxx I can say I have played over 100 matches with an Oath deck running Salvagers... (probably more in the neighborhood of 2-3 hundred?) Annnndddd... I honestly have no idea if it will cause you to win more games. I mean, I run it. But there is no way I can calc it out for your build because it's way way to complicated right?

We probably both know the pros and cons. You can hardcast your victory with Salvagers in deck, less possible without... Its worse to Null Rod, which already hurts your build a lot I'd imagine. And I wish I could tell you that I never lose by Oathing into the wrong fella. But of course that happens. I also win, using a totally different style build, by casting the Salvagers and going off... so... that's what I can tell you. Ummmm... Salvagers is a card that they printed one time.

Honestly, this is a terrible reason to do anything in cards, but if it would emotionally hurt too much to lose by hitting the wrong dude. Don't play it. That shit is real.

Best of luck to you man. Happy to see you playing Oath.

• I mean, I'm gonna do it (run Salvagers). This deck is already trying to do so many things... why not add another threat?

I like the style of of throwing bomb after bomb... Haymaker after haymaker... This is just one more way to win out of no where and it's castable!

(Although, I did hardcast a GB against a Containment Priest a while ago and my opponent was completely unprepared for GB to actually hit the field. )

• @xxhazardxx Haha... bless you Sir. I love your style. I hope you get in there, draw super hot and rip it up.

• @xxhazardxx if you would like, i used to play oath that was more combo orientated, i could link the deck if you want although if your already comfortable with your deck the way it is now i wouldnt make to many changes till after et.

• @letseeker said in Abrupt Decay vs Abrade (Decklist Included):

@xxhazardxx if you would like, i used to play oath that was more combo orientated, i could link the deck if you want although if your already comfortable with your deck the way it is now i wouldnt make to many changes till after et.

Do you feel like discussing your thoughts on the differences?

• @topical_island said in Abrupt Decay vs Abrade (Decklist Included):

@xxhazardxx Haha... bless you Sir. I love your style. I hope you get in there, draw super hot and rip it up.

So, I was falling asleep last night thinking of the deck and I had two ideas... first, why not just try Salvagers over Griselbrand entirely.

Then the second thought came, how committed am I to the Oath plan at that point. Salvagers hardly needs to be cheated into play... So what about abandoning the Oath plan, and just playing 5cBomberman?

I want to keep the Burning Wishes and Storm option (whih is why I want to stay 5c and not the typical Esper build.

Here's a thought:

4 Forbidden Orchard -> 1 Scalding Tarn, 1 Tropical, 1 Volcanic, 1 Tundra
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Library of Alexandria

1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Lotus Petal

4 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Mental Misstep

4 Oath of Druids -> 4 Salvagers (is four needed? Maybe two Salvagers, 2 Mana Drain?)
    3 Griselbrand -> 1 LED, 1 Aether Spellbomb, 1 Tinker
    3 Burning Wish

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Hurkyl’s Recall
    1 Moat

2 Paradoxical Outcome
    1 Ponder
    1 Time Walk
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1Toxic Deluge
    1 Balance
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Yawgomoth’s Will
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Ancient Grudge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

Thoughts? Am I just going off the deep end now?

• @xxhazardxx

Ok: Here's some goodies for you - http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9781&d=256355&f=VI

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/670484#paper

And I know some dude in Australia has a list that includes the following cards: Monastery Mentor, Paradoxical Outcome, Auriok Salvagers... But I haven't been able to find it.

Additionally, here is a dude named Kev playing a bomberman on Modo... super loose play btw... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8TlIxAtkHc

Something else I might mention, is that if you do chose to play a Bomberman Oath build with Paradoxical, I suggest running EE and Top, since they are great with Paradoxical (Top is an extra card draw with outcome), and together with the Bomberman going off, they draw your whole deck.

• the main differences is that i played recoup to flashback time twister as my graveyard shuffle effect, and i played sun titan and vault key and finally i played tinker into sphinx of the steel wind and memory jar

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.