[C17] Teferi's Protection

• @topical_island that's true. Just feel like there are cheaper ways to do it that already exist without the drawbacks this card seems to have. But it does provide another option that's for sure

• Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

• @poxeveryturn For sure. I'm just wondering if this opens up some other combo that wasn't there before. Someone mentioned Ad Nauseam. Seems pretty expensive, but certainly game if you get it off. Of course, now if you resolve the Protection you can't FoW to protect the Ad...

Spoils of the Vault springs to mind... amazingly not restricted these days.

• TMD Supporter

@serracollector said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

Nothing resets. The cards never change zones to cause any resets, they just don't exist when phased out.

• Administrators

@serracollector said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Lets you reset planeswalkers, right? Do stolen cards return to controller when they phase in? Say a stolen artifact off Dack?

No such luck (unluck?) Phasing is very explicitly not exiling and works differently. The card never changes zones or changes control, counters aren't altered, equipment and auras stay attached

• @topical_island right but like I mentioned both of the combos already exist with phyrexian unlife and you can fow or other counter to protect your AD or spoils. I guess the upside here is that your life literally won't change whereas with angels grace or unlife you'd be at one or zero respectively. But that doesn't matter because you are winning that turn.

I'm trying to think of ways that it would allow for a combo that the others wouldn't. Maybe this is where the protection from everything comes in, which I remember being confused about when Progenitus was printed. Or if you just want to blow up the board and save all your stuff because it's phased out? But even that combo would cost at least 7 if you don't use balance and doesn't win you the game. Have to think about the possibilities some more.

On another note I think spoils is still unrestricted because it's too unpredictable. It's really easy to kill yourself and just as easy to deck yourself. Even in this case, say you spoils for a restricted card, you could deck yourself trying to find it and everything gets removed from the game so no shuffle effects even go off. Let alone trying to do that 4 times. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't seem good enough to restrict.

• @poxeveryturn So sure... both of those combos already existed... basically. Though the details are different.

Also, this card does a lot of other things that those cards don't though... and I don't think we can difinitively say both combos, like there are 2 and only 2. I mean. I'm not sure there aren't other combos with this card out there... granted, I'm terrible at this stuff. But still, there are a lot of cards, ya know?

• Best use I can think of for it outside of combo enabling is that its an instant speed 3-mana time walk against other combo decks. Is that really so bad? I guess the biggest problem with that is (at least in my meta) combo decks are pretty close to dead.

• @topical_island I mean you could technically combo this with Chronatog and eat all of your own turns and then hope that they can't remove chronatog before they deck themselves? It is technically a combo and pretty funny but otherwise not very good.
    I think you are right though there is definitely other uses and like @Khahan stated it could be good just to use and get a time walk out of it, certainly not bad.

• Its versatility is pretty insane, and makes it hard for me to think this doesn't see at least some play.

• @poxeveryturn Lethal Vapors.

During opponents turn, activate 1000 times and hold priority. Cast Teferi. Opp tries to do the same. But ho ho. We're in a fragmented loops. And activate player loses. So you get to dump all your turns.

Then you lose to Force of Will but hey

• @maximumcdawg Love it! Screw it dude, let's just run a bunch of discard. This is totally gonna work.

• @topical_island said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

@maximumcdawg Love it! Screw it dude, let's just run a bunch of discard. This is totally gonna work.

I'm game, but remember the opponent can just eat the time walk during YOUR turn to prevent you from getting that far. And, indeed, they HAVE to if you are presenting a credible threat of comboing off and they can't counter. So, we're really talking about a 2BB Time Walk once the opponent figures out what is going on. I think 2BB is actually a fair cost for Time Walk... and thats not a good thing.

Unless you add like Grand Abolisher to the mix but now we're really in Magical Christmas Land.

• @maximumcdawg Clearly we need to be running Leyline of Anticipation here... are we on the edge of combining Charbelcher and Vapors combo? How can the answer be anything but yes?

• Just as an add on, this could be really fun(?) with Balance. This card has really the potential to be an enabler for many. Armageddon and Wrath of God and so on. Not that the cmc with those were playable, but with Balance you could cast both in a row.

• How does balance deal with phasing?

• I'm just ecstatic how this card has vintage players talking about phasing :D

• @maximumcdawg That is why you run a mono-white control with Abeyance, Orim's Chant, Silence, and Grand Abolisher, etc.

• TMD Supporter

@typeonestorm said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

Just as an add on, this could be really fun(?) with Balance. This card has really the potential to be an enabler for many. Armageddon and Wrath of God and so on. Not that the cmc with those were playable, but with Balance you could cast both in a row.

@maximumcdawg said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

How does balance deal with phasing?

I mentioned it in my initial post because it does exactly what you want it to.

• This post is deleted!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.