[C17] Teferi's Protection

• This post is deleted!

• TMD Supporter

Wizards has posted the Commander 2017 Release Notes. With Teferi's Response showcasing three rules-intensive game actions, and the list of answers itself being quite lengthy, I decided to repost it below:

The following notes focus on the "protection from" keyword:
    • If a player has protection from everything, it means three things: ◦ All damage that would be dealt to that player is prevented.
    • Auras can not be attached to that player.
    • That player can not be the target of spells or abilities.
    • Nothing other than the specified events are prevented or illegal. An effect that does not target you could still cause you to discard cards, for example. Creatures can still attack you while you have protection from everything, although combat damage that they would deal with you will be prevented.
    • Gaining protection from everything causes a spell or ability on the stack to have an illegal target if it targets you. As a spell or ability tries to solve, if all targets are illegal, that spell or ability is countered and none of its effects happen, including unrelated effects to the target. If at least one target is still legal, the spell or ability does much as it does to the remaining legal targets, and its other effects still happen.

The following notes focus on what it means if your life total can not change:
    • Spells and abilities that would normally cause you to gain or lose life still while your life can not change, but the life-gain or loss-life simply has no effect.
    • Protection from everything will usually prevent damage if it would be dealt to you, but some damage can not be prevented. In this case, because your life total also can not change, that damage has any other effects that it may have to be from that cause you to lose that much life (such as effects from lifelink or infect) and triggers and effects can see that damage Even though your life did not change.
    • You can not pay the cost that includes the payment of any amount of life other than 0 life.
    • If a cost includes causing you to gain life (like the alternative cost of an opponent's Invigorate does), that cost can not be paid.
    • Effects that would replace you gain life with some other event will not be able to be applied because it's impossible for you to gain life. The same is true for effects that would replace having you lose life with some other event.
    • Effects that replace an event with you gain life (like Words of Worship's effect) or having you lose life will apply and end up replacing the event with nothing.
    • If an effect would set your life to a certain number that is different than your current life total, that part of the effect will not do anything.
    • If an effect would cause you to exchange life totals with another player, the exchange will not happen. Neither player's life total changes.

The following notes focus on the phasing keyword:
    • While a permanent is phased out, it is treated as though it does not exist. It can not be the target of spells or abilities, its static abilities have no effect on the game, its triggered abilities can not trigger, it can not attack or block, and so on.
    • Phasing out does not cause any "leaves the battlefield" abilities to trigger. Similarly, phasing in will not cause any "enters the battlefield" abilities to trigger.
    • Any one-shot effects that are waiting "until [this] leaves the battlefield," such as that of Banishing Light, will not happen when a permanent phases out.
    • Any continuous effects with a "for as long as" duration such as Mathas, Fiend Seeker ignore phased-out objects. Any such effects will expire if their conditions are no longer met after ignoring the phased-out objects.
    • Each Aura and Equipment that phases are attached to a permanent that is phasing out phases in with that permanent and still attached to it.
    • Each Aura and Equipment you control attached to a permanent that is not phasing out phases in attached to that permanent if it can still be attached to that permanent. If not, it phases in unattached. An Aura that phases in unattached will be put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based action. Auras attached to players.
    • Permanents that phase out with counters phase in with those counters.
    • Choices made for permanents as they entered the battlefield are remembered when they phase in.
    • If a token is phased out, it will phase in your next untap step begins. This is a change from previous rules.
    • A permanent phasing out causes a spell or ability on the stack to have an illegal target if it targets that permanent. As a spell or ability tries to solve, if all targets are illegal, that spell or ability is countered and none of its effects happen, including unrelated effects to the target. If at least one target is still legal, the spell or ability does much as it does to the remaining legal targets, and its other effects still happen.
    • If your step is somehow skipped your next turn begins, your phased-out permanents will not phase in until the next step you actually have, but you'll no longer have protection from everything and your life can change again.
    • Any creatures that phase in under your control as your next step will begin to be able to attack and pay a cost of T during that turn.
    • If you gain control of another player's permanent and it's phases out, if the duration of the control-change effect expires before it phases in, that permanent phases in that other player's control your next untap step begins. If you leave the game after your next step, it will take place.

• why was my previous comment removed? Did I violate a mana drain policy I was unaware of. Please PM me whoever did it.

• TMD Supporter

@gkraigher said in [C17] Teferi's Protection:

why was my previous comment removed? Did I violate a mana drain policy I was unaware of. Please PM me whoever did it.

The FAQ might be a helpful starting point to answer your questions.

• Administrators

It's not a big deal, there's no accumulated warnings policy and honestly your post wasn't a big deal ... I'm just trying to institute zero-tolerance for discussion of B&R in strategy threads, it's causing too much of a problem on the site.

• @brass-man
    Thanks. I appreciate your work on this.

• I think this card needed uncounterability to be interesting.

If you are using the card proactively (with Balance or Dreadnought, e.g.), the possibility of getting blown out by a counterspell (and especially Flusterstorm, thanks to the card's high mana cost and the fact that storm count will be at least 2) gives me significant pause.

If you are using the card reactively, are you sure you wouldn't be happier with another counterspell instead? The only situation where Teferi's Protection seems clearly better is against a storm Tendrils kill. In most situations you are just postponing the inevitable for a turn, unlike Orim's Chant et al, which do actually hinder your opponent from developing their strategy.

• if Mentor doesn't get restricted in the next couple of weeks, I expect this card to see some play in Vintage. It reminds me a lot of Baby Jace. The design on the card is elegant, and it has too many abilities that can be used in too many ways for it to not be an amazing magic card.

It's less playable in legacy (again, see Baby Jace) than it is in Vintage because of Storm and Workshop decks. I think this card is actually playable vs Shops. Especially if you are main decking a copy game 1.

• I believe the lethal vapors combos work with the card if you do it on your opponent's turn. But that's a pretty loose combo lol.

Nectopotence wouldn't allow you to pay life. Or you would have payed the life to put the trigger on the stack, then this card would resolve. Either way, it's not abusable with necro/bargain/griselbrand

• @brass-man

Gotcha. I read the specific forum rules and realized what I had done. I like the policy a lot, hopefully it keeps the topics on point.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.