Reverting cards to original functionality

• Well I butchered that paste. Circa 1994 U/w Fliers with Armageddon was a fringe deck. It had natural game against other control decks because it could Power Sink into Armageddon. The Djinn could also outclass most other fliers of the day like Serra and Sengir. If Consecrate land did some splash damage against your matchup the deck was passable. Arabian Nights has 2 cards that cemented what The Creator had in mind with the Djinn. Pyramids and Diamond Valley.

Antiquities also further clarified the still uncodified (?) concept of 'Sacrifice' (despite alpha having a card bearing the name). I'd need to research but I think Revised cemented the concept in the rule book. Djinn was played as a Destroy after Revised.

alt text

vs.

alt text

Here is antiquities where the reminder text is present.

alt text

Remember this gem?

alt text

Djinn was played as a destroy effect for years, it's a terrible card in modern magic either way but would be an interesting player in 93/94 if you could combo with Consecrate Land.

• I miss my Illusionary Mask. I want that to go back to the original functionality!

• Just for my own curiosity, but what use would there be for Zodiac Dragon or Djinn even if they did have printed functionality? I don't see them getting played either way. Or is there some deck that I am missing? (I get the Dragon+Bazaar synergy, but that is not good enough to be worth putting in a dredge deck IMO).

• TMD Supporter

@mourningpalace Zodiac Dragon, specifically, would be an infinite combo with cards like Wild Mongrel, Noose Constrictor, etc. It's also a better Squee for cards like Bazaar of Baghdad (as you said) and Survival of the Fittest. It provides endless discard fodder to enable cards like Hollow One. I could keep going but if it gets errata'd I really want Oshawa Stompy to come back with a vengeance.

• @hierarchnoble Yeah, I get all that. Just does not seem good enough to me to see vintage play, but I could be wrong. Is there a haste creature that this combo's with? Or something with evasion or trample?

• @thewhitedragon69 said in Reverting cards to original functionality:

I miss my Illusionary Mask. I want that to go back to the original functionality!

Eh, the masks printed text says 'Summon'. For those that want the 'uncounterable' Mask back I think I disagree with the creators intent. He used the word Summon to mean cast quite a bit. Mask essentially was a fake card. Its Unllusionary Mask and honestly it requires hidden information, possibly a judge at a sanctioned event.

Do I think it would be cool as a quasi Aether Vial yeah ... would it break vintage, maybe, probably not the artifact hate is savage you can revoke it, etc.. Plus we have Cavern of Souls. On the Dreadnought side we've got Orb now.

• TMD Supporter

@mourningpalace said in Reverting cards to original functionality:

@hierarchnoble Yeah, I get all that. Just does not seem good enough to me to see vintage play, but I could be wrong. Is there a haste creature that this combo's with? Or something with evasion or trample?

I dunno. A two card combo into an 1000/1000 creature seems pretty good to me, especially when it could be dropped 1st turn, and easily found (Survival of Fittest).

• @joshuabrooks Without haste, trample, or some sort of evasion, it is far easier to deal with. Plus the dragon's ability is a trigger when it hits the graveyard the way I read it, so the creature could just be bolted or swords in response to the the first activation. Its good, don't get me wrong. Just not sure if its worth all the effort to try and campaign for this change. Plus dragons are so rare and expensive now, I don't see this being a thing.

I don't get the Djinn thing at all. Card seems terrible by today's standards.

• TMD Supporter

@mourningpalace A Survival of the Fittest deck seems easily equipped to include Anger and Brawn in its creature package, which also creates interesting scenarios with Hollow One or Vengevine beatdown. Still, this is all just B&R-style "what if?" anyway, so it isn't going to be perfected until it exists.

• @hierarchnoble Anger and Brawn are interesting. Sounds like fun to play around with.

• TMD Supporter

@hierarchnoble said in Reverting cards to original functionality:

@mourningpalace A Survival of the Fittest deck seems easily equipped to include Anger and Brawn in its creature package, which also creates interesting scenarios with Hollow One or Vengevine beatdown. Still, this is all just B&R-style "what if?" anyway, so it isn't going to be perfected until it exists.

Let's not leave Wonder out in the cold!

• @mourningpalace

I fully agree with you. Zodiac Dragon with Noose constrictor and Wild Mongrel would be fair. It would also be green/red fair and the last time I checked there weren't many green/red decks in the format.

It would be as fast as many combo decks and fall very flat vs cards like hangarback walker and zombie tokens.

It seems a lot more fair than Vault key and time Vault.

Generally speaking, it would lead to more archetypes in the format, which is exactly what Vintage needs right now.

• @gkraigher it might be on-line. But given the existing rarity and price, I doubt dragon would do much in paper. It's $300 with absolutely no use or playability. Imagine what it would jump to if it was playable. I don't think a lot of people will pay that much for a fair deck that might not even be a thing. But I agree it would be nice to see it happen.

• @mourningpalace

It's not on the reserve list. I would encourage an immediate promo copy of the card to go along with its errata.

I think it would be so powerful it should be banned in legacy and restricted in Vintage.

Basically I am calling for it to be a restricted vintage card only. Remain effectively banned in legacy and edh like it already is--even though it isn't.

• I was a bit dissapointed on Modo, what Transmute Artifact currently does. I had in mind, that you could transmute a Su-Chi into an Alladin's Ring. But its a triggered ability, not a Mana Ability. Just sad panda(

• @gkraigher So, you want wizards to change the errata, then re-print it, and then immediately ban/restrict it? Seems like an unlikely course of action they would take.

• Is there any push to revert Bazaar of Baghdad back to its original wording? Currently its at "draw cards 2, then discard 3 cards.", the original wording has an addendum that if you draw 2 or less cards you mill instead of draw (which would not trigger dredge).

• @john-cox "No spells may be cast between drawing and discarding cards." That's actual card text so I think your analysis may need some work.

• @mourningpalace

That's basically what they did with time Vault. Except they didn't reprint it.

Cube players would also want the card. Demand would rise if they changed it. It would be a perfect judge promo (ironically enough) if they did change it. They are running out of cards to promo. Capture of Jingzhou is the last one.

• @bazaarofbaghdad said in Reverting cards to original functionality:

@john-cox "No spells may be cast between drawing and discarding cards." That's actual card text so I think your analysis may need some work.

Its also a ruling.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.