[C17] Teferi's Protection

• TMD Supporter

Teferi's Protection - 2W
    Instant - Rare
    Until your next turn, your life total can't change and you have protection from everything. All permanents you control phase out. (While they are phased out, they're treated as though they don't exist. They phase in before you untap during your untap step.)
    Exile Teferi's Protection.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow at uniquely-worded effects. It has many different marginal uses, including acting as a Fog effect, a Gilded Light effect, and as an odd Counterspell for targeted and global removal. It has the color requirements that make it castable in Mentor and White Eldrazi, as well as the many Fish variants that run white. It also plays combo with Balance, Balancing Act, and Restore Balance. Whether it's a deck's backbone, simple utility, or unplayable, it's worth throwing it into the TMD den of wolves.

• It can cheat in Phyrexian Dreadnought, and be abused with Ad Nauseam.

• First of all I just think it's awesome they're printing a card with phasing on it again!
    I do think it's an interesting card but would definitely benefit from split second, if you plan on using it for the change of life factor or the protection it seems like Angel's Grace would still have an edge? It's cheaper with split second and still saves you, it also says you just can't lose the game this turn, even protection from everything could still mean you lose the game and it doesn't have to affect your life total.
    As mentioned above it seems cool to have some fun shenanigans with Ad Nauseum, but for 8 mana? Seems really expensive just to draw your entire deck when you can already do that with phyrexian unlife.
    I think this card could definitely have some interesting plays but the phasing part is probabaly where it's at. Otherwise just play Angel's Grace for cheaper and get almost the same desired effect.

• I think this has changed a couple times since Phasing was introduced so I am not sure - do permanents that are phasing in/out trigger comes into play/leaves play abilities?

• TMD Supporter

@themonadnomad said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

I think this has changed a couple times since Phasing was introduced so I am not sure - do permanents that are phasing in/out trigger comes into play/leaves play abilities?

The current rule is that they trigger neither. The most recent prior was that they triggered leaves play, but that was quite some time ago. They specifically used phasing over temporary exile so that comes into play/leaves play abilities couldn't be abused.

• Does this prevent us from paying life for things?

• TMD Supporter

@topical_island said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Does this prevent us from paying life for things?

Yes, it prevents life payment.

• @hierarchnoble huh... not sure how bad that is...

• @hierarchnoble this might be a stupid question but how would this work with an ability on the stack? Like if I necro for 4 but then it phases out I'm assuming the necro ability never triggers? I know that it wouldn't work anyway because you can't pay life but assuming it just phased out would its ability never trigger?

• @topical_island it's an interesting variable but it seems if you're playing this you probably aren't concerned with paying life that turn, seems more like you're playing it at a desperate time to try and save yourself for a turn especially with everything on board phased out it would be hard to have any ability to pay life into.

• @poxeveryturn Right, but if it isn't also part of some sort of combo that wins you the game, I doubt it's even in the deck to begin with?

• TMD Supporter

@topical_island said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

@hierarchnoble huh... not sure how bad that is...

It's certainly I-Can't-Use-Force-of-Will bad.

@poxeveryturn said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

@hierarchnoble this might be a stupid question but how would this work with an ability on the stack? Like if I necro for 4 but then it phases out I'm assuming the necro ability never triggers? I know that it wouldn't work anyway because you can't pay life but assuming it just phased out would its ability never trigger?

Triggers aren't dependent on permanents remaining in play unless otherwise stated. If your Eternal Witness gets Lightning Bolted in response to its trigger you still return that card you targeted. If you activated Necropotence four times you still get your four cards, as delayed triggers are still triggers. However, since Necropotence isn't is phased out it won't exile cards headed to your graveyard due to discard.

• @topical_island that's true. Just feel like there are cheaper ways to do it that already exist without the drawbacks this card seems to have. But it does provide another option that's for sure

• Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

• @poxeveryturn For sure. I'm just wondering if this opens up some other combo that wasn't there before. Someone mentioned Ad Nauseam. Seems pretty expensive, but certainly game if you get it off. Of course, now if you resolve the Protection you can't FoW to protect the Ad...

Spoils of the Vault springs to mind... amazingly not restricted these days.

• TMD Supporter

@serracollector said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

Nothing resets. The cards never change zones to cause any resets, they just don't exist when phased out.

• Administrators

@serracollector said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

No such luck (unluck?) Phasing is very explicitly not exiling and works differently. The card never changes zones or changes control, counters aren't altered, equipment and auras stay attached

• @topical_island right but like I mentioned both of the combos already exist with phyrexian unlife and you can fow or other counter to protect your AD or spoils. I guess the upside here is that your life literally won't change whereas with angels grace or unlife you'd be at one or zero respectively. But that doesn't matter because you are winning that turn.

I'm trying to think of ways that it would allow for a combo that the others wouldn't. Maybe this is where the protection from everything comes in, which I remember being confused about when Progenitus was printed. Or if you just want to blow up the board and save all your stuff because it's phased out? But even that combo would cost at least 7 if you don't use balance and doesn't win you the game. Have to think about the possibilities some more.

On another note I think spoils is still unrestricted because it's too unpredictable. It's really easy to kill yourself and just as easy to deck yourself. Even in this case, say you spoils for a restricted card, you could deck yourself trying to find it and everything gets removed from the game so no shuffle effects even go off. Let alone trying to do that 4 times. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't seem good enough to restrict.

• @poxeveryturn So sure... both of those combos already existed... basically. Though the details are different.

Also, this card does a lot of other things that those cards don't though... and I don't think we can difinitively say both combos, like there are 2 and only 2. I mean. I'm not sure there aren't other combos with this card out there... granted, I'm terrible at this stuff. But still, there are a lot of cards, ya know?

• Best use I can think of for it outside of combo enabling is that its an instant speed 3-mana time walk against other combo decks. Is that really so bad? I guess the biggest problem with that is (at least in my meta) combo decks are pretty close to dead.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.